Notices

Something I noticed... (on day 5)

Old 07-05-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Something I noticed... (on day 5)

I realized this last night as I agreed to have a second burger at a cookout...

I used to plan all of my eating around drinking. For instance, if I knew I was drinking (which was 6/7 nights) I would go light on dinner. Not because of calories, but because I wanted the beer to eff me up more. If I went out to eat I would find ways to not eat all of my food so I could drink later in the night to feel it more.

It's really fun to sit down to dinner and enjoy it instead of having anxiety over my food killing my buzz later.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Same here. I never ate well when drinking. Now am much healthier and eat a better diet.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know how you feel, I used to completely skip meals for the same reason. Last night I had a brownie sundae instead of a box of wine and it was awesome! I also am on day 5
Old 07-05-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Haha! That's great Jen! It's funny the strange things we do.

At the same time, I really need to be careful with food. I kinda have the double-whammy of being overweight and trying to kick booze.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I never ate when I drank. I would go all day and not eat anything until I was drunk and ready to pass out. Then I would eat and sleep.

There were many times I would put something in the microwave only to forget about it and pass out.

I am 3 months sober. I eat breakfast, a lite lunch and dinner and I have lost 17 pounds. Go figure.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yup..I was a bit of a drunkorexic...skipped food for calories..and booze buzz. I've noticed that yup, I too can eat more (including a giant hot caramel sundae last night) and my weight is hanging tough. I've also noticed how much non-alcoholic drinks I buy now. My fridge is stocked with ice tea, club soda, juices, lime cordial etc. I make fabulous smoothies too!
Before if anyone stopped over I had nothing to offer to drink but wine and water. My ex wasn't much of a drinker (more of a pill popper) so he always brought his own refreshments. Now I have so many choices on hand! I actually have a bottle of sparkling raspberry white grape juice that has sorta champagne packaging with the cork etc. I'm waiting to "pop" that when the next guest comes over. I'm feeling oh so proper hostessy/Martha Stewart!
Old 07-05-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I absolutely noticed a change. I now welcome delicious and decadent foods again that I used to pass on when I was drinking. I eat a lot more nowadays, but have also lost 17 pounds since going sober, ...go figure! It's amazing that when we give up that wasteful poison we actually get so much more in return. I also read that the consumption of alcohol of only 24 grams reduces your body fat oxidation, or the ability to burn fat by nearly 73%.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnwFlower View Post
I also read that the consumption of alcohol of only 24 grams reduces your body fat oxidation, or the ability to burn fat by nearly 73%.
I had no idea. I wondered why I was/am so overweight when I drank more than I ever ate. I know alcohol has calories but I never new it messed with your metabolism.

This just dawned on me the other day that my metabolism must be better since not drinking. I mean the pounds are not falling off in buckets but I am steadily losing weight.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wish that would happen to me! I am eating heavily, but I did that while drinking as well. (I would also eat lightly to leave room for alcohol to take effect, but once I was drunk I would eat everything fatty in sight in a doomed attempt to sober up.)

I haven't been weighing myself, but, after the initial debloating period in the first week, I don't think (based on how my clothes feel) that I've lost an ounce.

Eventually, when I think it's safe to focus on it, I'll have to start carefully watching what I eat. I'm sick of being on the heavy end of "normal."

Snowflower: 17 lbs since January is amazing. You must feel great!
Old 07-05-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Alcohol is the worst thing for metabolism. And Crimson, I'm also overweight. Definitely need to lose 40-50lb. I always pictured drunks as skinny and was always pissed I was fat lol. I'm going to figure out how many calories in a 5 liter box. I'll post the result
Old 07-05-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I can also identify with passing up eating. Went to my first gathering Wednesday evening where there was alcohol and I brought my own little fizzy non alcoholic drink to enjoy. For the first time I actually looked forward to what was being served for food. This, as I watched a woman who had a good glow going and was asked "aren't you going to get something to eat?" say "oh, no, I've been cooking all day and sampling so I'm not hungry". Secretly I thought, hey, I know that drill, it's called make an excuse so that you don't have to kill your buzz!

Jenn99, chocolate chip cookie dough blizzards have been my treat lately.

CrimsonKing, I hear you on the eating. I know I've dropped weight since I quit but I need to be seriously careful because I love to eat and could easily replace one bad habit for another.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ok 100ml =81 calories. This for Riesling. 5 liters = 4500 calories!! Plus slower metabolism. Plus whatever I did eat. My poor body! Our poor bodies!