Notices

From alcohol to food

Old 07-04-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

From alcohol to food

I stopped drinking wine 2/28/13 . My doctor prescribed a drug call anabuse. If I drink alcohol I will get violently ill ... and I hate hate to be sick! So, no more alcohol. I have a counselor who is helping me deal with life without the alcohol escape! Now I find myself in the throws of a food frenzy!! I think I've just switched habits...? I decided to ask my Dr to recommend Lapband surgery for me. "I think" it would be similar to using antabuse, even though I know I have to eat. To me, having the lapband would greatly limit my food intake or "I get really sick".. Makes sense to me. My Dr. sent me back to the gym and to a dietician.. I am 64 and have been on every diet out there. My biggest problem, as with alcohol, is the flucuation in my willpower... I need a strong tool to help me. Has anyone experienced what I'm going through? Has anyone had gastric lapbanding? I really need some strong advice... I am 5'3" and weigh 220 pounds... I am so full of anxiety and no motivation to do anything.
Chicka
Old 07-04-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Chicka - welcome

I think many of us develop a ravenous appetite after we get sober, especially for sweets.

It usually settles down tho - if it hasn't for you and you're concerned I think you were right to see a Dr.

I know you'll find a lot of support here
we also have an eating disorders forum you may want to check out too

D
Old 07-04-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I had went off the deep end with sweets after I quit drinking. I finally just went cold turkey off them. It was a lot easier than quitting the booze. I am not big on willpower myself. That's one of the things I need to work on. I think it's called "delayed gratification." I am overweight too so I know how crappy it can make you feel.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Chicka View Post
I stopped drinking wine 2/28/13 . My doctor prescribed a drug call anabuse. If I drink alcohol I will get violently ill ... and I hate hate to be sick! So, no more alcohol. I have a counselor who is helping me deal with life without the alcohol escape! Now I find myself in the throws of a food frenzy!! I think I've just switched habits...? I decided to ask my Dr to recommend Lapband surgery for me. "I think" it would be similar to using antabuse, even though I know I have to eat. To me, having the lapband would greatly limit my food intake or "I get really sick".. Makes sense to me. My Dr. sent me back to the gym and to a dietician.. I am 64 and have been on every diet out there. My biggest problem, as with alcohol, is the flucuation in my willpower... I need a strong tool to help me. Has anyone experienced what I'm going through? Has anyone had gastric lapbanding? I really need some strong advice... I am 5'3" and weigh 220 pounds... I am so full of anxiety and no motivation to do anything.
Chicka
Sometimes you have to rely on good old fashioned will power. You cant look for a pill or surgery to fix all of your addictions or problems in life. Thats why you drank too, isnt it? To not have to deal with problems? In sobriety its important you learn to stand on your own 2 feet and use self control and your inner strength. You have it, you just need to learn how to tap into it. If you look for a quick fix for every problem you encounter, you will never learn to deal with things in a healthy, responsible way.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lapband surgery isn't like taking a pill. There are significant side effects to having a stomach the size of a silver dollar (go read internet, they are documented). I think that's not a good idea.

What foods are you eating? It's pretty hard to overeat on leafy greens, fruits and vegetables, chicken/turkey/lean beef or pork, brown rice, that kind of thing; it's just not that calorically dense. Is that the kind of thing you're eating most of the time?
Old 07-04-2013, 10:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been slowly losing weight by just changing the fact that I have cut out sugary drinks, and alcohol. I'm not eating candy either. I eat a lot of fresh fruit, and try to eat a balanced meal every day. It's going slow, but I'm losing weight every week. I think the biggest thing I had to realize was that my life needed some small changes that had to be permanent, and they weren't going to happen over night. Just trying to live my life the way I should and good things should happen.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for taking time to respond to my post. Yes, I'm looking for a quick, painless fix to whatever ails me. I'm eating high carb and sugary foods to fix emotions .... I really don't know why I'm out of whack with life.... driving me nuts trying to figure out why all the time.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Carnie Wilson had lapband surgery...lost the weight..and became a raging alcoholic. The two are intertwined and my best guess..is a dopamine reward deficiency thing going on. It is my belief the solution can be addressed therapeutically and spiritually. But..it requires work..and perserverance. Heck...doesn't everything worth having. We addicts prefer the ole quick fix instant remedy approach. Unfortunately there are no healthy shortcuts
Old 07-04-2013, 11:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nuudawn
"Therapeutically and spiritually".... can this be accomplished through AA or OA?
Old 07-04-2013, 11:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Chicka ,

Congratulations on the sobriety

My appatite has increased after getting sober , i always have been a big guy and i got bigger with giving up .
I don't think there are any secrets about loosing weight , eat regular portions of healthy food and excersise .

Being overweight is a long term problem , using food to change how we feel is a short term fix with long term consequences .

I haven't got there yet , but hey, welcome along to the journey , 6ft and 290 lb here

Bestwishes, m
Old 07-04-2013, 11:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I imagine so yes. I am not walking the AA path but I am trying to walk a spiritual one. I have a counsellor as well as some sources of spiritual nurturance that assist me with that. I also have SR. Ultimately you have to start making friends with you..as well as perhaps leaning on a greater benevolent guide outside yourself..whatever that may be. I do believe that the 12 steps help you to get in touch with that...but it's not the only way.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chicka View Post
Yes, I'm looking for a quick, painless fix to whatever ails me.
IMHO it sounds as if you are trying to sooth something inside yourself. Alcohol or food seems to make you feel better for the moment.

There is no quick fix that is long lasting. Getting sober and living life sober is a journey. It takes time and commitment. The point is to look inside, find the things about us or the resentments we hold on to that we are trying to escape from.

I am on my journey. I go to AA. I have a sponsor and I am working the 12 steps so I can rid myself of the resentments I have and come to terms with them.