Notices

First day here

Old 07-08-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile First day here

First day I have had the nerve to post. Trying again for the bazillionth time to quit drinking. Every time I quit for a week or so I get sucked back in. This insanity has got to stop. I usually just read what you guys have posted and it does inspire me to quit until the weekends social events roll around.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to sr addi

I am pretty new here too there's lots of good advise and helpful people.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Addi

Welcome to our family.
Its great to have you here.

Do you have any plans for stopping - such as AA or RR or AVRT?

My best to you
xx
Old 07-08-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome addi!
i hope you stick around. best of luck to you
Old 07-08-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

as some have suggested--' to have a plan'--a program? I quit several times on my own, but always went 'back out' when i got to comfortable...found I could not do it on my own...so I went to AA....takes a bit to get comfortable with the rooms, but now realize i could not have stayed sober without AA. 26 months & still going....need the meetings 7 the fellowship to stay encouraged...
Old 07-08-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Addi, welcome, Trying again for the bazillionth time to quit drinking. You are FANTASTIC. I tried a bazillion times myself, and because I never gave up on the 10th of this month I'll be 3 years sober. Addi you can do it, rootin for ya.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Same here, tried to stop too many times to count. Glad I just kept trying, tried lots of programs, found SR too! Good day I did and keep trying, never give up. Today can be the first day, one day, hour, minute, don't pick up the drink.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow! Thanks for all the positive messages! Not sure of my plan. AA is not very "anonymous" in my town. Husband, family, and friends all big drinkers so won't get much support there. I can go without during the week it's the weekends that get me!
Old 07-08-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Addi View Post
it does inspire me to quit until the weekends social events roll around.
Ah, therein lies the problem. It takes a lot of changes to make recovery work. Why don't you change your weekend routine. Go out for a hike, go shopping, have coffee with a friend, and try to avoid the people and places where drinking is going on. You can do this.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It sounds like you still see alcohol as a reward.
Something nice to do at the weekend.
Or maybe it's the only thing you know how to do. I was the same.

I think I tried somewhere along the way to just drink at the weekend as part of my attempts to cut down.
The problem was I felt resentful all week without a drink. I almost wished the week away.
Then my weekends started sooner. A little treat for getting to thursday with no drink.

In the end I just decided it was easier and better for me to not drink at all.

My best to you
xx
Old 07-08-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I too suggest changing your weekend routine. Do something different. And log on here a lot to read and post for support when you feel weak.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You're both right. I guess I do see it as a reward and I do need to change my weekend routine. The problem is all the dinners, social events, ballgames(tailgating) ...are what I do with my family and friends (and have done for 25 years!!). I have to learn how to be in these situations without drinking, but as I'm sure you know that's easier said than done!
Old 07-08-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

In my experience I avoided events where alcohol was the primary reason for being there.
After I got a month under my belt, I started to go to events again and because I had banked quite a few days without a drink, I did not want to ruin my wining streak so to speak, so found it easier to abstain.

I also find it quite eye opening being sober at such gatherings.

I learnt lots and lots about my drinking.

That not everyone got blackout drunk like I did.
Not everyone staggered around drunk like I did.
Some people had two or three drinks. I never did that.
The minority that were really drunk, were really, really boring to be around.
I also learnt that weddings, parties, bbq's, etc etc are okay for one or two hours, but they become quite dull after that.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You're both right. I guess I do see it as a reward and I do need to change my weekend routine. The problem is all the dinners, social events, ballgames(tailgating) ...are what I do with my family and friends (and have done for 25 years!!). I have to learn how to be in these situations without drinking, but as I'm sure you know that's easier said than done!
Old 07-08-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I too could hold off during the week sometimes, but could never get past that first weekend. Until I found SR and put into place all the great, though sometimes difficult to accept, advice that I read here. I thought my life wouldn't fit in with sobriety and all it would take to stay sober. In a way, I was right because I really did have to change routines, people, places, and things, but I don't regret it and it was worth it. If you want sobriety bad enough, be willing to make it the priority and do whatever is necessary to protect it. If you falter, get back up, and keep adding things to your plan until it sticks.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the advice. Weird power outage here so I was forced to read some really inspirational books (by flashlight) that really made me appreciate great books and being back on line !
Old 07-08-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Addi,
Never give up on the mission. You can do this. I quit quitting a bazillion times myself. Sometimes, it takes a few tries to get it.
I think that in order for this to be a success, you may have to change the things that you are doing on the weekends for awhile. We are here for support! Please keep posting and reading
Old 07-08-2013, 09:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Addi, you inspire me as well. Welcome and thank you so very much for posting. Each time we try and fail we learn something even if all we learn is "I keep failing ... how come?". It's a process that took me years to finally start putting some months of sobriety together. I'm far from being "out of the woods". Suffice to say that this site has been a huge help. Please keep posting.