Notices

Out to the pub

Old 07-04-2013, 03:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Out to the pub

Over the past two nights I have been out with my friends to the pub, and stayed happy and sober (:

On Tuesday we went to an open mic night where I sang and played guitar, I used to do this a lot, but I stopped going at the start of quitting because I found it too hard to be around alcohol. It was fantastic being back, I was welcomed warmly by the local open micers, which was just a lovely feeling.
The only struggle that night was when my best friend who I grew up with continued to talk about brands of vodka and the best bitter and so on. Which normally I wouldnt mind, but I was nervous to sing and I had a craving to drink. He also was a bit drunk, and wafted his alcohol in front of me and kept asking me if I want a 'funny coke' when it was his round. I think I might have just been a bit grumpy because me and my boyfriend had a bit of a bicker, so normally It wouldn't have annoyed me. So although I had a good night, I did struggle.

Last night was brilliant, It was a quiz night down the road from me. We came last out of 19, but we still had a good go haha. I found the drink situation a lot easier last night. I stuck to cordial orange, which just meant I was weeing every 5 minutes haha. At the end of the night, everyone was chatting and they started talking once again about how amazing drinking is, and the best brands and everything. I didn't mind it to much, In fact I joined in a little. I also laughed like I used to laugh. Happppy (:

Thank you (:
xx
Old 07-04-2013, 03:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and good luck. Most people trying to stop drinking find that staying away from slippery situations is to their benefit in the ling run. Alcohol for most of us is cunning, baffling and insidious which means it wants to be consumed even when we don't want to drink. BE WELL
Old 07-04-2013, 04:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I did find my eyes cringing on to other peoples glasses, found my hand sometimes nearly picking up the wrong drink. But I can't just not go out, I'm only 19. I wont let alcohol beat me (:
Old 07-04-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Old 07-04-2013, 04:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You don't say how much sobriety time you have. I know,for me, when I was early on there is no way I could have gone to a pub and been around people drinking.I've done it many times before when I'd quit before and ended up drinking. Last year I had 2 6 weeks stints at sobriety and both times ended up drinking because the people I was with were drinking.

Don't get me wrong, you did well not to drink but please don't be lulled into a false sense of security because it's easy to be caught out when you least expect it. For me,Ididn't want to be anywhere near a pub.At nearly 7 months now and I wouldn't choose to go to a pub where the main focus is drinking.

Keep upthe great work
Old 07-04-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been sober for 5 months, and I remember the first month, it was one of my friends birthdays. I ended up crying and leaving, because the alcohol around me was just so overwhelming. It has taken so much will power to be able to go out with my mates, stay calm, stay sober and have a good night.
I don't think I will pick up a drink. But I feel if my attitude changed, and I felt there was a chance I would give in to myself and have a drink I would start from scratch again and stay away from pubs.
Thank you for your responses, it really means a lot (:
Old 07-04-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for clarifying.Idon't know why but I assumed you were earlier on in sobriety. Never assume!!

You know what is best for you and how you will deal with it if the situation arises. It must be more difficult if all your friends are in pubs etc.I was a home drinker so it was a bit easier

Well done on 5 months
Old 07-04-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job on five months! And on being able to be around drinkers and stay cool.
This doesn't have to end our social lives, just need to play the game a little differently!
Old 07-04-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done for 5 months! I'm only 19 too and have 2 months sober. The social situations an bye awkward at first but once you've established ur not drinking , things tend to ease up and you can relax into it. It is difficult being young and sober though , people always ask why ur not drinking which can be a pain. Once u get comfortable with it being around it won't be a problem. How much were u drinking and when did u start?
Old 07-04-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5 months! I have been to a pub twice in my wee little month or so of sobriety. I enjoyed both times immensely as first time it was lovely to sit on a sunny patio with others. The second time was at karaoke (and lol..I too sang..stone cold sober)..but I had to leave close to midnight as my companion had become annoyingly drunk and was both singing (loudly and out of key) and yelling everything she said right in my ear...which REALLY grates on one's nerves after awhile.

It's wonderful to be able to do what others are doing. I do hope your "young set" do other things tho than just hang at pubs... like going to movies and such.

Just stay in "balance" with life...know what I mean?