Notices

New and hi

Old 07-02-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and hi

Hello all. I am here because I need the help and support. Drink is affecting my work life and I'm close to losing my job
Old 07-02-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Pete! There is so much support, wisdom, guidance...and plain and simple ole' caring here. C'mon on in...the water's fine.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.

You will find lots of help and support on here.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! There is a lot of information and support here. Jump in and share your story if you want.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I guess I feel the same as everyone who realises they have a problem. And the thought of going one day seems so hard. And reading up on side effects is pretty scary!
Old 07-02-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here
Old 07-02-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One day is the first step. 24 hours and then one day at a time from then on. That is how most of us do it.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just focus on getting through the right now..it's all you have control over. Although we need to prepare ourselves, not sure scaring yourself with side affects is a great idea. Would love to hear more about Pete.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know. The thought of not having a hangover seems very appealing. Can't actually remember the last time I experienced that!
Old 07-02-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Pete,
I know exactly how you are feeling. I was MM away from losing my high paying job. My performance was terrible, constantly late (that is if I even bothered to show up) reeked like booze and spoke gibberish. Basically my boss would send me home every day. Then the day before I went to treatment I told my boss to go F himself and that he was an F'ing idiot.
Yea, it got that bad.
Resentments? Yea I have many. The great thing is, some people are understanding when you have a disease. I didnt have much support from my office on getting sober as you can imagine but they were happy to get the 'old sober me" back.
If you can stop on your own, do it. It will be a weight off your back if you tell your company you are in treatment as well.
If you cant, go see a doctor. They will help.
AA is a great for recovery, I can speak my mind, people relate, and it does ease up some of my anxiety.

Hope you get well soon.

Best Of luck
Old 07-02-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I haven't got as far as telling my boss to go f himself yet! But I was called in for a meeting and I admitted I have a problem. He was understanding but told me if I don't sort it then I won't have a job. I knew I had to do something about it and today confirmed this. I haven't been to see the doctor yet , I was going to see how the first day or 2 went and judge from there. I have stopped before for a month but fell off the wagon and have drunk more since. I've not researched for aa in my area but I am sure there will be one!
Old 07-02-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Pete
Old 07-02-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Recovery is a process that requires tools and support. In my mind, you need compassionate ears who relate (whether that be AA or online recovery sites like SMART, RR or SR), plans for what to do when cravings or overwhelming situations occur, care and patience with yourself, education and knowledge of what you are dealing with....and just well, as I say, dealing with the right now..each moment, each situation one at a time.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm glad I have signed up here. I already feel welcome and calmer about being ill. I am very shakey. Not sure if that's because I drank alot yesterday or that I haven't drunk today!
Old 07-02-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Pete! Welcome! I'm new here too! Glad you've taken this important first step! This seems like a great place to be :-)
Old 07-02-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR Pete. I felt so much better after I joined too. I was feeling all alone until I came here and found so many others exactly like me.

I had convinced myself that I couldn't live without alcohol - yet in the end it was making me miserable. It was hard to admit the fun it once was could never come back. I was putting myself in danger and doing out of character things - I had to get free of it. You can do this Pete.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Guess the first night is the hardest to sleep?! Lol I just keep reading stories on here as I'm not tired in the slightest!
Old 07-02-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Pete

I am in the UK too.
There are quite a few of us here.
However alcohol and addiction is the same the world over.
Its nice you found us.

When I joined SR, if someone had told me that on the 4th of July I would be celebrating 500 days without a drink, I would have laughed or told them to get stuffed!

Yet tomorrow brings me to 500!

Your right its so much nicer waking without a hangover but also not having the trembles, not living in fear that you are about to mess something up and being able to do whatever you want at whatever time of day because your not drunk. I feel sharper mentally, I feel more light hearted and I feel more confident of who I am. Life just seems a lot easier now.

Its up to you if you see your doctor.
Its up to you who you tell, although from your post it sounds like your boss has already noticed.

If you are physically addicted to alcohol then you would be wise to see a doctor for help with withdrawal. Withdrawal can be fatal.

For me, I saw it as my own private battle and I wanted to fight it how I saw fit.
I have never told anyone, its almost like I lead a double life but I am 100% okay with that.
I did a lot of SR, a little bit of AA and I tried SMART. I also like the principles of AVRT.
I have a 3 year old and I work full time so SR is my main line of support and communication.

I totally get the worrying about 'never having a drink again'.
I still get it now.
All I can recommend, which worked for me, is to take a day at a time.

I would wake up every morning and say 'just for today' I will not drink. If anything is so bad that I need to drink, I can drink the next day, but today I am not drinking'

You have to work at it. But now I can honestly say hand on heart I do not miss drinking and it would seem strange or abnormal to sit and drink all evening like I used to.

I have regretted drinking many, many times. I have never regretted not drinking once.

I hope you stick around here Pete

My best to you
xx
Old 07-02-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome Pete, SR helped me in many ways. Feel free to join us in the One Year and Under thread. God Bless.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome Pete, this place has been so important in my recovery.