Notices

Don't get complacent

Old 07-11-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't get complacent

I did, and I am sorry.

Take care of your sobriety. Treat it carefully, respectfully, gingerly.

I took sobriety for granted, thought I could have "just a couple." We know how that ends up.

I will be starting again tomorrow. Thank goodness this is one place where we never give up on each other, and understand that help is always there.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you back C4G - hope you can work out what you need to do to make this the last time

D
Old 07-11-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Change4good. You have been afforded another chance at sobriety, how fortunate you are many do not make it back and die from this terrible disease. I agree, we must value our sobriety and make it a priority. I am so glad you survived and realize how important sobriety is.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I reached out to someone I met at an AA meeting tonight. Sent her an email.

I understand that I think I am smarter than my addiction. I hate the thought that I can't control it. But I need to embrace the fact that I need something beyond my own devices to remain sober.

I made the mistake of being a voyeur at meetings and on this board, not investing completely in getting better.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Knowing those things is a step in the right direction C4G - now you need to internalise them - *really* accept them.

The smartest person in the world will still die if they take enough poison.

D
Old 07-11-2013, 09:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Welcome back! You are smarter than your addiction. You just have to take charge and act like you are.

If you have been sober by choice for a day (or even an hour), you have the skills and ability to do this. You literally are able to say no. Just do it over and over and over again.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
iwh

i don't have a good grasp of the word complacent, but i am learning that contentment is a good place.

it's the ego for me. i still struggle with this. not sure how to survive with out ego, but it's that **** that get's me back into problems.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Change4good View Post
I made the mistake of being a voyeur at meetings and on this board, not investing completely in getting better.
I learned a lot from others' insights and support, but I also learned a lot from my mistakes. Sounds like you have, too. By his own account, Thomas Edison explored 3,000 ways to create electric light before he found one that worked.

Originally Posted by Thomas Edison
The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
See? You're already doing the very best thing of all.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
iwh

lol, how'd you do that? great Thomas Edison quote.

i love this. get cool & be sober.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad you're getting straight back on the wagon C4G....I know you can do this. Isn't it amazing the lies our alcoholic brains can tell us? Despite lots of irrefutable evidence to the contrary, it can still appear ok to take that chance on drinking again.

We know better don't we?

Best of luck to you. Stick close to SR x
Old 07-11-2013, 10:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
I learned a lot from others' insights and support, but I also learned a lot from my mistakes. Sounds like you have, too. By his own account, Thomas Edison explored 3,000 ways to create electric light before he found one that worked.

See? You're already doing the very best thing of all.
Thank you Ready. Yes.

I believe Edison said something like, "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

This resonates with me.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Change4good, back. Yes, this is one place where we never give up on each other. FANTASTIC.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad you found the way home sober, once more.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm right along with you ChangeforGood. It baffles me that I continue to go back to drinking after various stretches of sobriety when I know full well how I will feel afterward. This addiction is powerful and sneaky. But we aren't giving up and that is what's important. Today is a new day.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Glad you're back, C4G, and that you reached out for help here and with the lady at AA. I got complacent too so now I'm also back in the early days of recovery. I also need to accept that I just can't do this by myself and I really have to throw myself into recovery and reaching out for help. We can do this!
Old 07-12-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

complacent...is it that we go back to drinking...or that we give up on living.

I don't want to live. I want to coast. I trudge up that hill, then get on my tobaggan and slide down...then get PO'd that I have to trudge again. I don't WANT to trudge. I want the thrill to go on and on, I want the ride to never stop..so when I get tired of trudging...I look for another easy way.

I want it to be different for me than it's been for every other living thing since the dawn of time.

Glad your back!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Happy to see you came back! I too have recently slipped and started drinking again after being sober for the longest period of time since I made a decision to live a life free of alcohol. And, geez it was rough relapse... worse than the other ones.

But, I'm glad I came back here and glad you did too. Thanks to lurking this site and commenting here and there I have learned a lot that has been able to keep me sober, even in times of weakness. And I'd like to think we are smarter than are addictions, otherwise we wouldn't know we were addicted. I think its more a matter of making a commitment to sobriety and not backing down no matter what even if we just have to take it one day at time.

Good luck to you and hope today has found you well.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Our addiction has a lifetime to wait for our one moment of weakness. I go to AA meetings so I never forget and stay forever vigulent