Notices

new guy, needs advice

Old 07-11-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new guy, needs advice

I have been drinking since I was 21 (42 now). I have never had any problems until now. For the past 4 years my drinking has shot threw the roof. Due to work issues and my home life. A month ago I started having major panic attacks. I went to see my doctor and he put me on some meds to clam me down. He did a full blood work up on me. Everything is good but my liver,AST 75 H, ALT 52 H, BUN 5 L. I have no clue how high this really is. How high is it really? I don't recall what all the doctor said because, I was in total shock. Yeah I know I should not have been shocked at all. So far I have cut my drinking down by at least 75%. I will go for a day or two before I will have 2 to 3 beers. I am taking milk thistle, and drinking green tea. When I do not drink for a few days there is zero physical or mental withdrawals. Which makes me feel better. I do not intend to totally quit drinking beer. I love to try all different types, and I even brew my own. I do not take any meds, except for my panic attacks. I do not even take anything for a headache. So the only cause has to be drinking way more than I should. I guess my only question is about my lab results. Thanks
Old 07-11-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hippie Rock~n~Roller

Hi rupc, I am new here too. I dont know about the liver results but I can share this with you. My ex husband was a big drinker. He was a DJ in a bar and people bought him drinks and shots constantly for 4 hours each night. He then wound up being diagnosed with tuberculosis and the Doc said that the medicine he had to take for it would be hard on his liver so he shouldnt drink for a year. Well there was no way that my ex was going to stop drinking so he would drink with the medicine and it kept him really sick so he stopped the medicine. Anyway a few years after he had stopped the meds he became very very ill. When he went to the Doc again he told my ex that he was experiencing liver failure and put him on a donors list. Time ran out and my ex died of liver failure. My point to all of this is........... take your Docs warning very very seriously. I watched my ex fade away to a skeleton of his former self and I would not wish that to happen to anyone else. Please take care
Old 07-11-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Welcome to SR! Nice to see you here.

We can't give medical advice on this site. If you Google, you can find many sites online that will give you more information about your lab results. I have used them in the past for myself.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Here's a thought. Call your doctor.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have a LFT every month to get my Drivers License reinstated. The Ministry of transportation needs me to prove to them I am not drinking. If I deviate from "normal range" I do not get it back ever. Yea it sux, and I did not even get a DUI or anything - Another story.
I always get a copy of the results because on the sheet it says what Your "Normal Range" should be within. I also like a copy so I can compare and see month by month how much they are improving from me not drinking.