Notices

Bad Day

Old 07-03-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bad Day

Just having tons of anxiety and second guessing today. I am in week two. Is this normal?

Any strategies to stay upbeat? I was feeling very positive. Last week seemed to be easy. Maybe that's because I was still hungover for the first half and then excited and hyper-focused about my sobriety the second half.

Now a bunch of thoughts are rushing in like How the hell am I going to socialize? Do I really need to quit FOREVER? Am I freak? Why aren't I normal?

I know this is the demon talking but it's making me panic a bit. Just looking for some wisdom, that's all. Thanks.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Invictus,

I have those rushing thoughts too, so you're not alone. Try to lose the word "forever" from your vocabulary. It's irrelevant, if you think about it. Today you're not going to drink or use drugs. You don't have to worry about tomorrow, that's not here yet. I know it's kind of scary, it is for all of us, I think. So keep coming on here and try to get yourself to a meeting, when I found one I liked it really helped. Good luck, you're doing great.

Brian
Old 07-03-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Invictus, on the 10th I'll be 3 years sober, its been okay, not great, but okay, don't have cravings to drink much anymore but at 2 weeks I was just like you sound. Even when I'm not upbeat I just don't drink. The anxiety and second guessing was far worse while I was using than now. Life is better without the chemicals, I have proven that without a shadow of a doubt. Without the booze I have one less problem than I did before, and I like it. Rootin for ya.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Invictus - everyone of us has felt that way - I certainly did.
The fear of change and doubt is pretty potent - it's also your addiction kicking back.

None of us would still be here in recovery if we lost out on the deal
My life is very different to what it used to be - but it's a million times better.

Don't sweat it - things will work out

D
Old 07-03-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

2 Weeks seems to be a common breaking point - some people think they've got it licked, and slide back into their addictions, and others have a hard time breaking past that point altogether.

If it's any comfort, another trend I've seen is that after 1 month, a lot of the physical symptoms of withdrawal begin working their way out of your system. I found that Vitamin B1 helped me keep my energy level up (you lose a lot of carbs when you stop drinking, which causes lethargy and can lead to even more depression) - if you're trying to go-it without harsh drugs. See if your doctor has any recommendations.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dismember

I'm with cbsmith on this one. Forget about the word "forever." There's no benefit in deciding today what you'll be doing five years down the line, aside from being an impossible thing to accomplish in the first place. If you've stayed sober today it's because you've been making that right decision since you woke up; not because you'd planned it a week ago, yes?

As to whether or not you're normal or a freak. When I get those fears it helps me to look to others. Do you think that I'm an abnormal freak, for instance? (Rhetorical question, don't go hurting my feelings ) I'm an alcoholic. Assuming most the people who reply here are too. If this entire site isn't full of freaks then either you're not one either, or you're some unique, special case unlike every other addict here.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all of the great encouragement and advice.

"Forever" will be scratched from my mindset. One day at a time will replace it. I can't forget that. I know it's not going to be easy, but my life sucks when I drink so there is no option.

This place helps me tremendously.

I feel a little better now.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better about things.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Invictus, sorry you're feeling anxious today. I've had many of these same feelings. I do a breathing exercise I was taught by my therapist. Breath out for 4 seconds, then breath in for 4 seconds, hold it for 4 seconds, then breath out for 4 seconds. It's supposed to reset the the part of the brain that generates the anxiety. It works for me almost every time. Way to go on fighting your way through week 2! You can do this!!
Cheers,
cas
Old 07-03-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Two letters AA is the solution
Old 07-03-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just to echo what others have said..you just deal with the day and its arriving situations. Knocking down each one by one building your sobriety muscle. I too can only focus on the right now, certainly not the rest of my life. Why worry about the rest of my life, it ain't here yet.
This sobriety thing is an adventure, so grab some cool Indiana Jones kinda hat and start living large and brave : )
Old 07-03-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm in week two too and yep, I be anxious! I be fighting myself!
I won today! Onwards!
Old 07-03-2013, 07:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Invictus19 View Post
Just having tons of anxiety and second guessing today. I am in week two. Is this normal?

Any strategies to stay upbeat? I was feeling very positive. Last week seemed to be easy. Maybe that's because I was still hungover for the first half and then excited and hyper-focused about my sobriety the second half.

Now a bunch of thoughts are rushing in like How the hell am I going to socialize? Do I really need to quit FOREVER? Am I freak? Why aren't I normal?

I know this is the demon talking but it's making me panic a bit. Just looking for some wisdom, that's all. Thanks.
Yes, you are only at 2 weeks! Your emotions will be all over the place for a few months or so, but its nothing you cannot manage. Try and not invest too much in your thoughts or feelings, because most of them will be based on withdrawal and addiction.