Notices

The Hump...

Old 07-02-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Hump...

Hey guys,

So, my fear is this (as this happened when I quit smoking): Whenever I quit anything that's harmful as soon as i have a good streak going I say to myself: "Hey, see, I can do this... I'll just do it later and know I can..."

Argh! I can try to talk myself out of it, but it's tough. How do you combat that little voice in your head?
Old 07-02-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would reach into my memory for the memory of how I used to wake up: hating myself and wishing I were dead. That kept me from drinking. I didn't want to go back there.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The "stinkin' thinkin'" is what an old lady I knew used to call it. That voice is a B!

After a few days dry, I will get very excited and usually celebrate with a few drinks, thinking "hey, that wasn't so bad, I've done it before. Just one more night."

The first time I got sober, the voice sort of came a lot less and eventually disappeared altogether. It's hard at first though.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just know that I can't drink. I know where it inevitably leads. I think about what I stand to lose if I delude myself into thinking it's benign. I know my brain & body aren't capable of handling the alcohol. I don't want to end up like my dead mom. I want to succeed at writing.

...these are the things I remember if I ever get a craving (which rarely happens to me anymore)
Old 07-02-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Acceptance, surrender, remember why you came here.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

The first time is the easiest....

If you pick it up again, each time it will be harder to stop. The key is to just not pick it up. Keep your resolve and good things lie ahead.

Good Luck!
Old 07-02-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

So, my fear is this (as this happened when I quit smoking): Whenever I quit anything that's harmful as soon as i have a good streak going I say to myself: "Hey, see, I can do this... I'll just do it later and know I can..."

Argh! I can try to talk myself out of it, but it's tough. How do you combat that little voice in your head?
that was me for twenty years.

posting and reading here daily really helped me stay grounded.

It helped me realise and remember my life was good because I was not drinking, not because I suddenly gained mastery over alcohol.

I could not 'do this'...everytime I added drink to my life I got the same results, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly but always the same.

That kind of acceptance is key to lasting success I think.

D