Notices

running into people outside of AA

Old 07-01-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

running into people outside of AA

Hey guys! I just had a couple of good experiences i thought i'd share. Today, i started my new job. While touring the facility with my new hire group, i spied a familiar face. One of my AA friends works here! He had a big smile for me and me for him. It was great to see someone i knew and it made me feel less uncomfortable in the new environment. After work, i stopped by Whole Foods and lo and behold, another AA friend! He tried to give me a high five but my hands were quite full. Again, it's just so great to see familiar faces around town. For people who are afraid of AA because you might be noticed outside of meeting, don't fear! It's not like we greet each other with "how's AA workin' out for ya?!" We just smile and wave and for me, i remember that i'm not alone in the big, wide world. I have friends who know just what it's like and together, we are STRONG!
Old 07-01-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can go to any city/town in any State/Province and feel right at home in minutes at a meeting. It's amazing.

Cool beans, Grits.

Bob R
Old 07-01-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's wonderful
Old 07-01-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's great!
Old 07-01-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Love it! Thanks for posting that DG. Very refreshing to hear.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well said, well put. I don't see many AA folks because I never really go - but I did have a couple friends from old meetings and we have each other's numbers.

Every once in a while I get a text from a guy who says "Hi bigsombrero - not checking up on you, just checking in". It's nice. Your situation and view on the whole thing sounds very healthy and cool.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's awesome! I'm so glad to know that. People might suppose it would be awkward to see an AA friend in public, especially in the workplace. Thank you for sharing that.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love when I see AA peeps in the community. And sometimes I think "wow if I never got sober I wouldn't know they were too" Like I respect them more for turning their lives around, not just another average Joe around town lol Great stuff
Old 07-01-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes! Although it's possible to get into recovery all by oneself, it's wonderful if you can have friends. I'll never forget the fellow who said, "We're going to do this together". And we did. Alcoholism starts out as a social thing but it often ends up as a lonely illness. Drinking all by yourself, perhaps at some bar where you think you won't be noticed, often just at home. Maybe after the family has gone to bed. It's a lonely world and, as time goes on, that world seems to close in, becomes smaller and smaller. Joining a recovery group, whether AA or something else, is like a bird being let out of its cage. It's good to have folks say, "We're going to do this together!"

W.