Notices

Day 1 again

Old 07-02-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 again

Hello again everybody. My name is Brian and I'm an alcoholic, problem drinker and chronic relapser. Most recently after 15 days of sobriety I chose to drink again and I am still not sure why. In the past I've been able to identify my triggers and use my spirituality and other tools to work through them. But this time was different. It's like I just gave up and thought it would be ok without even thinking about it. After this last merry go round, I have decided to get back on the wagon. Hopefully to stay on this time. I will make it a point to post here more often as I feel I need daily AA meetings but cannot get to them daily (I live in the countryside with no car right now). I am going to go ahead and put my name in the class of July. Drinking has taken so much from me and it just gets worse. I need to constantly remember what all I give up for a few hour buzz. That I would even consider that exchange is insanity, but as most of us know insanity is a very prevalent symptom of our alcoholism. I know there is a better way, I need help staying with it. Thank you for reading.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I tried and failed many times at sobriety. Just pick yourself up and keep trying. AA sounds great.
Think of that first drink and where it will lead you.

Best to you.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad you are back Brian. If you can't get to AA meetings daily and want some more support try logging on here and posting or heading into the chat room when you get urges or just feel you need it. There is always someone here to help.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Brian, well done on Day one, 15 days was great don't beat yourself up you just forgot and had a drink or two,. Start again. I find writing down why Im giving up, how I felt the morning after and what I want to do going forward. Alcohol is a very strong drug which we all have been brain washed into thinking its a nice thing to do, but in reality its an evil drug that tricks us and should not be under estimated.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you're back on the right track again.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I really hope it sticks this time. The sober me is someone I look in the mirror and like much better than the drunken me. Yet, as we are the same person I am reminded that this is going to be a lifelong project.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Brian

sometimes I just gave up too - I lacked the strength or the will to pull myself out of the dive.

I really had to work on reaching out in those situations

Have you thought of online AA meetings?

D
Old 07-02-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very happy you're back Brian. I had many false starts, but I made it. You will too.