Notices

Question about Withdrawal

Old 07-02-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about Withdrawal

Hi friends.

I check in almost daily, read threads from new members, and try and offer a few words of advice.

Now that I am sober, I wonder how I managed to escape the horrible withdrawal experience.

My question, did others get sober without experiencing physical symptoms, etc.? I ask out of curiousity, and because a new AA member wanted to know what I could share.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I detoxed many times - sometimes I would feel great, other times I felt like I was literally dying.

Looks like you lucked out C4G - hows sobriety treating you?

D
Old 07-02-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You were lucky!

I did not experience physical symptoms such as shakes, seizures, sick stomach, etc. but I suffered severe anxiety, creepy mental images in my head whenever I closed my eyes and sleeplessness for 4/5 days. I was OK on the 6th day...
Old 07-02-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There were no symptoms I can easily recall. I think the only thing I experienced was a little bit of restlessness at night. And some anxiety, but I have that level of anxiety anyway... so I can't rightly say it was withdrawal. I was a binge drinker, so it's not like I drank every day anyway... so maybe that's why it seemed just like any other time I didn't drink.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I did not. I used to have horrible night sweats and tremors, my hands shook, my anxiety skyrocketed and I had panic attacks. Near the end of my drinking days I had horrible withdrawls, which resulted in three (maybe 4) grand mal seizures, any of which could have taken my life if I was in the wrong place. I bit my tongue so hard during one of them that I needed stitches. I was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance twice, and had these seizures in the presence of family and friends. I was admitted to detox after my final seizure and was then sent into rehab, where I finally had to face my condition and it scared me straight.

In the end it doesn't matter, sobriety is the only path for me moving forward. Whether you've had withdrawls or not, complete abstinence is the only way to make sure withdrawl symptoms and health problems never come back.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

First time I stopped - I felt great. I got over the urges pretty quick and I was ok. I felt like a new me and I was working out and I felt wonderful.

This time - I've had many problems. Insomnia, restlessness, headaches, irritability, itchy skin, GI issues, no appetite (now its better), frustration.. gees. This time has been terrible. I thought it would be like last time but it hasn't been - but I refuse to give in. I don't care what it throws at me, I ain't drinkin'.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I did not have physical symptoms initially at all (something that unfortunately convinced me I was not "truly" addicted the few times in the past I entertained quitting for a day or three) but about seven or so days in I got seriously tired and felt like I had the flu for a weekend. It wasn't the flu but more like symptoms of a wicked, delayed hangover. I was down and in bed with a pounding headache and chills for two days and then I was fine.

I think it was my body realizing we weren't going to be drinking anymore and kicking my a** to remind me that it was pretty unhappy about all that abuse.

The mental addiction was a whole different ball game, though That took a lot longer.

Congrats on you sobriety, Change!

Last edited by Ptcapote; 07-02-2013 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Typo