Notices

New beginning.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New beginning.

Hello
I have never posted on any forums before, nor have I ever been a part of any kind of groups like this, so, this is a whole new thing for me...As is my battle with sobriety. My enemy - Pills & Alcohol. I've been an addict of both for roughly 15 years. I've been in recovery for 3 months now, and everyday is still a fight. So, if anyone can relate, I will gladly accept any advice that anyone may have for me on how I can make my situation somewhat better. It's been a long time since I've had a happy day, or seen my smile....When will the anxiety stop? The cravings? The thoughts....It's not as bad now as it was in the beginning, but it's still here, daily. I'm proud of myself so far, as I haven't relapsed....'yet'....But the anxiety puts me into a bad, BAD place. Especially at night, when I can't sleep. And I haven't slept thru the night even once yet since my sobriety started. So....I look forward to hearing some of your thoughts, ideas, advice, and experiences.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Hi! Welcome to this forum and to joining an Internet group!
I'm new to SR too.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Anewchapter36,

Congratulations on 3 months! That is awesome and you should be very proud of yourself.
I can only tell you from my experience that it took me a long, long, long time to feel better after I stopped drinking. Like months and months. I was sad, sad, sad for the first few months.
And I can tell you that I did eventually feel better and better and better.
I hope you can find the strength to continue, it is so much better now and well worth the hard work.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome. This is a good place to hang out and get some good ideas and identification. I need AA which has helped many millions over the years. I like and need flesh meeting of which I could easily get to 4 a day in my area. A big thing that's needed for the long run is to be honest with our selves and not to pick up the first drink/drug. In order to continue with long term sobriety we need to look at the reason we use. The main reason for most of us was not being able to deal with our feelings in a healthy manner. Stay tuned. BE WELL
Old 07-11-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anewchapter36 View Post
Hello
When will the anxiety stop? The cravings? The thoughts....It's not as bad now as it was in the beginning, but it's still here, daily.
You have said it yourself.....not as bad as in the beginning. See? It does get better, even if only a little, tiny bit at a time. Eventually the good will outweigh the bad.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you
It's nice to hear from people who have been there..
I have been crying a lot...Is that normal?? I am trying so hard to be in a good mood, and to not be depressed, but I feel like I'm failing in that department And yes, facing problems and dealing with emotions is something I'm not good at, and now that I have to face them, it's almost like I don't know how. And in turn, I get angry & cry. I have been running & hiding from so many problems & feelings in the last 15 years...And hiding from myself in some ways. Now that I'm not hiding behind drugs & alcohol, I literally feel exposed..(so to speak)..Now I just need to learn how to live! Am I confusing you yet, lol?
Old 07-12-2013, 05:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

And yes, facing problems and dealing with emotions is something I'm not good at, and now that I have to face them, it's almost like I don't know how. And in turn, I get angry & cry. I have been running & hiding from so many problems & feelings in the last 15 years...And hiding from myself in some ways. )

It sounds like you're doing really well not drinking. But, dealing with the problems and messes that we've hidden from ourselves for so long, is really the toughest part of recovery. And, there's no quick fix, no easy way around it. My advice is to just go slow. Try to focus on one issue at a time and just make small steps of progress. I was thrilled to find that making one change in my life caused a ripple effect and others things started to feel better too.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How have you guys dealt with the cravings? (if you had/have them)? They get so bad sometimes, and it literally makes me break down & cry, and I get sick to my stomach :'(
Old 07-13-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When I finally stopped I attended many meetings even when I didn't want to. That was to hear what I needed to hear, That was many years ago and I still attend. One suggestion that helped me was to NOT think about drinking, think non drink thoughts like going to a spa or a romantic evening with...... It works if we let it considering what we did to ourselves for so long. BE WELL
Old 07-13-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Anewchapter36

this technique was useful for me with cravings

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

and yes it's very normal to be emotional for a while - I call it getting our feelings back

D
Old 07-13-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ugh, feelings suck, lol!
Old 07-13-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ugh, feelings suck, lol!
Nahhh feelings are great; when we know how to handle them.. Just like you I hid\drowned mine for a few decades so Yea I am not the best to tell you how to deal lol But I can say that posting here and dealing w\ them one at a time and taking it as slow as I can has helped and Even given me some pride So hang in there it gets better an easier ...