Notices

on the road

Old 07-10-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

on the road

So today is day 3 and my anxiety is through the roof. My mind is on some other planet I feel. I'm nervous I found a meeting for tomorrow...my first meet and I know its a good thing and everyone will understand what I'm going through. I just don't know how i will walk through the door. I mean obviously one foot on front of the other, but emotionlly i don't know how I will do it. I also keep thinking if I want to speak or not. I wasn't aware of all this when I decided to seek help. I am going to keep my promise to myself and get help. I guess what scares me right now is how long this will all take. How long it will be till i can do normal things again.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

Go with the flow, and go easy on yourself. The first week is a tough time. It does get better, but not as quick as we would like.

I guess if people are at a meeting, at some point they went to their first. we're family
Old 07-10-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome disco.

There is no time limit. Everyone is different and living sober is a process, a life long process. It gets easier for sure but it is still life long. There is no magic fix.

If you are an alcoholic you will always be one. For me there is no moderation. If I drank today I would drink the same if not more than I drank three months ago when I stopped.

If you are worried about the meeting you can call AA and they will have someone pick you up or meet you there. You may want to do that. It does help, I did that. You don't have to speak at all if you don't want to. Just listen.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi disco - I think it's best to try and stay in the day, as hard as that might be.

You really will look back at this period and marvel at how quickly things became normal again - don't forget we drank for years - it will take a little while to recover from all that mentally and physically.

D
Old 07-10-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Disco

I felt so much anxiety about going to my first meeting. I only did it because I was tired of feeling like i was weak and pathetic for not doing it. it was pretty misplaced though. i was basically a fly on the wall. i just wanted to observe and not be noticed and the first one was just like that. I slipped in and out and really didn't get anything out of it, but it was in no way a bad experience. After my second meeting at a different place, a very nice man came up to me and talked a bit about AA. He very gently tried to get me to return and we had a very nice conversation.

I don't think its for me at this point in my life, but the experiences were in no way bad. It is worth checking out to see how it can help you.

Good luck to you.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is my first time hear and reading all of your post makes me feel so much better. already I do not feel so alone in thi journey..THANKS
Old 07-10-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much this is making me feel alot better. I appreciate your kind words and encouragement. I feel more confident about the meeting tomorrow. I am truely thankful for your kindness.