why do they stop going to meetings?

Old 07-08-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

why do they stop going to meetings?

any suggestions for a husband who has 13 years of sobriety that hasnt celebrated in two years and no longer goes to meetings? hes not drinking but certainly not the "nice" person i once knew.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

let me just add in, ive been sober for 5 years and active in aa. whenever i try to suggest he call his old sponsor or go to mtgs, i get told he doesnt need anyone telling him how to run his life. eek, help!
Old 07-08-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Lot Of Love Out There, Man.

He has to do it for himself. Many at 5 or 13 years take off for a few years. Some return when the pain gets great enough, I hope he is one of them that returns before going back out.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i know he has to do it and want it for himself. id just hate to see him rip apart our family in the meantime. im really getting tired of the 'i hate you's' and arguments.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Why don't you ask around your meetings about why people quit going? What I usually hear is that it had to do with a resentment, or with complacency.

Might be time to add Al-Anon to your recovery toolbox. We also have a "double winners" thread around here.

Knowing why he isn't going isn't going to change him. You need to get some good boundaries in place for yourself about what you are willing to tolerate in your marriage.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eileenmarie View Post
i know he has to do it and want it for himself. id just hate to see him rip apart our family in the meantime. im really getting tired of the 'i hate you's' and arguments.
I am so sorry eileenmarie.

No, he does NOT get to mess up your family if he is white knuckling it for now.
Arguments and "I hate yous!" That sounds awful.

Yes, he has to want if for himself and do it for himself.
You have your own program to run, and if this is making you crazy, it cannot be
good for your program.
What do you need to do for you and your family eileenmarie?

Consider your choices.

Beth
Old 07-08-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

ive certainly considered everything possible. Ive been going to therapy since last july and have been staying very close to my network and praying and praying and praying. its just getting very difficult. i asked him to leave but he wont. i also went to a few al anon meetings but to be honest, the people were a bit judgmental - insinuating if he doesnt drink, there is no problem. but we all know what a dry drunk is like. i guess i havent hit my breaking point or id make him leave or leave myself. we have a little girl (3 1/2) i hate to see her grow up this way. its just so hard to accept that he wont get help - when hes been sober since he was 19 (32 now) its like hello its simple just go to a meeting and et your crap together. but according to him, there is no problem. sigh. argh i wish there was a magic wand.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

his best friend (who he doesnt communicate with any more) suggested he and their sponsor have an intervention. i told him to stay out of it bc he has to want it to get better. and my sponsor also reminded me we dont chase drunks.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Here is the link to the thread http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...loved-one.html Join us, you are not alone
You might also consider going to Al Anon. I always say that AA saved my life but Al Anon saved my sanity. If you are in a big city, there are some Al Anon meetings called Double Winners which are for people like us who are both alcoholics and codependents. There you can share about your codie issues or how is drinking is triggering your own alcoholism with others who understand without feeling weird.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

being sober and being CONTENT in your soberity are different things....i have one lady, HOSTABE to AA...its like she is STUCK, and other one, wants to use her tools in REAL life and not be stuck to AA ....

just my 2 cents
Old 07-09-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-sobriety.html

this is something my friend gave me from AA, she is in her recovery now for 3 years...and practising her TOOLs in real life now...

she lives a CONTENT sobriety