Notices

Quitting Drinking & Experiencing Withdrawals

Old 07-03-2013, 03:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting Drinking & Experiencing Withdrawals

Hey guys,

My questions are about common experiences and concerns with quitting drinking and experiencing withdrawals. And I'll preface this by saying I've always been a bit of a hypochondriac.

Here is my backstory. I've been drinking 5-6 drinks a night (I'm a large guy if that helps context to quantity at all 6'1", 225, muscular), most every night, for about 18 months. Before that I would drink (get drunk) at a party on weekends or so for maybe a year. Other than that, no history of substance abuse or prior alcohol us.

I never considered myself an alcoholic, as there's been several times in the last year where I didn't have access to alcohol, and was fine. I don't crave it, I don't fantasize about it, I simply did it because I liked it. I wasn't trying to cope or medicate or anything. Whether it was a gin/soda, nice IPA, or good scotch, I simply enjoyed the entire experience of "drinking". My fiance liked desserts to finish of a work night, I liked alcohol, and I've never been one for moderation, so in retrospect, I went overboard.

It hadn't adversely affected my work, my personal relationships, finances, or anything else really, but nonetheless, I've managed to get myself in quite a problem.

About two weeks ago I decided I wanted to drop some body fat, and just get overall more healthy, and thought that cutting out all drinking during the week would be the best way to accomplish both. So I stopped drinking on thursday of last week, and to my unpleasant surprise, I'm experiencing withdrawals.

I'm experiencing insomnia/poor sleep, crawling in the skin, and heart pounding.

After some astute google-fu, I figured out that these are normal symptoms, but that they can potentially get much worse, including seizures and death.

Needless to say, I pretty much scared myself out of my own mind, coupled with the anxiety that I was already experiencing from the withdrawal, I drank a few beers just to stave off the possibility of seizure... yuck. I didn't even catch a buzz, and I wasn't trying to, I just wanted the heart pounding and skin crawling to ease up, and it did.

It seems unlikely to me that I would experience reprocussions as sever as seizures after only 18 months or so of ~6 drinks a night, especially when I've known alcoholics who regularly drank ~20 or so drinks a night.

I had 6 beers monday, and 4 beers today, but I'm still feeling anxious/jittery/and not sleeping. As far as the alcohol itself goes, I feel fine. I'm not craving it, and honestly I would've rather not drank the beer at all, I just can't stand these withdrawals. In all reality they're probably just mild, and my hyochondria is snowballing with anxiety and making it worse than it is.

Is reducing my intake a safe way to cut off drinking? And do I really need to be worried about seizures/etc. with the levels of drinking I described?

I'm going to quit one way or another, but I'd really rather AVOID getting a doctor and prescription meds involved. That stuff scares me almost more than the alcohol.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR jay.Good news you want to stop drinking.

I recommend that you seek medical advice.You are correct in thinking withdrawal from Alcohol can be dangerous,not worth the risk of going it alone.

Wishing you well.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi. I agree with Heath. Each of us are obviously different and have different reactions to different substances we intake, that's why so many items have warning labels. The bottom line in stopping drinking is not to pick up the first drink, simple but not that straightforward for a lot of us especially when the mental obsession gets involved. Over the years I've many stories about quantities ingested and yours easily can amount to be a problem especially when we remember alcohol is a toxic substance. I'd look into seeing a doctor, going to a detox and, don't laugh, going to AA along with reading these posts. BE WELL
Old 07-03-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by jayhasquestions View Post
Hey guys,

My questions are about common experiences and concerns with quitting drinking and experiencing withdrawals. And I'll preface this by saying I've always been a bit of a hypochondriac.

Here is my backstory. I've been drinking 5-6 drinks a night (I'm a large guy if that helps context to quantity at all 6'1", 225, muscular), most every night, for about 18 months. Before that I would drink (get drunk) at a party on weekends or so for maybe a year. Other than that, no history of substance abuse or prior alcohol us.

I never considered myself an alcoholic, as there's been several times in the last year where I didn't have access to alcohol, and was fine. I don't crave it, I don't fantasize about it, I simply did it because I liked it. I wasn't trying to cope or medicate or anything. Whether it was a gin/soda, nice IPA, or good scotch, I simply enjoyed the entire experience of "drinking". My fiance liked desserts to finish of a work night, I liked alcohol, and I've never been one for moderation, so in retrospect, I went overboard.

It hadn't adversely affected my work, my personal relationships, finances, or anything else really, but nonetheless, I've managed to get myself in quite a problem.

About two weeks ago I decided I wanted to drop some body fat, and just get overall more healthy, and thought that cutting out all drinking during the week would be the best way to accomplish both. So I stopped drinking on thursday of last week, and to my unpleasant surprise, I'm experiencing withdrawals.

I'm experiencing insomnia/poor sleep, crawling in the skin, and heart pounding.

After some astute google-fu, I figured out that these are normal symptoms, but that they can potentially get much worse, including seizures and death.

Needless to say, I pretty much scared myself out of my own mind, coupled with the anxiety that I was already experiencing from the withdrawal, I drank a few beers just to stave off the possibility of seizure... yuck. I didn't even catch a buzz, and I wasn't trying to, I just wanted the heart pounding and skin crawling to ease up, and it did.

It seems unlikely to me that I would experience reprocussions as sever as seizures after only 18 months or so of ~6 drinks a night, especially when I've known alcoholics who regularly drank ~20 or so drinks a night.

I had 6 beers monday, and 4 beers today, but I'm still feeling anxious/jittery/and not sleeping. As far as the alcohol itself goes, I feel fine. I'm not craving it, and honestly I would've rather not drank the beer at all, I just can't stand these withdrawals. In all reality they're probably just mild, and my hyochondria is snowballing with anxiety and making it worse than it is.

Is reducing my intake a safe way to cut off drinking? And do I really need to be worried about seizures/etc. with the levels of drinking I described?

I'm going to quit one way or another, but I'd really rather AVOID getting a doctor and prescription meds involved. That stuff scares me almost more than the alcohol.
Yup, that sounds like withdrawal. You may want to revamp your idea on what an "alcoholic" is. Its not the fall down, pee stained, homeless person you may be picturing (every time). It actually comes in different degrees of severity, and is not at all picky on who it effects. Anyone from the CEO of a company to a high school drop out can develop alcoholism. Anytime alcohol causes an issue in your life, its a problem. You may not even recognize a craving for it, but your brain and body do. Why else would you have 5-6 drinks a night, every night? Something in you wants it.

That being said, it sounds like you know its time to quit. You unfortunately will have to sit through the unpleasant withdrawal symptoms without indulging in more booze, but I highly doubt you will have a seizure. I was scared of that as well, and Im not giving you medical advice, but I think seizure's occur in people who drink a LOT more on a daily basis, and have done so for a long time. When and if you ever get to that point, then I would suggest a medical detox. As is, I think you can do it on your own right now. Good luck, and remember, you can live without the booze. Remember, alcoholism is a terminal condition, and if left untreated, always results in death. Its a good thing you are experiencing this now, so you can stop it before it becomes an even bigger problem, which it usually always does. I think it would be best to be super honest with yourself about how much, how often, and why you drink. That is always the best place to begin!
Old 07-03-2013, 05:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey,
My medical Dr told ME the best way is to taper down. Of course everyone is different, and it is good to get medical advice from your own Dr.
I have had a seizure. 3 in fact because I had too much pride to tell a medical professional. I am a VP at a large international company how could I be an alcoholic? I had to get over myself and just open up to my Dr. I hate WD's and my final straw was seeing him. He gave me 3-4 days of meds and I have not looked back.
Life is way better minus the alcohol. Your story is very mild compared to mine so quit while you are ahead.
Best of luck!!!
Old 07-03-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! As others have said, stopping suddenly can be dangerous if you are a heavy drinker over a long period. But you went 4 days (thurs-sun) with no alcohol and didn't have a seizure. I'm no doctor of course, but I would think if you didnt have one in the first few days after stopping, it probably wasn't going to happen. Stop reading Dr. Google's diagnosis lol! If you're really concerned, go to a real doctor. Your addiction can talk you into anything! You might not physically feel the alcohol cravings as you say, but your brain does, and it sounds like it convinced you you might have a seizure if you didn't drink a few beers. Good luck! You can get through this! You did it for over half a week! Keep going!
Old 07-03-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dismember

To repeat what's been said already for the emphasis: there is no way to gauge how you will experience withdrawals by the frequency/intensity of drinking you've done. Relatively "light drinking" alcoholics can have severe withdrawals, while relatively "heavy drinking" drunks might get only some anxiety.

Tapering off with alcohol was standard medical practice once. That was back when polio was also a common illness. Also, when it was done it was medically supervised, by doctors, who kept track of a persons vitals, dose, etc. Home-run, self-administered tapering has a pretty lousy track record where safety has been a concern.

But yeah... there's no possible way anyone of us could assure you that withdrawals will only be at a certain level for you; even if we were doctors we couldn't do it over the internet just via your drinking history. The only way you're going to be 100% certain and safe is with medical help.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice/support guys. My roomate drank the same quantity or more as me everynight for an even longer duration, and decided to quit with me. Yet he luckily is having no withdrawal symptoms at all.

So when I explain to him that I feel so uneasy/anxious/etc. he doesn't get it at all and I feel insane, and alone.

I had 3 beers last night, didn't even catch a buzz (was spread over about 2 hours and included a large meal), and I still have the skin crawling today but the heart pounding feels better. Overall it feels much more manageable. I'll either hold it at 3 tonight or drop it to 2 depending on how I feel come nightfall, and hopefully if all goes well I'll be done drinking entirely by next week. I intended to just stop drinking during the week originally, but I'm dead-set that I will quit drinking permanently now. I hate these withdrawal feelings so much it kills any of the allure alcohol had.

It's just so crazy to me that I look at someone like my father who probably has 2-4 drinks a night, and no-one considered him an alcoholic. I have no memories of him ever even being drunk. I have several friends who will drink a six pack of beer most nights and no-one thinks twice about it. I surely thought I could enjoy drinking for a year or two in my early twenties and not suffer consequences. I was never educated on the possible withdrawal/physical dependence effects of drinking. If I had known, giving my hypochondria, I doubt I would've ever started. I just drank, and felt fine every morning. Never had a hang over, always felt great. All the sudden I decide I need to stop drinking and the floor falls out. I wish I had known before. I only finally stumbled upon it when I was already experiencing withdrawal and looking for answers.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dismember

I've heard it said that an alcoholic isn't defined by how much they drink, but what happens to them when they don't.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
I've heard it said that an alcoholic isn't defined by how much they drink, but what happens to them when they don't.
Astute observation. It took my wanting to quit for completely unrelated reasons to realize I actually had a problem.

I'm actually feeling really happy today that I'm soon going to be done with drinking completely. Dealing with these withdrawals for the past few days has really put me through an emotional rollercoaster, and I'll be happy to say no to alcohol to never have to deal with that again. There are so much better things in life. I'm really grateful to be learning this so young and after a relatively short time-span of drinking.

It'll be ice-tea for me at those happy hours from now on.

Just wish me luck, and if any of you are religiously inclined, keep me in your prayers. I hope the withdrawals just continue to subside and I can move forward and never look back.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Astute observation. It took my wanting to quit for completely unrelated reasons to realize I actually had a problem.

I'm actually feeling really happy today that I'm soon going to be done with drinking completely. Dealing with these withdrawals for the past few days has really put me through an emotional rollercoaster, and I'll be happy to say no to alcohol to never have to deal with that again. There are so much better things in life. I'm really grateful to be learning this so young and after a relatively short time-span of drinking.

It'll be ice-tea for me at those happy hours from now on.

Just wish me luck, and if any of you are religiously inclined, keep me in your prayers. I hope the withdrawals just continue to subside and I can move forward and never look back.
Glad you are moving forward with this Jay. The first couple weeks will definitely be a rollercoaster. Keep your guard up though - after those first few days when the major withdrawal symptoms start subsiding is a danger zone, let their guard down, think that 'just a couple" won't hurt.

And while iced tea is a great choice for happy hour, you may want to avoid happy hour completely for a few weeks - being around others that are drinking early in recovery can also be dangerous.

Not trying to throw a wet blanket on your recovery by any means, just a few pointers from someone who's been there and done that ( relapsing or trying to moderate ) more than a few times. Congrats on your first days and keep it up!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It hadn't adversely affected my work, my personal relationships, finances, or anything else really.

I'd really rather AVOID getting a doctor and prescription meds involved. That stuff scares me almost more than the alcohol.

At the end of the first statement say the word YET after each. That is what was told to me and i scoffed. YET all those came true for me.

and that stuff scares you more than alcohol. How about death does that scare you. it seems elusive but i was there. right there. My withdrawls became the worst at 4 days and i had to be hospitalized.
I am not saying this to scare you but i remember be soo lax in my thinking.

My friend just passed away from withdrawls about two weeks ago.
he said he wasnt drinking anymore but was secretly. then when we called him on it and his last chip was down tried to do it without medical supervision and passed away.

Please get a BIG BOOK online and read the Doctors opinion.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Jay - and well done, you, for 'getting it' that your drinking HAS become a problem for you. I'm a total hypochondriac too, so can relate to your fears.

I know you're adamant about not seeing a doctor, but it really would be the best thing by far for you - us hypos freak ourselves out MUCH more with relying on Dr Google than when a doc actually checks our blood pressure and so forth.

I've found my fears of withdrawals were often (I've relapsed several times, and am about to quit again ) what kept me drinking. But the times I have been medically supervised, and even when feeling like 'oh God, I'm gonna die - from the palpitations, jitteriness, shaking etc etc', my blood pressure tests and such have been relatively benign. But I needed those actual tests by a nurse or doctor to KNOW that.

Far better to be on the safe side, it really is.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jay

I've shared my story elsewhere - I detoxed without apparent ill effect many times...but my last detox was a bad one. I suffered several mini strokes.

I'm not saying that will happen to you - but I do believe the outcome would have been better had I sought professional help.

Tapering never worked for me...I never quite managed to get down to zero.

It's not safer than cold turkey either, not if you don't really know what you're doing.

See a Dr,

D
Old 07-03-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

Tapering never worked for me either.

I too am a bit of a hypochondriac and that ended up being helpful to me in getting sober. I was terrified that I had permanently damaged my liver. Evidently I hadn't, but that threat continues to remind me why I;m happier sober (along with many, many other reasons).

I did eventually fess up to my doctor about my alcohol consumption. It took a bit of doing because the first reaction was just to tell me to cut back! I had to make it clear that wasn't going to work for me. But once I had my doctor on board I felt tremendous relief and eventually less shame.

Good luck and keep posting and reading...
Old 07-05-2013, 11:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Everyone is so different and it's never really about the amount we drink but how it affects us and our lives/body. So many chemical chain/processes get messed up from alcohol and all of our genes are so different that there probably can never ben an exact science to withdrawal.

One heads up for you since you say you are sort of a hypochondriac. While I didn't have any of w/d symptoms you are getting, I did get mild anxiety and it lasted at least a few weeks. Somewhere into week 2 I found I become susceptible to anxiety attacks, and believe me, reading about medical conditions on google only made that worse! I'm over that part now I think. For the anxiety I used hot baths to relax.

Any concerns about symtopms, though, and you should visit a doctor. Everyone's bodies are different.