OT--Let me kvell a bit

Old 07-11-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A work in progress

OT--Let me kvell a bit

I love that word, kvell. I picked up a lot of Yiddish expressions when I moved from my white-bread hometown in Colorado to NJ. Kvell, for those who don't know it, means swelling up with pride.

My older son, now 26, has had a very tough time learning to cope with life. He's always had trouble coping with life--went through bouts of depression and anxiety as a young teen, wound up in a couple of fairly serious legal scrapes (one of which landed him in a group home for a year). He's EXTREMELY bright but was always socially and emotionally behind. He lived with me for a year while he was attending community college--dean's list one semester, all F's the next. Up until a couple of years ago, he had never held a job longer than three months. He never did manage to get his Associate's degree. He got his certification as an EMT (a job I think he would do very well) but after a halfhearted job search, simply gave up.

So a couple of years ago he got a regular job (with benefits) delivering medical supplies and lab equipment to hospitals. Good job for him, not a lot of socializing, mostly just driving. But he FINALLY discovered that it feels GOOD to work! He liked his bosses, who seemed really happy with his work and with his attitude, and with his problem-solving ability (this was the same kid who couldn't bring himself to call his own bank about a problem with his account five years ago).

He texted me tonight, sending me a photo of the award he was just given by his company at a big banquet for various companies in the healthcare industry. It was for "stewardship," and there was a nice speech for him when it was presented. Then he called me, and he was going on and on about how great it felt to be appreciated. He also got a promotion and a raise.

Now, none of this stuff would be a big deal for a lot of young men--especially one with my son's IQ. But for my kid, it is HUGE. I am so, so proud of him. And I feel like sending a great big thank-you to his boss, who helped him discover the joys of a job well done.

But that wouldn't be cool.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mazel tov!
Old 07-11-2013, 08:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats proud mama. This just touched my heart. You see, I also have a son with a very high IQ, got a full scholarship to college, then lost it. He also received an award this year from work.

So congrats
Old 07-11-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I love that story, Lexie. There is nothing better than hearing your child proud and happy, which makes it a very big deal.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lexie, that is such a wonderful story! Be proud mama, kvell all you can, that's marvelous!!
Old 07-11-2013, 09:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is so hard to find good employees, and even harder to find ones you actually give an award too. Sounds like he is doing well mama bear.

Congrats!
Old 07-12-2013, 02:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's awesome.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

That's awesome! Congrats!
Old 07-12-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Awesome .... that is definitely something to kvell about. For obvious reasons, I LOVE hearing stories of underachieving boys getting it finally.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Love happy posts, thanks for sharing Lexie!
Congrats to your son for a job well done.
~T
Old 07-12-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dude, that just freakin' rocks, there's no other way to say it. Congrats to you both!
Old 07-12-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-12-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Lexie, I had no idea what kvell meant. I was not expecting such an awesome post. I am having some challenges with my son today.....anxiety....and it was so great to read this uplifting story.
Yay mom!!!
Hugs,
MamaKit
Old 07-12-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Thanks, guys. At one point his dad and I thought he suffered from a bit of Asperger's, just because he was so "different". And he made some very worrisome friends--some of them seriously damaged people that he was attracted to--maybe because they, too, were "different" and suffered for it. He's extremely kindhearted, and very much a defender of the underdog. He lived with a young lady (and her 4 y/o child) for a year or so, and she had serious mental health issues. I was SO relieved when he finally moved out, and horrified when I heard some of the stuff she had done to him. He seems to have grown up a WHOLE LOT in just the past year or so, realizing (and appreciating) what is healthy, and outgrowing some of the hostility he used to have to the world.

He is coming to visit me here for the first time since he moved back to Colorado after living with me in 2007. He just made his first ever plane reservation all by himself, with his own money he has saved. It all sounds like the sort of thing any 18 y/o could do, but for him it just took a little longer. It's such a relief to feel like he is finally turning out to be someone capable of having a happy life.