Notices

Terrible jones

Old 07-08-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Terrible jones

I am on day 28 and have had a terrible jones. Feel real agitated. I have anxiety disorder which I self-medicated with alcohol. I am taking a couple supplements that are working miracles with the anxiety (I am convinced I would drink again without them), but today seems worse than before. I know you probably never totally kick the desire but I was wondering how long did some of you guys notice before the really strong pull towards alcohol started to subside?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I guess I would ask myself if there is something going on right now that is causing me to want to pick up. Some outside stress of some kind?

Not saying that the cravings are not there for no reason but for me the feeling to want to hide come on when I am stressed over something.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Having general anxiety, it comes for no reason, at least not good ones. It's something I had since I was a young teenager and long before I drank alcohol.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

For me the major cravings were done within a month or so. They became less frequent during that time as well. I doubt they will ever be 100% gone from my life, but they are definitely manageable and recognizable enough that I know how to deal with them.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can relate to the anxiety....try to push through the cravings.........do anything you need to do to not pick up and drink! I kept myself at home a lot as I didn't trust myself to go out. I'm getting a little braver but I still have those kind of days. Keep on keeping on!
Old 07-08-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't think the desire to basically 'feel O.K. or better ever really leaves us.
No ultra urgent desires for me, but I still drank in varying degrees, all very much to my disadvantage for 50 years. This disease is excrutiatingly tricky.

Herbal supplements may help, along with support groups,creative interests,hobbies, and a strong conviction to go through the really hard yards when required. I lacked the latter and suffered for it.....
Old 07-08-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Having generalized anxiety myself, I can relate to being anxious for no reason at all. Ride the wave, and you will come out on the other side. Picking up a new hobby, or finding something that will take your mind off of the anxiousness will help. What about taking up jogging?