Is is my fault this time

Old 07-04-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ibm

Is is my fault this time

My spouse wanted to go out yesterday -hadn't been drunk for almost a month--got very belligerent ( again) because he started drinking-then he wanted to go to another restaurant. I said no, but by this time he was out of it though he claimed to be fine. He got totally smashed and now is blaming me for dropping him off at the 2nd restaurant saying I shouldn't have listened to him and should have him straight home-i have been through this a lot and even though he really does not want to drink anymore, I did the same thing i have always done-let him do what he wants, he was yelling at me and cursing me in the car so I really wanted to let him have his way-horrible-
However this time, because he probably won't do this again, he is choosing to blame me!?? Saying I didn't love him and was not protecting him-

I will take responsibility-maybe I should never have gone out in the first place then none of this would have happened!
Old 07-04-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

He now thinks it would of been a good idea to take him home? Does he not understand the part where he was "very belligerent?" It's never a smart move to argue with someone drunk. No way, no how. Downright dangerous.
Personal responsibility.
No way is there your fault and I'm surprised to hear you'd even try to own any of this.

Eh, that's the best I have. My bit of experience is I have gotten right in someones face that was doing same thing as your spouse and said "shut the hell up and own it. I'm not fighting a drunk pill popper."
Which is a bit funny in retrospect as I was no angel either.
Cheers
Old 07-04-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Others will have more wisdom than me, but a couple things come to mind.
First of all, you are NEVER to blame for his drinking and his choice to drink, unless you pour it for him, and it sounds like sine manipulation to me that he would even suggest that, and I would urge you to see that and not stand for it.

Second, it feels right that its on him what he does, but I would probably also remove yourself from the situation at the earliest moment when he drinks. It sounds like maybe you did that at some early point. I can imagine that would draw his ire and anger, but that is not your fault

I worry what you say about he won't do it again. From my limited experience, unless he's very serious on recovery, and working really hard ( and even then!) there is a seriously high likelihood he'll do this over and over.

What can you do today for yourself, to move away from this self-blaming and get some clarity and self-care? Do you go to Al-Anon?
Old 07-04-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by ibm View Post

I will take responsibility-maybe I should never have gone out in the first place then none of this would have happened!
Next time, go out by yourself, have a great time and it won't happen....oops No! I know what will happen, he will get drunk and say that's because you left him behind so next time just stay home with him....oops No! I know what will happen, he will get drunk and say that you two are never going out and doing things as a couple.
Seriously, He is an adult and knowing he is an alcoholic he CHOSE to drink.
You did not cause his alcoholism, you cannot control it and you cannot cure it. This is completely on him.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Yes. Yes.

This is ALL your fault. Reading through that I can see that would the ONLY logical conclusion . . . from a drunk.

Good Luck.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ibm

THANK YOU. Calotta-SADIELADY AND LETHE. I am going to cut and paste all of your responses and let him read them.

Needless to say I have come a long way -this really was a first- for me to be blamed this time, really?? LOL
can't thank you all enough! Interesting how my reaction was though. Out to plant two new trees--happy 4th and much, much live and heartfelt thanks-
Old 07-04-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ibm

Ah HAHA. Hammer. No kidding - 👍👍👍
Old 07-04-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

This is what we call "quacking". Nothing you need to take seriously or even listen to.

I'm assuming HE says he "probably won't do this again." We all know he probably will.

He may be very sincere that he doesn't want to drink, but this is what alcoholics DO, at least until they have recovered sufficiently that they don't.

What are your own boundaries? You could decide that if he drinks, you are leaving and he will have to take a cab home. You aren't to blame for his drinking, but you are responsible for your own choices.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ibm

Quacking---!!
Love it love it love it-yeah! That's exactly what it was. I know it's BS but this was a new trick and it really took me by surprise. And though I didn't think I took it seriously I did question. And I consider myself pretty strong and street smart. Haha- thx again for your encouragement-
Old 07-04-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

You can not reason with us alcoholics once we get going. We will say and do anything to continue drinking once we get started. I think most of us actually know this. That stuff about blaming you after the fact sounds to me like classic manipulation. You have no responsibility at all for his drinking and don't believe otherwise.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

IBM, one little friendly suggestion. Reading all this to him as your first instinct is hopeful and wishes he could hear it, but he probably can't. And it sets yourself up for more heartache and disappointment I'd you think that wisdom you find here can be enough to get him to shape up. What I've learned here is that no amount of me wanting to teach or show him or want better for him means a damn. My ABF / ExABF heard plenty such things from me and it meant CRAP in the grand scheme, and only made me feel inadequate and unable to help. Which, gulp, is true. We can't do it for them. I'd really do whatever you can to focus on you.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I second Sadie - you just can't reason with an active drinker. It is so so hard to accept that, but that is part of the "can't control it." You also didn't cause it and looks like you are remembering that "c" now. Happy 4th!
Old 07-04-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sadielady View Post
Others will have more wisdom than me, but a couple things come to mind.
First of all, you are NEVER to blame for his drinking and his choice to drink, unless you pour it for him, and it sounds like sine manipulation to me that he would even suggest that, and I would urge you to see that and not stand for it.

Second, it feels right that its on him what he does, but I would probably also remove yourself from the situation at the earliest moment when he drinks. It sounds like maybe you did that at some early point. I can imagine that would draw his ire and anger, but that is not your fault

I worry what you say about he won't do it again. From my limited experience, unless he's very serious on recovery, and working really hard ( and even then!) there is a seriously high likelihood he'll do this over and over.

What can you do today for yourself, to move away from this self-blaming and get some clarity and self-care? Do you go to Al-Anon?
Sounds pretty wise to me!
In fact, now that I replied, I can find your post easily when I'm feeling low on wisdom.

I let mine alone a lot, when he was drinking. He would hide out and drink, so I kept myself busy. Thought that's what he wanted.

You just can't please them. It's crazy that he was screaming at you for his crap, but it's typical.

Judging from my experience now, I think you'll see this more clearly with a little time and detachment. When you're right in the drama and upset and self-doubt and chaos, you just can NOT think straight!
Old 07-04-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
ibm

Exactly--
Old 07-04-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
ibm

Yep

I cut and paste everythjng then I realized -what the heck am I doing- and decided not to. Duh -DUHHHHHHHH. 👍👍👍❤❤❤❤

Appreciate the wisdom and experience here!! ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
Old 07-04-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ibm View Post
I cut and paste everythjng then I realized -what the heck am I doing- and decided not to. Duh -DUHHHHHHHH. 👍👍👍❤❤❤❤

Appreciate the wisdom and experience here!! ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
Hello ibm, and welcome to a whole new world.

Happy Independence Day!

Once you get that it is never your responsibility when a grown man decides
to get drunk or behave badly, you are on your way!

Here is a little quacker for you.

Beth
Old 07-04-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
ibm

Hi Beth,

AH-HA HA. LOL! You are so right!!!!

Thanks for the quack !!! Yes!!😜😜😃😃😄😄

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-04-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
ibm

Contributing to this forum and hearing from everybody so instantaneously MADE MY DAY. Much love!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery