Notices

Why did I do this? :(

Old 07-01-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why did I do this? :(

I was doing so well. Just thinking to myself that I had no cravings any
More. Next thing I know I'm standing there taking 4 shots in a row. Why or why? It came so out of left field that I'm in shock.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There is a thought process involved in relapse. It is a progressive spiral toward the moment you take the drink. I recommend reading Gorski's Staying Sober, he has the best explanation of the relapse warning signs and progression that I've ever read.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
There is a thought process involved in relapse. It is a progressive spiral toward the moment you take the drink. I recommend reading Gorski's Staying Sober, he has the best explanation of the relapse warning signs and progression that I've ever read.
Thanks. Will definitely look at that.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dude! wow that's scary! But hey you recognized it for what it is. Forgive yourself, dust yourself off, get back on that wagon! You doing okay now?
Old 07-01-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlexaDaly View Post
Dude! wow that's scary! But hey you recognized it for what it is. Forgive yourself, dust yourself off, get back on that wagon! You doing okay now?
I think I'm ok. I just ordered the book recommended by Jennie.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

When i think about my relapses, i often try to figure out my thought process that led to the relapse. Right before i take the first drink, there is no thought. There's just "i'm going to drink." There is a lot of stuff that's usually going on in the background but right before that first drink, there's hardly any thought at all. When i turn down or avoid that drink during a craving, there's a lot of thought. Should i? Shouldn't i? Why do i want this? Why do i want to stay sober? Is it really worth going down this path again? So many questions and i always come to the answer that i won't drink. If i'm conscious of my thoughts and willing to do the thinking, i am unlikely to drink. If my practices and actions leading up to that moment are bad, i am at risk of a drink. I always have to be practicing sobriety and sober thinking, even when i don't feel like i'm at risk of drinking.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with DG. I remember, just before relapsing, there was no thought, none. Once I realized that, then I learned to catch myself before I reached the 'no thought' stage. The disease of alcoholism is relentless and devious.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Iwanttobebetter View Post
I was doing so well. Just thinking to myself that I had no cravings any
More. Next thing I know I'm standing there taking 4 shots in a row. Why or why? It came so out of left field that I'm in shock.
Hi there, same thing just recently happened to me. I had 48 days and blew it. In know why you mean about it coming out of nowhere. Got back on the wagon the next day, but still trying to figure out what happened Glad you came back too
Old 07-01-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad I read this, because I feel so vulnerable to relapse now too. I haven't yet, but feel it could happen so easily if I am not careful.

I am going to order that book as well...thanks SoberJennie for the suggestion, and Iwanttobebetter....hang in there, you will do this!
Old 07-01-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you're back on the right path now.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I went to bed relatively early and woke up feeling good. I will pick myself back up and move forward.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Another day is another chance at a new life! We got your back
Old 07-02-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

HI. "The disease of alcoholism is relentless and devious." It's on a 24 hour work schedule as well. In AA it's called insidious, cunning and baffling with good reason. BE WELL