She Wanted an Answer, I Gave Her One

Old 07-02-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

She Wanted an Answer, I Gave Her One

And now she doesn't like it.

It all started with her being all pissy Sunday night about a range of things. Then she said (right when I got up to go to bed, of course), that she doesn't know where our marriage is going, she feels more like brother/sister (we don't have 'relations'), she doesn't feel wanted, needed, cared for. I know better than to engage in those types of conversations when she's on her second drink, and also when I'm ready to go to bed. So I say little, and go to bed.

She sends me a text later pretty much rehashing what she already said, and says that maybe splitting up is the way to go; since obviously I don't want to care of listen to her feelings.

So yesterday I type up a LONG response, 3 pages long, and email it to her. In it I state that I too want a partner in my life who is there and present 24/7, but with her drinking, she not there for me or our 3 yr-old son. And then I went on to give specific examples of dates and situations of blackouts and events when DS awoke in the middle of the night and she was passed out and never heard a thing. She always wants details when I say something, so I gave her very specific facts. Not feelings so much, just facts.

She's barely speaking to me, and she left an attorney's number on the counter, probably for me to find. I told her we didn't need to get divorced, but if she wasn't willing to work at things, then maybe it's best. I guess she doesn't want to work at things.

I'm kind of sad, and kind of relieved. Sad for my son who will now be brought into this mess; and relieved that I finally got to say what I wanted to say -and it's all in writing.

You may remember that I posted about an attorney telling me I needed to inform her that she needed to get help and enter a program or I would leave. Well, we kinda got there in a round-about way, though I did not give dates or say that treatment was needed. But, based on what I wrote, with dates, it's clear she has an addiction problem.

Now we'll wait and see what happens. Maybe the attorney's number is there to scare me - I'm not scared, because I've already talked to attorneys on my own.

Thanks to you fine folks and the forum - I am stronger, more confident, and better-prepared than if I had never come here.

"More will be revealed."

C-OH Dad
Old 07-02-2013, 04:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

She wanted drama . . . and you -- you gave her reality.

You B@STARD!

Great Job.

As far as the kids. Here is what I have figured out . . . .

They ALREADY are in the mess. Might as well get them on the good side of it. About the best we can do.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

She wanted drama . . . and you -- you gave her reality.
Truth.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

((COD))

What great recovery to not "pick up the rope" Sunday nite when she wanted to "discuss" things ~ it's great when we recognize trying to talk to someone under the influence is not a wise choice.
You showed yourself and her great respect when you did this.

Will continue to keep you, your son and your wife in my thoughts and prayers for your HP's very best - for everyone !!

I pray that you are given the guidance and peace to do what is healthy for you & your son ~ even when it feels a scary

Pink hugs
Old 07-02-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What is it with getting close to July 4th???????

Sounds like Independence Day for you is closer!

Now that she has started down this path, keep going yourself - it's what you've wanted and needed for your son for a long time.

ShootingStar1
Old 07-02-2013, 06:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Too bad her alternative to getting sober is getting a lawyer. BTDT.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Way to go COD, it has to be a relief just to have taken this next step no matter where it leads. Great job sticking to the facts & not getting wrapped up in the emotions - I agree with Hammer completely, she was after drama because it feeds the Crazy.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Newsflash: I am the cause of her drinking

She told me this morning that I am to blame for her drinking - that if I was a better person and better husband, she would not need to drink.

She said she will be looking to move out soon. Now I do feel sad, for our son. She said nothing about custody, co-parenting, nothing.

Thanks for all the support, thoughts, and prayers.

C-OH Dad
Old 07-02-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I, too, am sad for your son, COD, but as a child of an alcoholic mother myself, I am more so relieved and grateful that he has one parent who is willing to deal with life on life's terms. Thinking of you both through, sending strength and courage.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CentralOhioDad View Post
She told me this morning that I am to blame for her drinking - that if I was a better person and better husband, she would not need to drink.
Blah, blah to the blahdity blah......

She said she will be looking to move out soon. Now I do feel sad, for our son. She said nothing about custody, co-parenting, nothing.
That does make me sad, but in reality it isn't any different than how she acts now, right? If she was concerned about being a parent first & foremost she'd be sober & hear her child crying for her in the night & you wouldn't be having these conversations.

I'm HAPPY for your son too ~ he has this Hero Dad that acts a great provider, role model & friend; putting his needs above everything else in the World, including his own personal time to fart.

((((((BIG FAT HUGS))))))
Old 07-02-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You never know... she might be fine with your having primary custody. When I left my first husband, I felt the boys should stay with him. Like you, he did most of the "parenting" stuff because of our schedules. I honestly thought they would be better off with him than with me. I love my kids, but I think he is definitely the better parent--at least when they were young.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
You never know... she might be fine with your having primary custody. When I left my first husband, I felt the boys should stay with him. Like you, he did most of the "parenting" stuff because of our schedules. I honestly thought they would be better off with him than with me. I love my kids, but I think he is definitely the better parent--at least when they were young.
I know for sure that won't be the case with her. She said that the only thing keeping her sane for so long (if you call being an A, sane) is our son. She thinks I'm a horrible person, why would she want me around our son? Nope, it will be a battle royale.

I hate confrontation - I'm a lover, not a fighter
Old 07-02-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Some people aren't meant to live together. You've got to really think about it.
Write down a list of the positives and negatives of being married and place a numerical importance value on each of them, do the same for single life, do some calculations, and that might give you an idea of how to proceed. When marriage becomes miserable, it ain't worth it anymore. Kids adapt. Stay civil with your Exie though, if she indeed becomes your Exie!

I miss life as a family unit but I'm not entirely sure I miss my Exie. She wants me to be sober because I'm a good little boy and I do everything she says when I'm not drinking, but when I drank I got feisty and rebellious. She thinks I'm going to be a pushover now. WRONG! :P
Old 07-02-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Something to consider, if you say nothing she might expect that she will leave with your son and you won't fight it.

When I was in your shoes I made it quite clear that I would never be the every-other-weekend "Disney Dad" and I would bankrupt the both of us in legal fees rather than give up my rights as their father.

It helped to level set realistic expectations right from the start. Always a much better negotiating position.

Might get her thinking that rehab and a shot at sobriety might look like a better option at this point?
Old 07-02-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Even though it's quacking, it's so painful to be blamed for someone else's drinking. It used to hit me in the most vulnerable spot. Thank God you have your recovery and know that it's just a bunch of quacking BS.

I agree that your son is really lucky to have you. Had my mom been an alcoholic, I would have been seriously f*cked. There is no way my dad could have risen to the occasion for us.

I am also happy you have some evidence of AW's addicition to use to get full custody of your son. I am like you, I would have stayed in the marriage to protect the child.

Maybe her threats to leave are just more quacking? How will you move forward if that's the case?

Anyway, be grateful for yourself today. Be grateful you had the sense and strength to work on recovery, and that you are whole enough to be a wonderful dad to your boy.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm with Hammer. Word for word.

And it might be time to revisit that lawyer and make sure you have your ducks in a row if she DOES try to leave with your son.

You got this. Sad, hurt, whatever. You gave her what she asked for and you know you we're clear. She can make her choices. You take care of you and that precious little boy.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

I believe we have heard that line before . . .

yes it was from Quackerly McQuackerson

Hope you realize her drinking has nothing to do with you - if you have any doubts - I think there is an old thread about the excuses we have been given by our A's about why they are drinking/using. . .

As an adult child of an alcoholic and an untreated al-anon ~ the damage that happens growing up in that environment takes lots of recovery and years to mend ~ my parents were really good people that loved me ~ but just didn't know how to control their disease and I was greatly affected by that dysfunction.

You are doing your son a great honor by not allowing dysfunction to control YOU or his home life.

PINK HUGS
Old 07-02-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

COD, she's is currently all fogged up right? Manipulate the situation to you and your son's advantage. Convince her to stay if you need to for the short time, or whatever gets you to gather more evidence, more police reports, etc.

I know for sure that won't be the case with her. She said that the only thing keeping her sane for so long (if you call being an A, sane) is our son.
That's such BS, she's still drinking. Take her son away from her, maybe she will hit rock bottom then, he doesn't deserve to be living with an alcoholic. We all know you didn't cause her drinking. A friend of mine raised his 2 girls by himself because his exaw gave up, big respect and huge props to you man.

Be stealthy, spin it to your advantage, tell her whatever as long as it gets you in better place. Best of luck and do what you have to.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

HI COD,

My thoughts are with you during this difficult time. I know you are frightened for your DS as your fear custody concerns. Be strong and put it in your HP's hands. More and more courts are favoring father's rights too. Your ADW sounds like she is not happy with herself in general and this will continue after she leaves. You did not "cause" her drinking as she states and her happiness wont magically reappear after she leaves. She will now also have to do everything around the house that you are doing for her. Keep your boundaries. You are doing all the right things. Continue with Alanon if you can. I go to the Alanon website at night, they have nightly meetings there online via the chat room everyday at 9pm. They are helpful if you cant get to a FTF meeting due to childc are concerns.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
My emotional baggage

COD,

Good for you! You know as the spouse of an A, in order to keep the peace, we have to keep our thoughts and truths to ourselves so much that regardless of what happens in your situation, at least you got to speak (write) your mind and how you really feel about your relationship.

Fathers rights are such a big deal nowadays. I was told that it would take something catastrophic to make it that I got sole custody. And I am in a situation with a restraining order and he only has supervised visits two hours a week for the next 4 months. So don't let her bully you and scare you into giving in on anything you deserve because she threatens to get sole custody of you son. Its not going to happen. I know the fear of that, is your weak spot. Mine too.......

Your post just reminds me of Jack Nickelson saying, " You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!!!!!"

4MyBoys