Notices

Bedwetting.... HELP

Old 07-02-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bedwetting.... HELP

So last night I drank 2 bottles of wine and passed out on my couch. I woke up in the middle of the night soaked.... I had peed myself. The same thing happened a week and a half ago. I drink a lot... too much- about a bottle of wine a day during the week and more during the weekend. I know I have a problem, but im not ready to quit yet. But I'm worried that there is something seriously wrong with my body. The strangest thing is, I have never wet the bed... only the couch. Perhaps when I pass out on the couch that just means im even drunker than usual. I hate being like this. I've gone to AA meetings and still continue to drink. I wish I could stop. I;m worried my kidneys are failing or something. I've been like this for 3 years, and i'm 30 yrs old. female.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It may be time to see a doctor and have some tests done. There is much info and support here if you want to stop drinking. Read as much as you need and ask as many questions as you want.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Ah, loss of bladder control. Well, I'd say it's pretty common among heavy drinkers, and that also, it can be related to a lot of other issues including your own physiology. I've always had a small bladder, and had problems bedwetting as a kid till age 7 or 8, so that drinking has me going every 10 minutes.

And I've had this same thing happen from time to time. You could always wear a diaper, but it would be best to stop for a while, and see how you feel. This time around, I've gone two weeks without drinking, and have been using tools from various programs, the help of a friend, and the people here, and haven't gone to any meetings.

Try to look at ll the positive things about stopping, and see what happens...I'll bet this stops, and your kidneys will thank you as well!

Plus, you'll save a fortune on diapers.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Party123, welcome to SR. This is great place for support and encouragement.

I'm sorry to hear you're going through those issues. If you haven't already done so, I would highly suggest going to a doctor as soon as you can, and tell them your issues with alcohol.

Perhaps this is an ideal time to consider a commitment to sobriety?
Old 07-02-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

trading one addiction for another

I really would like to stop. Its so hard because all of my friends and my husband are DJ's and are involved in the club scene. I feel like I would need an entire lifestyle change... perhaps even a divorce.... to stop drinking. Its getting to the point where I am drinking at work..... NOT GOOD. I hide it from my husband and drink in secret. He thinks ive stopped during the week... NOPE!

I went from eating disorder to alcoholic. i've replaced one with the other.... the thought of giving up all addictions is scary as hell! If you do stop, does it ever get easier?? do the cravings subside?
Old 07-02-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I found it has gotten easier for me over time - and I'm really just a newbie.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Everything gets better if you stop Party123. And yes, you will most likely need to change your lifestyle.

But think for a moment what your lifestyle is like right now - you just admitted in 2 posts that you drink at work, you drink in secret, you pass out and wake up in your own urine, and you lie to your husband about the whole thing. Granted it could ( and probably will ) get worse - but what could possibly be appealing about living your current lifestyle?
Old 07-02-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thats very true. oh the glamour of it all! Lies and urine... lol you have pointed out the obvious cons. But when i'm sitting by myself on the couch on a saturday night, trying not to drink and all my friends... (husband included) are at some warehouse party, I'm thinking... hmm not so much fun. I definitely struggle most on the weekend nights. When monday rolls around its a lot easier to start the quitting process. how long have you been sober?
Old 07-02-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Party123 View Post
I really would like to stop. Its so hard because all of my friends and my husband are DJ's and are involved in the club scene. I feel like I would need an entire lifestyle change... perhaps even a divorce.... to stop drinking. Its getting to the point where I am drinking at work..... NOT GOOD. I hide it from my husband and drink in secret. He thinks ive stopped during the week... NOPE!

I went from eating disorder to alcoholic. i've replaced one with the other.... the thought of giving up all addictions is scary as hell! If you do stop, does it ever get easier?? do the cravings subside?
For me, yes, it keeps getting easier. I'm just at 5 months of sobriety, and I was also afraid that I wouldn't be able to quit, ...but I did, and it's the best decision I've ever made. The first month was the hardest, but it does get easier as your body and mind eliminate the toxins. You can do it. As I mentioned before, maybe visiting your doctor about the bladder issues along with an open discussion about your alcohol intake would be a good start.

I would also consider the alternative to quitting, do you really want to continue to deal with the impulsive bladder issues? And that's just one of the health problems that arise from alcohol abuse, and the health issues just continue to pile up.

You have tons of support here. You've made a great start by just talking about it.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the support. I really appreciate it. I'll be working all week when my friends are celebrating the 4th... so I won't be going out. maybe instead of downing a magnum of wine I'll check out a meeting. Its time to get back on track... im really getting tired of all the chaos.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

So last night I drank 2 bottles of wine and passed out on my couch. I woke up in the middle of the night soaked.... I had peed myself. The same thing happened a week and a half ago.
Yupp i've done that and also the dirtier thing as well (cider , bitter and red wine ) , due to drinking .

does it ever get easier?? do the cravings subside?
Yes and yes in my experience .

It's a big relief when you do stop and crazy out of control things don't happen, i've found .

Bestwishes, m
Old 07-02-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The greatest motivator for me is a desire for a "sober" life. I believe it makes things a whole lot easier now that I've arrived at that. But it took a lot of losses and embarrassing episodes to get there. I ran from ..life..and myself..with alcohol (and other addictive behaviors).

I imagine you were horrified when you discovered that you had wet yourself. Our bodies and minds are amazing things...perhaps your "true" self wanted to horrify you sober..give you a big ole flaming red STOP sign.

Children wet the bed as they have not yet mastered control of themselves and bladders. Nor have active alcoholics.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Thats very true. oh the glamour of it all! Lies and urine... lol you have pointed out the obvious cons. But when i'm sitting by myself on the couch on a saturday night, trying not to drink and all my friends... (husband included) are at some warehouse party, I'm thinking... hmm not so much fun. I definitely struggle most on the weekend nights. When monday rolls around its a lot easier to start the quitting process. how long have you been sober?
Oddly enough, I live in this artists warehouse that's divided into various sized places, in which just such parties take place! It's a long story as to how I came to live here, but even living right in the midst of such goings on, I've found it possible to avoid drinking. It's not always easy, and it is a bit boring at first, though I'm getting used to it, and it's been two weeks now, and the cravings are going away.

Do you have anything to distract you? Some kind of hobby? Maybe writing, painting, something to keep you busy?

When you said warehouse party, I did feel a pang of loneliness, though! I may miss such things, but for now, it's best I keep a low profile. Eventually, I'll be able to go, and not drink.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This is due to drinking. 100% guaranteed. It has nothing to do with a small bladder or anything being wrong other than you drinking too much.

Have a read through some other threads:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...c-partner.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-you-peed.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ght-again.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...k-me-down.html
Old 07-02-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Party123- it is very hard to stay sober when your environment isn't conducive to it! It was hard, but when I first got sober 6 years ago, I had to completely change my lifestyle. And my social circles. I was 29, in the military where alcohol is a huge part of the lifestyle. I was an instructor and all of my students thought I was the "coolest" because, well, I was drunk 24/7 and really laid back. It was a total blur.

It's so hard man, but it gets easier. I'm not a perfect success story though, I've been drunk for about a year now. Threw away 5 sober because I sort of forgot how much of a problem I have with alcohol. I also live in the heart of the California wine scene, I have vineyards and wineries surrounding my property. I can't go grocery shopping without a wine tasting guy shoving it in my face. It's hard.

I also worry about my body as well. I'm almost obsessed with my dang urine, that's why I had to laugh at your post. Like, I'm trying to evaluate the smell, color, etc...just trying to see if I've gone "too" far and destroyed my kidneys. That's what sort of woke me up this time- if I'm that obsessed about what this poison has done to my body, it's time to take control. I was lucky enough the first time to escape with no damage, I felt really dumb for tempting fate.

Stay strong and it may be a good idea to see a doctor. Surprisingly, many of them respect the alcoholic who tries to get help.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, it will definitely involve some major lifestyle changes. I know it did for me. I knew I had a problem and tried to moderate ( no luck there ) and quit many times over the past couple years. There are some places I no longer go, and some people I no longer see - but i'm OK with that now, and looking back the ONLY reason I went those places and saw those people was to drink.

You asked how long I have been sober - about 6 months. I still feel like I'm pretty new to sobriety though, and there are many who have been sober here for years - some for decades. And many of them were in much worse predicaments than you are when they finallly quit.

So the bottom line is, yes you can quit. It won't be easy, but it will be worth it - that's guaranteed. Stick around here an do lots of reading, and ask questions if you don't find the answers you are looking for.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You said you only drink a bottle of wine a night on the week days..but then you said you drank 2 bottles last night and you also drink at work.

How big is the bottle of wine?

I would be mortified to wake up regularly soaked in my own urine (and I only sleep with my dog and cat). You are ruining your health and your looks at age 30. What does your husband think about you're actions and the scent on the couch?

If you are not committed to stopping, you won't....using your husband's work, your friends and saying you "drink while attending AA, might need to get a divorce are just excuses to justify your actions.

When you want to stop..you will and you can. I do hope you decide sooner rather than later.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I go to an AA meeting on a Saturday night ... and other nights too.

Worked for me for almost 24 yrs.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-02-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I really would like to stop. Its so hard because all of my friends and my husband are DJ's and are involved in the club scene.
Are your husband or your friends incontinent too?
You have to make it about yourself and do it for yourself.

Here are the symptoms associated with Blood Alcohol Level. A BAL of 20 (which is when one may become incontinent) means that 20% of their bloodstream is alcohol.

0.02% - relaxation, the ability to divide attention between two or more sources of visual information can be impaired, capacity of correctly judge the speed and distance is affected;
0.05% - mild intoxication, inhibitions go away, visual perception is affected, reaction time grows, problems with responding quickly to traffic stimuli;
0.10% - obvious intoxication on most people, attention and control are getting more impaired, slowing of reflexes, slowed thinking and coordination; driving skills are significantly impaired;
0.20% - double vision, memory loss, not able to walk, vomiting, incontinence, high risk of accidents;
0.30% - extreme intoxication, cool body temperature, tremors, not able to drive;
0.40% - coma, unconsciousness, little response to stimuli, poor respiration, clammy skin;
0.50% - possible death.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Party123 what you said about ur friends being djs and the club scene that is my problem. Im a musician. Life without booze seems impossible but apparently it is possible. look at all these people on this site. Personally I have never been able to grasp sober living but so many people seem to have it going on. I guess we just need to keep trying. I hope you find your way