Notices

how do you work through your stuff without rehab

Old 07-02-2013, 03:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how do you work through your stuff without rehab

Do you really need rehab and spend lots of money to work though your stuff without rehab.

What options are there that are low cost or free that you have found effective.

I'm weighing up going back to impatient Rehab that I really cannot afford.

I have been going to aa really finding that effective though.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-02-2013, 03:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA member

I never went to rehab,I did think of going many times,but I worried what would happen after I came out.

I tried counselling,lied to the counsellor and carried on drinking,it got worse.

Eventually in total despair I phoned the AA helpline,went to a meeting,got a sponsor,worked through the steps and have remained sober ever since.

Wishing you well.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

the program of AA cleared showed me how to clear away the wreckage of my past, show me what makes me tick, and how to change me.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Newpower,

I think rehab is mainly good for two things: to assist with physical withdrawal from substances that can be dangerous to w/d from without medical aid and for those who really need/want the support of a controlled setting to focus solely on getting some initial sobriety.

If you don't need or want that, there are definitely options. The most common options utilized here seem to be AVRT, SMART and AA/NA.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Today

I go to AA. It's free.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree, rehab is good if you need closer monitoring due to medical issues or if you simply can not stop drinking between meetings and therapy or out patient treatment. Usually they send you to AA from rehab anyhow though. So maybe if AA is helping you, stick with that! It's saved a lot of people! I use a combination of AA, NA, one on one therapy, volunteering and meditation / exercise to combat my "issues" which include alcoholism, addiction, anxiety and depression. So far so good! If you are willing to do whatever it takes, AA will guide you to a much better life - At least it did for me.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we all have to work through our stuff whether we got to rehab or not.

Rehabs a good circuit breaker - it gives us a time out in a secure safe enviropnment but it's not a cure - you still have to deal with the real world eventually.

If Rehabs not affordable for you, why not consider some of the recovery methods, whether it be 12 step like AA - or not, like SMART or LifeRing or many others...or meeting based, or something like Rational Recovery, with no meetings?

there's a lot to choose from.

D
Old 07-02-2013, 05:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi. I and millions have been saved with the experience's and contact with AA members. It's a program operated on contributions of usually $1 a meeting if one can afford it. Most Rehabs I've spoken at are AA based with the workers sober in AA. It's very important that we be honest with ourselves and get involved with sobriety. BE WELL
Old 07-02-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dismember

Alcoholics Anonymous was very helpful for me. If you can make yourself willing to find someone you connect with who'll offer to sponsor you then you really get the most out of that.

SMART & AVRT are programs I haven't tried myself but sound effective and a lot of people, especially SR members, got a great deal out of it.

Depending on the size of the area you live in there are possibly some free options available. When I lived near Detroit a few years back my county's health department had some free services. Here in Portland there are non-profit, semi-public and church-based services that are either free or sliding scale.

You might even contact your local health services department if just to see if they can give you a referral. Or even a local hospital. Many of these have persons whose entire job it is is making referrals.

Best of luck!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
now's the time

You can also find an addictions counselor... not free, but most cities have low cost counseling available. A quick google usually turns up some options... usually either at free clinics or affiliated with universities.

Just to cover all the bases.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Newpower,
I am 5 days sober today and have put off sobriety because I couldn't afford rehab either but after 27 years of being a practicing alcoholic and letting my life just fall away the last couple years, I decided that I have no choice but to quit or I will not live long. Too many close calls and watched my dad and best friend (only 38) die this year from their drinking, leaving kids behind. I decided to be open with my doctor and I was given a vitamen B shot (as our bodies I guess lack that when we are heavy drinkers) and a prescription for Clonazapam (in the same class like Valium which lasts longer and deals with the same receptors your brain deals with alcohol, so it kind of "tricks" your brain to thinking it's still getting alcohol so you don't go through withdrawels so badly). This combo is what they use if you are going to detox from home. I think we all need counseling as part of this too as we all drink to cover up from something. If you need rehab though and don't feel you can do this from home, there are some low cost or no cost programs but some have a waiting list. Not sure where you are living but there are some available. Praying for you and hope you find what you need!!!
Old 07-02-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you can do it without rehab and with AA alone, by all means do it. There is no rule of thumb or whatever that says that rehab is the only way to go.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

All of the above covers it. Rehab is not going to help the " issues" per say. The real work comes in after detox, rehab when you start living sober. If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. There are many recovery options to choose from. You'll know what is best. Good luck and keep posting.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I read phillosophy , self-help & SR .

I thought my way into depression , with learning a hindu / buddist view of a healthy mind and Dorothy Rowes' book depression i thought my way out of it . I did the same with binging alcoholism .
Perception/perspective , attitude and ego were the things i had to change and i still work on .

Bestwishes, m
Old 07-02-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newpower View Post
Do you really need rehab and spend lots of money to work though your stuff without rehab.

Thanks
hi Newpower. I'm just a few months in. The meetings (LR and AA) yep are effective. But deep down I know they are not enough, for ME! So I understand what you are asking. Sure we all need to deal with our stuff and deal with real world. However, some of us need further individual help!

I dont know where you live. but it took me months to find free addict counselling/treatment here in Ireland. Honestly its like a big secret!!

Are you feeling - meetings are effective but not enough for YOU, ?
Old 07-02-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I turned to books at the outset of my recovery and they have led me along my recovery path. SR is very important to me, too, because I am always inspired when I come here.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I went and spoke to the rehab place they said I Should go but I don't e Walt know if it's really needed right now as I've stopped drinking for about a week so far really feel aa gives me the fix that drinking used to give me a much better feeling because it's positive.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by newpower View Post

Thanks
I never did rehab or AA, and here I am at 2 years sobriety and going strong. What I did was I changed everything, starting with my core. I changed my outlooks and how I lived my entire life. Its a process, but you have to start somewhere. I had Horrible anxiety, so I started by doing things I was scared of. Small things lead to bigger and bigger.........now I think I am capable of just about anything. I dont mean like skydiving or base jumping. I mean like waking up in a few days and maybe going shopping on your own, going somewhere new, signing up for school, getting a job or if you have one, maybe a new one. Things like that. Just posting on here is stepping out of your comfort zone, right? So that is already a positive step. I didnt have anxiety before, like growing up, and I was determined to break free of the chains addiction puts on you and the anxiety, depression, and desperation my alcoholism caused. I knew there was a great big world out there and it was up to me, and GOD (whatever you believe in), to go out and make the most of this one life I was given. I couldnt stand living how I was at the time and I was determined to get out of it, no matter what it took. I think you have to get to that point to make it happen, and when and how you get to that point depends on you. I was sick of watching everyone else move on and up, while I was in my own personal hell created by a simple liquid. Why did I give it so much power over me?

The trick is to get as much out of sobriety as possible! You have to grow and challenge yourself in every way, but you will amaze yourself with the changes you are able to make, but it takes an inner strength you probably are unaware that you even possess, but you do have it in you.......we all do. Start small and simple. First, set the bottle down. Then withdrawal comes, which is unpleasant, but the price you pay to get to the good side. Then, you have to change your daily routine and social circles. This can be tough and is often a deal breaker for some. They get lonely while in transition, but do nothing to remedy it out of fear of the unknown. This is a costly mistake, but one many addicts make. I suggest researching everything under the sun about alcoholism, withdrawal, addiction, anxiety, and PAWS (which is crucial or you will think you are going insane).

Then, after a while things just start changing, and its pretty amazing. That is where you may start to get comfortable, which is another mistake. Never let your guard down. Your addiction never dies, and you will never be the type to casually drink or moderate yourself. Its easy for people to forget how bad it was at the start, and think "Ive got this thing licked, I can moderate myself now" or "Im cured, thank heavens.....I can drink again" or the worst one...."Im lonely and things are progressing the way I hoped, id rather be drunk, so bring out the booze". They aren't progressing because they aren't doing anything or have stopped being proactive with their personal growth or challenging themselves. Always be growing, always push yourself, and always remind yourself where you are now, and do whatever it takes to not end up back at square 1. That is my best advice to you. It is possible without rehab or spending any money, but you will have to work twice as hard. You can do it, and I promise you, its more than worth it.