OT: seeing Dr tomorrow. Time for the strong stuff

Old 07-07-2013, 10:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT: seeing Dr tomorrow. Time for the strong stuff

I seriously need anti depressant help. I'm doing everything I'm supposed to, the good recovery work, but emotions been a rollercoaster for too long, still many flashbacks of moments that were really special to me.

This has gone on wayyyyyyyy to long. Crying attacks still...sometimes feeling one hair away from calling and grovelling....just anything to stop the pain!!

And looking forward to the therapist coming back from vacation end of July so I can get appropriate support and get working on this stuff.

Wish me luck!
Old 07-07-2013, 10:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Gluck and get some vitamin D therapy, even if you don't feel like it, get out there! Hike, swim, bike ride, whatever.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's a good idea. I've been so hermitted in the house, just taking my itty bitty doggy for a walk has been an exercising accomplishment! Just sooooo many changes to absorb last couple years.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's easy to hole up and isolate yourself. I have to remind myself that my antidepressants do only half the work; the other half I have to do by being aware of my downhill-slope behaviors and counteracting them with the stuff I know belts (socializing, exercising) even if I hate the thought of it...

I hope the doc can help. And don't give up if the first thing doesn't work: I tried three antidepressants before finding one that worked.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have effectively treated my chemical depression with exercise and yoga. (Even though yoga is exercise, it has a spiritual component to it, so I think of it differently.)

Sometimes though, I do think people need meds to kick start their healing. I know it's hard to force yourself to exercise when you are depressed, so it's very good you are seeing a doctor and taking care of yourself.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
It's easy to hole up and isolate yourself. I have to remind myself that my antidepressants do only half the work; the other half I have to do by being aware of my downhill-slope behaviors and counteracting them with the stuff I know belts (socializing, exercising) even if I hate the thought of it...

I hope the doc can help. And don't give up if the first thing doesn't work: I tried three antidepressants before finding one that worked.
Yeah...I've been frantic---seeking support and I want to get down to business, doing the recovery work...it's so hard to make useful progress when you're fighting continual flashbacks at everything you see, dreaming of him all night, he's the first thought when you wake up, uncontrollable emotional rollercoaster from up and being in the moment, content, hopeful, to crying hysterically because memories of joy from 6 years ago are suddenly triggered and blot out everything else....all that crap still taking over my head/emotions after two years!!!!!

Ugh it's just out of hand....been trying to recover from "losing the drug (him)" for too long now. Really sick of making very little progress, emotionally speaking, anyway.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can say it has certainly helped me. I debated doing it for years until a friend finally convinced me to go and just try it. I have been on them about 2 months now. I can say for me it helps. It definitely balances out my moods. I am for the most part upbeat and poistive.I still occasionally feel "roller coaster" like but not very often. More like a few times a month compared to a few times a week or day as it used to be. I also exercise, meditate, involved with Al-anon, work the steps etc. All together it is helping. I wish you luck and hope it works for you too.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Anti-depressants and exercise.

If I stop doing either, I'm on a downward swing within a week.

xx
Old 07-08-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by unsureoffuture View Post
I can say it has certainly helped me. I debated doing it for years until a friend finally convinced me to go and just try it. I have been on them about 2 months now. I can say for me it helps. It definitely balances out my moods. I am for the most part upbeat and poistive.I still occasionally feel "roller coaster" like but not very often. More like a few times a month compared to a few times a week or day as it used to be. I also exercise, meditate, involved with Al-anon, work the steps etc. All together it is helping. I wish you luck and hope it works for you too.
Thank you, unsure.... me too!!!!! 25years ago I was in this space and in inpatient. Made progress but got stuck after the crisis period ran its course. Finally got on meds and that made a huge difference.

Went on a different med at this latest crisis but it stopped working.
Looking forward to getting back on track here...
Old 07-08-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have huge issues with anxiety. I've had excellent luck with Wellbutrin (buproprion). For me it seems to slow the hamster wheel in my head. Not that I'm sane now (haha!) but it took enough of the edge off that I could start dealing with the underlying problems.

There are drawbacks - side effects can be difficult and some of the anti-depressants are hard to come off. People often have to try several different drugs, too, before finding the one or combo that work/s for them. Do your research (on reputable sites like WebMD) and talk with your doctor about what issues are important for you.

I totally agree with the posters who say to exercise and make yourself get out there. My tendency is to withdraw when distressed, and it becomes a vicious circle. Good luck to you!!
Old 07-08-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DreamsofSerenity View Post
I have effectively treated my chemical depression with exercise and yoga. (Even though yoga is exercise, it has a spiritual component to it, so I think of it differently.)

Sometimes though, I do think people need meds to kick start their healing. I know it's hard to force yourself to exercise when you are depressed, so it's very good you are seeing a doctor and taking care of yourself.

Let us know how it goes.
I second yoga. It gives you something regularly to go do. Not to mention it improves your balance, needed to dodge zombies.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Arg...I think it was you who posted about menopause and meds in a previous thread? If so, do you think that might have something to do with your moods?

I didn't suffer too much with mood stuff but boy oh boy I sure am grateful for a good night's sleep!
Old 07-08-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hope you get some relief, soon, Arg! You'll get past this--here's hoping it's soon.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chickadees View Post
Arg...I think it was you who posted about menopause and meds in a previous thread? If so, do you think that might have something to do with your moods?

I didn't suffer too much with mood stuff but boy oh boy I sure am grateful for a good night's sleep!
Yep, dat were me. I've been on Hormone Replacemtn therapy since then and boy am I grateful.

The male population of Northeast Rochester should be grateful too, because I was getting close to...finding a way to let them all know what they're missing.

Why keep the festivities all to yourself, I say.