Notices

I want to become sober and I love my wife.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face I want to become sober and I love my wife.

Hello everyone!

First, this site seems awesome, and much love to all!!

Second, as you might have guessed from the context, I've got an alcohol problem (and a sweetie who I love a lot).

I'm educated (like most of you), and know that alcohol is stupid (like most of you). I'm hiding it (like some of you), and newly married (like some of you).

I just need some motivation. I've read through Alan Carr's book, but it didn't convince me enough. It prompted me to stop for two weeks before wondering "what if," which is what landed me where I am today. I know that drinking is awful, but I still do it, and I love my wife MUCH more than it. But I still do it, and I don't tell her because I believe (each day) that I will stop in spite of nights indicating otherwise. This deception reveals itself as much to myself as it does to my wife.

Are there any recommendations from here? Any books or ideas? I really recognize my problem, love my wife, and want sobriety, but there is some small, hard to identify thorn in the way. Thank you all very much.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you read the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous? Google and read "AA's How It Works". See if you can identify.

It saved/saves my life daily.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-05-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For a non-AA approach check out Rational Recovery and AVRT by Jack Trimpey. Lots of discussions on it in the secular connections forum here at SR. Good luck!
Old 07-05-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

sauranic

You couldn't have picked a better place to come to. There are some great people and you're going to get some great recommendations.

I am fairly new to sobriety, day 39. What I can offer is that I think that the thorn that you might be talking about are cravings. Your what ifs are what could be your AV (addictive voice) which anyone who is an addict experiences.

You came here for a reason, if alcohol didn't create problems in your life then you wouldn't be here. You're also hiding alcohol, that's a tell in itself.

You stated that you read Alan Carr's book and it didn't convince you enough. Curious as to what that was I went and looked up the book and when I read the title "The Easy Way to Stop Drinking" my mind exploded with thoughts. If being completely honest it gave me a little fit of insane giggles. I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone who has read the book and who it worked for. If it even worked for one person it's worth it's weight in gold. I just simply find it amusing for me, that's all.

There are many pieces of literature and programs out there to assist in sobriety. You have to find what works for you. Obviously the book didn't. All that I can offer is that with three attempts at moderation (which makes for four times quitting) that what finally worked for me is that I wanted to quit. I have no shut off valve and alcohol was making my life a mess. I have also come to learn that I am going to crave it but have found tools to help me squelch those cravings (perhaps your thorn). For me it's a combo of AA, this message board, an awesome sponsor, and my family. When I start thinking about the what ifs that you're speaking of I immediately come here. I look to see if there's an AA meeting. I make a plan. I do whatever is necessary to divert my thoughts to the what ifs and remind myself that I may feel the way that I do right now but it's going to pass. In a few hours or so I won't be feeling how I do right now and I just need to do whatever it is that I need to do to get me to that place.

You don't say much about how much you drink or how often. Things may differ for you. I was a weekend warrior who sought a path of destruction one night on the weekend seeing if I could break the world record on number of beers ingested in one evening. It really wasn't fun now that I think back on it but it took some time being abstinent to see that. I can't get away with hiding it (which is a good thing) because my husband would smell it a mile away.

You're going to get a lot of good advice here both from newly sober people and old timers. It's life changing and I'm glad that you're here. You've taken the first step. My signature line says it all.

YOU CAN DO THIS!
Old 07-05-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dismember

I think sometimes it's better to just move ahead and not worry about identifying all the "thorns" right away. It was an irresistable temptation to want to have everything figured out at the start. But there's things that cannot be known or rationalized except through experience and time.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful

I know that drinking is awful, but I still do it, and I love my wife MUCH more than it.
There are A LOT of people who love their spouse, children, family and friends more than alcohol but still find it very hard to quit. I found that I was unable or unwilling to quit until I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. In other words I quit for myself. My friends and family could try all they wanted to get me to quit, but until I wanted to stay sober more than I wanted to drink nothing changed.

I also found out that no matter how hard I tried I couldn't quit by myself and I needed help. For me that help is AA, SR (this website) and outpatient therapy. I'm still early in sobriety so I need a recovery program including face to face support as well as SR, and I need to utilize it every day. Good luck and keep posting here often. It's a great place for support, a great place to vent, a great place to ask questions and a great place to educate yourself about alcoholism.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR.

I found knowledge to be empowering. Read around the various forums here. Members here are successfully using many different strategies to stay sober. Find the one that you think will work best for you, and get going! You can do this.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi sauronic

maybe it's time to pull out all the stops - tell your wife and look for support - not only here but maybe even investigate some face to face stuff like AA or non 12 step things like SMART?

I couldn't win this fight with one hand tied behind my back.
D
Old 07-05-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome sauronic. You found a great place. I hope you'll find the answers & suggestions you're looking for. Please keep talking to us - we want to help.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

"The Seat of the Soul" by Gary Zukav

"A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle

"Drinking: A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp

And our Sticky:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rituality.html
Old 07-05-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
I think sometimes it's better to just move ahead and not worry about identifying all the "thorns" right away. It was an irresistable temptation to want to have everything figured out at the start. But there's things that cannot be known or rationalized except through experience and time.
Great post.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think it's good to go to a lot of meetings even if you're still drinking.

What I did was try the "90 in 90"--ninety meetings in ninety days, and not drinking between meetings. I ended up going to a lot more. It can be helpful to talk to a professional; many people need something more than AA, like in-patient our out-patient. The early going isn't fun, but it can be a life changing proposition if you stick with it.

I discovered I was an alcoholic by the fact that I was going through physical changes (detoxing) and obsessing about alcohol a lot. And went on from there.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by sauronic View Post
Hello everyone!

Second, as you might have guessed from the context, I've got an alcohol problem (and a sweetie who I love a lot).

I'm educated (like most of you), and know that alcohol is stupid (like most of you). I'm hiding it (like some of you), and newly married (like some of you).

I just need some motivation. I've read through Alan Carr's book, but it didn't convince me enough. It prompted me to stop for two weeks before wondering "what if," which is what landed me where I am today. I know that drinking is awful, but I still do it, and I love my wife MUCH more than it. But I still do it, and I don't tell her because I believe (each day) that I will stop in spite of nights indicating otherwise. This deception reveals itself as much to myself as it does to my wife.

Are there any recommendations from here? Any books or ideas? I really recognize my problem, love my wife, and want sobriety, but there is some small, hard to identify thorn in the way. Thank you all very much.
You know, getting sober is a process. Many people have to try multiple times to get that one attempt that sticks. I think its a trial and error thing. Most of us have tried the What ifs, the attempts to moderate, cutting back, skipping days, etc. These are all important to try so you can get to the point where you realize you have only two real choices, which are to stop drinking entirely and just take alcohol off the table entirely, or to keep drinking and die. It sounds harsh, but it becomes the reality for almost everyone who suffers from alcoholism. You have started your own process, so that is a positive. Try whatever you want until you get to where you need to be. You can get advice all day and night, but if you are like most of us, you need to figure out what I am talking about on your own for it to be the most effective. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Unfortunately, if you are an alcoholic, loving your spouse will not treat your alcoholism. You have a lot of options to treat it though. You received some great advice. I find AA and working the steps to be the solution for my recovery, but there are many other options.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

One thing that has helped me is sticking with winners. Find people that have a lot of sobriety multiple years. Then do what they do. People with 10 plus years of sobriety know what they're doing and I pattern my behavior after them and take their advice. I failed miserably doing it my way now it is time to listen to somebody else
Old 07-05-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sauronic View Post
Hello everyone!

Love is the strongest help you can find , You sound like you have much love to share and your posting shows that the love you have for your wife is strong. Now is the time to share the strength you have and the love you have for your wife & your life , be strong and know you have come to a great support site. My husband and I are new to this site also but we read the postings for a few weeks before signing up and so glad we did.