Notices

Made it through the first gathering with alcohol

Old 07-03-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Made it through the first gathering with alcohol

Well, it can be done. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is brand spanking new to sobriety. Definitely not if you don't have your head in the game and don't trust yourself yet.

Went to a 50th birthday party for a friend. This group is well known to go long into the evening doing shots etc. etc. I was curious how I was going to do.

I can tell you that it forced me to think about a few things. When I started getting the feeling of "everyone's drinking and I'm not frowney face" I stepped back and was realistic. First, what would I be doing if I were drinking? At that point in time I would have been starting to become very talkative. Going and introducing myself to people. That's really not that bad, I can do the same sober without being overly talkative. A bit later I got to observe people who were a little past the "glow" point. The food was ready and people were starting to get plates. One woman who had quite the glow sat there and was asked "aren't you going to get any food?" Her answer was no, she had been cooking all day and had been sampling. I smiled to myself and thought "tell the truth, you don't want to kill the buzz!". I know that story all too well myself. I left at a reasonable time, but most importantly, I left with my dignity.

Truth be told it was low key. However, when I think of the alternative which was making an ass of myself, overstaying my welcome, and bumming alcohol that other people left behind I'm very happy. There will come a day that I'll be comfortable with this.

Besides, I signed up for the 24 hour club on here so there was no choice there
Old 07-03-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Awesome! You will really be glad tomorrow morning when you wake up without a hangover.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job! Isn't it weird to observe all the people drinking? I was that lady not eating; when you are calorie-conscious, you will choose booze over food-- really unhealthy. I just got back from my first vacation ever without alcohol, and I had a great time! And no hangovers. I had just as much fun, actually more, sober! Keep up the good work!!