Notices

100 Days - Positivity, Self-Esteem & Others

Old 07-10-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

100 Days - Positivity, Self-Esteem & Others

Today marks my 100th day sober! I feel like I've uncovered my life again. Things are clicking into place nearly effortlessly, though I've taken action and steps toward my new life... so I guess it's not entirely effortless Just seems simple, in retrospect, at this point anyway...

What I'm encountering isn't surprising to me. Just wondering how others have and are coping with it... I know, for those of who've battled and overcome addiction, it seems we come out at a little bit of advantage with the coping skills and lifestyle changes required... unless you've faced a life threatening, back up against the wall experience... where you come out on the other side renewed and perhaps, spiritually awakened... the beginnings of an awakening, at least... I doubt there's as much motivation for people who've not faced a life-threatening addiction to make radical changes...

I've been mentioning possible future plans to my husband, friends, therapist, group therapy members... and it seems I'm being met with... doubt?? And negativity. It seems everyone wants to look at the down side of things. I am a skeptic myself, so I do understand the value in questioning... I question lots of things. But when it comes to carving out a life... the big decisions... career, occupation, business ideas, writing, etc... well... I don't want to limit myself anymore. My lowered self-esteem all those years hurt me there, tremendously. And my addiction played central role in that. ******** growth, etc.

So now that I'm finally coming out of this fog... I want to get my MFA in Creative Writing. I also want to keep writing online from home while I start some other small businesses, all run online from home. Blogging and Kindle book publishing being two ideas that are do-able.

It seems everyone I mention this to just wants to squash it. I'm getting where I don't even want to open my mouth anymore... and these are people that are "supposed" to be supportive. Maybe I am reading too much into their responses?? My therapist referred to my writing as my "hobby"... and any writer knows... lmao... that writing isn't a hobby. It's work! Whether you are paid lots for your writing, or just eek by.

*sigh*

I need some support. I know SR is my best line of support sometimes... I need to some cheering up, and some words of wisdom...

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats to you Jennie, you have been a great contributor here on SR and an inspiration to many.

Regarding your plans, don't let anyone tell you what you cannot do. If you have the resources and time to get your MFA, by all means pursue it. And regarding your other aspirations, you'll never know until you try, right? I certainly wish you the best of luck and wouldn't discourage it at all.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 100 days sober! I wouldn't depend on the opinions of others in deciding my goals for my life. You do what you need to do and do it for yourself.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

why do you care what others think? As long as you aren't going to put your family into some sort of financial disaster by paying for the education, it's really nobody's business.

With that said, I don't believe there is much of a return on investment for creative writing degrees - I think either you can write or you can't...

But, I say do what makes you feel right.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

oh, and BTW...some husbands feel challenged by a wife going back to school. I don't know whether it's the fact that they are bettering themselves or that they are going to around other people who are bettering themselves.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Congratulations on the 100 days .

For me having ambition and dreams is all very well insofar as it dosn't effect my serenity and contentment , certainly for this alcoholic having high hopes and ideals was one of my problems .

I don't build my happiness in life upon anything in the future as it dosn't exist , what i have now is key .

I'd say steady as you go , don't burden yourself too much, build a real solid foundation in sobriety .

Plan what you want to do and work it step by step

Bestwishes, m
Old 07-10-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Before it goes any further... (1) I do care about the opinion of my husband, friends, family and group members... this does NOT mean I am dependent on what they think or say... big difference, and (2) If you do the MFA right, it's paid for ...it can be, anyway... so money is not an issue, and yes... I do have the talent.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Don't listen to the naysayers. Get to polishing that writing sample. I want to apply to an mfa program one day. Don't give up.

The Rough South Of Larry Brown - YouTube
Old 07-10-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Crossfitdad View Post
why do you care what others think? As long as you aren't going to put your family into some sort of financial disaster by paying for the education, it's really nobody's business.

With that said, I don't believe there is much of a return on investment for creative writing degrees - I think either you can write or you can't...

But, I say do what makes you feel right.

This is exactly an example of what I don't need... thanks anyway CFD. No, I'm not going to get a MFA to further a career, I'm going because I want an intensive writing workshop. Yes, I can write. There is no doubt there.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Go Jennie, 100 days is awesome! Great job!
Old 07-10-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on 100 days Jennie!! That is so fantastic!! A big happy smile and hug to you!!

As for your plans and goals,...I think you should go for it.
Here's my two cents: Would you be happy if you settled and never pursued it? I never understand when other's 'poo poo' the expression of dreams and goals,... while I'm sure they're well intended, do they really have any experience to draw from to squash the ideas? What makes them the experts in what will make you happy in your career path? The most common factor that I hear from successful, creative artists/writers is they were usually the only ones who really believed in their own dreams.

I'm going through major transition as well, and vow to never go back to the 'office sales job' that I had for twenty years. While some may enjoy it, it never made me happy, in fact it made me depressed. Personally, I think that life is far too short to not do what you love.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Before it goes any further... (1) I do care about the opinion of my husband, friends, family and group members... this does NOT mean I am dependent on what they think or say... big difference, and (2) If you do the MFA right, it's paid for ...it can be, anyway... so money is not an issue, and yes... I do have the talent.
Sounds like you have everything you need covered - when is your first class ;-)
Old 07-10-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Sounds like you have everything you need covered - when is your first class ;-)
Haha. Got a few ducks to line up in a row first
Old 07-10-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Smile

Congratulations that's amazing!! And a for the creative writing - go for it and good on you. You're a true inspiration for many people on here.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Haha. Got a few ducks to line up in a row first
Absolute worst case scenario is that you you don't like it and you are out the tuition for a class or two. As long as you have the financial wherewithal, or someone else to pay for it ( even better! ), then I see absolutely zero downside to it. Sure you'll need to spend some time on the classes, but it will be time well spent.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Absolute worst case scenario is that you you don't like it and you are out the tuition for a class or two. As long as you have the financial wherewithal, or someone else to pay for it ( even better! ), then I see absolutely zero downside to it. Sure you'll need to spend some time on the classes, but it will be time well spent.
I know I'll like it, I mean... it's going to be intense, work... I've taken creative writing classes here at a university writing program that ranks in the top 25 MFA programs in the country.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I know I'll like it, I mean... it's going to be intense, work... I've taken creative writing classes here at a university writing program that ranks in the top 25 MFA programs in the country.
I should preface my previous statements by divulging that I work in higher education, so i'm a bit biased! Returning adult students are one of our major student groups now, and most universities are tailoring some of their programs specifically at that group. More flexible class times, hybrid courses, online course, etc. It's probably the best time to go back to school as it has been in decades.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well my schedule is wide open really. I have the time. I'm afraid I'll just have to go with whoever accepts me in... if they accept me, lol. I'm willing to go with any schedule.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Congratulations on 100 days
And as for the naysayers go, they can naysay all they want: go for it and watch them change their tune once you achieve your dream :
Old 07-10-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

LOL Carlotta Love it... *big grin*