AVRT/Rational Recovery Book Recommendations??

Old 07-07-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question AVRT/Rational Recovery Book Recommendations??

Im just finishing Rational Recovery the new cure and ordered The Art of AVRT. Can anyone recommend any other books on this subject from Jack Trimpey or other authors? Or are there any good videos on it? Thanks
Old 07-08-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

AVRT is a trademark owned by Rational Recovery. Because of this, all formal stuff on the topic comes from RR. I think that the 2000 + posts in the AVRT discussion thread here might be the best informal resource on the subject that exists outside of the RR website.

You might find it helpful to look at other cognitive approaches to sobriety, and investigate SMART, REBT and mindfulness. I find there to be a great tie in and overlap.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by TameTheBeast View Post
Im just finishing Rational Recovery the new cure ...
Congratulations!

You are at the threshold of making recovery a quick and short event, as opposed to making it a lifelong involvement in a recovery way of life.

What are your plans for the future use of alcohol/drugs?
Old 07-08-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
AVRT is a trademark owned by Rational Recovery. Because of this, all formal stuff on the topic comes from RR. I think that the 2000 + posts in the AVRT discussion thread here might be the best informal resource on the subject that exists outside of the RR website.

You might find it helpful to look at other cognitive approaches to sobriety, and investigate SMART, REBT and mindfulness. I find there to be a great tie in and overlap.
Thanks I will check them out, heard of SMART but not REBT or mindfulness..
Old 07-08-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
Congratulations!

You are at the threshold of making recovery a quick and short event, as opposed to making it a lifelong involvement in a recovery way of life.

What are your plans for the future use of alcohol/drugs?
I will never drink or use again, and I will never change my mind!
Old 07-08-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I will never drink or use again, and I will never change my mind!
When I made this identical pledge, I recognized that any interest in utilizing other recovery programs to help me maintain abstinence was my Addictive Voice. I think this is a fundamental tenet of AVRT. I don't think it means a person will threaten their Big Plan if they learn about other programs to understand their nature.

I do hear about people somehow tweaking other recovery programs towards non-recovery modes of self-improvement; but for me, that would be a profound regression, because I find so many other varieties of social inclusiveness in our world outside the narrow confines of people believing they must struggle together to stay stopped.

What do you feel is driving your interest in other recovery programs?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I made this identical pledge, I recognized that any interest in utilizing other recovery programs to help me maintain abstinence was my Addictive Voice. I think this is a fundamental tenet of AVRT. I don't think it means a person will threaten their Big Plan if they learn about other programs to understand their nature.

I do hear about people somehow tweaking other recovery programs towards non-recovery modes of self-improvement; but for me, that would be a profound regression, because I find so many other varieties of social inclusiveness in our world outside the narrow confines of people believing they must struggle together to stay stopped.

What do you feel is driving your interest in other recovery programs?
Well I love AVRT so far, I tried the AA method, made it 8 months, 4 months etc but always went back to drinking. I truly feel free now but when I start something I usually get a bit OCD and I guess I just want to keep reading about AVRT and learn as most as I can about it. I don't necessarily feel I need anything else. It just baffles me that it can really be that simple and that I am cured. I wish everyone struggling with other programs could hear about AVRT and Rational Recovery.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

That was my suggestion, GT, about SMART, REBT, and mindfulness, not TametheBeast's. I agree that AVRT's position on these is that no activity or program is necessary for sobriety, we are all already sufficient to the task. Identify, separate, believe in yourself, done.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well I love AVRT so far, I tried the AA method, made it 8 months, 4 months etc but always went back to drinking. I truly feel free now but when I start something I usually get a bit OCD and I guess I just want to keep reading about AVRT and learn as most as I can about it. I don't necessarily feel I need anything else. It just baffles me that it can really be that simple and that I am cured. I wish everyone struggling with other programs could hear about AVRT and Rational Recovery.
That's funny to hear your Addictive Voice trying to tell you you can have OCD about not continuing an addiction. Your AV would also love to have you remain "baffled" that quitting for good is a quick enterprise of personal responsibility. I think that bafflement is a result of the "Collective Addictive Voice" in our Recovery Group Movement oriented society.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think that bafflement is a result of the "Collective Addictive Voice" in our Recovery Group Movement oriented society.
that's a good concept!

in my first few months i liked to read about AVRT and pored over the book and loads of stuff online, some of it felt like i was trying to fill my head with pro-sobriety concepts, but i did spot a sort of hungry pause whenever i laid off, like 'it' was waiting for this 'phase' of studying sobriety methods etc to end, so it could be business as usual.

or maybe just burn myself out on it all, get to a point where it sickened me, 'oh stuff these silly buggers battling with addiction, it looks too hard - pass the wine!'

it's something to watch out for IMO.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I got AVRT new cure, small book and Art of AVRT plus greater expectations vhs, is there anything else on the subject or by Trimpey? Anyone know where I can get the old AVRT journals?
Old 07-26-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm really into this AVRT thing. I'm early days again of course but hell, I gotta start somewhere! It seems like the radical, revolutionary... yet common sense approach. So I've ordered the book Rational Recovery from the UK. It'll take a while but oh well I'll be hanging around these forums.
thanks everyone
Old 07-27-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm really enjoying this Jason Vale book Kick the Drink. Thought it would be hokey but there's lots of good stuff in there.