Notices

help

Old 07-09-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

help

I just got through with a 14 day out patient program. I am 19 days sober.

The problem is that I had to move in with my sister and brother in law. They are hoarders, he is a control freak (won't let anyone cook, plates my dinner for me, and I must eat everything on my plate...and those are just a few examples. My sister is still using but won't admit it.

I got a job 40 minutes away it's where I used to live, and I'd be closer to my daughter. I would like to find some meetings, meet some people, and see if anyone needs a roommate. I'm just not sure if its a good idea. I DO know that I have to get out of my sisters house.

What do you think?
Old 07-09-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

My advice is to go to those meetings every... single... day, rain or shine, staying at your sisters or not, job or no job, pink cloud or tears. In the beginning its the best thing you can do. Things will fall into place.

Best wishes on your new path.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

While it's not ideal it's a place to live - you can at least be thankful for that. And it will most likely be temporary if you are planning on getting your own place eventually, right? Regarding meetings I'm sure there are some around - check the local phone book for the local AA chapter and they can help you out.

Congrats on your sobriety as well - make sure to keep your focus on that at all costs - you can do this regardless of the surroundings. Stay with us here on SR too - you will find a lot of support and help.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR bgirl - we're glad to have you with us. I hope it helps.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just keep telling yourself its not forever and use that frustration as motivation to improve your circumstances and get the heck out of there asap! In the mean time, keep going to as many meetings as you can. Respect the rules at the house and be polite whenever possible, avoid confrontation if you can. You'll be looking back one day and you will be so glad you had that experience because when you do get into a better living situation it will be so awesome and you will really appreciate it. How do I know? Well I lived in a shed when I got sober. Not ideal. Then I lived on a couch. Then in a house with 14 other sober people. Didn't like those places but now I have my own place and I love it. It gets better!
Old 07-09-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, we are here to help support your efforts to stay sober!