Jack Trimpey

Old 07-06-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Jack Trimpey

Anyone else ever wrote to him? He seems very interesting, I sent a email about an order and he wrote back saying "Let its Highness, your Beast, count time and you'll do fine." Very interesting and noteworthy that he takes time to respond to people. I heard you can even call him. Although I wish his dvds etc were a bit cheaper..
Old 07-06-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you can call most anyone who wants $$$ from you.
greetings from cynical fini.

more importantly, though, it's great you seem to be finding things that work for you!
Old 07-06-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree he does seem a bit money hungry but I guess who blames him? I think his cure really does help So far I have been able to tame the Beast for 4 days and just started my Big Plan. Thanks for your kind words fini!
Old 07-06-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
He does make money as an author, but that doesn't mean that his heart isn't in it or that he's trying to scam.

He ended his own addiction after all, so it's not like he's just blowing smoke out his azz. Its probably fair to say he has a tendency to be rather zealous and a lot of people think he's kind of a weird dude. Here nor there though really, because he obviously knows his sh*t and countless have found the technique effective.

I'm glad to see you took your life back from your addiction. It's way better on this side.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
He does make money as an author, but that doesn't mean that his heart isn't in it or that he's trying to scam.

He ended his own addiction after all, so it's not like he's just blowing smoke out his azz. Its probably fair to say he has a tendency to be rather zealous and a lot of people think he's kind of a weird dude. Here nor there though really, because he obviously knows his sh*t and countless have found the technique effective.

I'm glad to see you took your life back from your addiction. It's way better on this side.
Thank you that means a lot! I feel great today!
Old 07-06-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Experiencing ACE...that feeling never has to go away. Very happy for you.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

my old substance abuse counselor disliked the fact that Trimpey (and Stanton Peele, and others) made their living by hawking their products, and said he liked AA because 'nobody made any money off of it'. I retorted with the example of the 12-step treatment center, which of course doesn't count by their logic somehow. beyond this I echo soberlicious sentiments. Trimpey is obviously a bit strange, and a lot of things in A New Cure are strange and Don Quixote-esque, but the thing does work for a lot of people.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Did he really used to post on here?
Old 07-08-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

IMO, it's not the AVRT method that people take as much issue with, as it is Trimpeys stance on recoveryism, learned helplessness, addiction treatment, etc. Those are very volatile subjects for several different reasons, depending on who is objecting.

I think there are ways to broach those topics (topics I personally think are very valid), which may be more effective in getting people to think about those topics than blatantly kicking the beehive as Trimpey sometimes has a tendency to do. Those with a vested interest in recoveryism will defend vehemently and those interested in exposing its problems will do so equally as vehemently and the discussions just get too heated (aka Hell breaking loose) for a board like SR.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"Kicking the beehive" is right, soberlicious.

I understand that the stance towards AA and the recovery movement is central to AVRT, but I wonder if a "catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" approach might have been more effective in getting this message across...
Old 07-09-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree deckard, but it's a fine line. My guess is that Trimpey does what he does they way he does it because he views the recovery movement a mingling of beasts, as a collective beast per se. So (again, my assumption) what better way to call it out than to shine a light, just as one does with individual beasts.

I'm not saying I agree with him.

Neither am I saying I don't.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't understand why people think he's a money grabber...? I mean it's only fair he makes a living out of all the effort he has put in.

I agree with the honey approach though. Personally I think the guy's a bit of a nobular and that was solely down to the aggressive tone in the book, but I still credit AVRT with keeping me sober
Old 07-09-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

agreed, i don't care anything about him except he saved my life.

if he was a paramedic and we were being saved from a car crash we wouldn't really care about his opinions, outspokenness etc, would we?! nor turn down the chance to be saved!