Notices

Don't know what to do.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't know what to do.

My best friend had been acting different for the past few months. We live in the same apartment so we're always near each other. She takes her computer into the bathroom with her so there's a little bit of background noise. I never knew what was going on until I went into her bedroom to borrow a purse and found a bottle of vodka in it along with a funnel. Then I started to notice that, before she went into the bathroom, she'd go into her bedroom. When she was in the bathroom, I went into her room and the purse was missing. I realized that she has been taking vodka into the bathroom and funneling it into diet coke cans. When she comes out, I can smell it on her breath.
I also found a giant thermos full of wine in her file cabinet. It makes me sad because I feel like she feels like she can't trust me. She can. I just want her to be able to open up to me about it. I so want to confront her about it, but I know she will get defensive and angry. I'm just worried about her and want her to be ok. It's also making me a little mad that she thinks she's fooling me. I know what she's doing. It's driving me crazy to know what's happening and not be able to confront her. Should I? I don't know what to do.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

We like to THINK we are fooling people. Deep down we know we are not.

Even though it is our problem and we can only get the help if we need it, most of us get confronted by family or friends at some point.

You are a wonderful friend for being so concerned about her. Have you thought about going to some Al-Anon meetings?
Old 07-04-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hopefully your friend will seek support for her addiction.

Please take care of yourself.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, worried, glad you found your way here. There is a lot of wisdom shared in this forum; hope you find help here.

There is a section of the forum specifically for family and friends of alcoholics. Here is the link Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information . You may get quicker and more specific responses if you post there.

As LadyinBC suggested, finding an Alanon meeting in the very near future is a great idea. You'll learn a lot there--including that your friend is extremely unlikely to "open up" about her drinking or be amenable to your attempts to help her. Your best bet will be to educate yourself and take care of yourself.

There is a lot of "suggested reading" type material at the top of the page in the family and friends section. Taking a look at that will help you understand what is going on, too.

Again, welcome. You're not alone.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I hope your friend decides that she wants to get better. Perhaps you can just voice your concern in a non threatening way to her. Just let her know you're worried about her well being. In the meantime, get some support for yourself.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your kind words. This is all new to me. I just want to be the best friend possible. I just want to help. I hate that I can't just stop things immediately. It feels so hard to watch this happening to someone I love so much.

Again, I really appreciate everything. This is such a supportive community.