Notices

How many have family history?

Old 07-01-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How many have family history?

How many of you have a family history of alcoholism or substance abuse? My dad was a Baptist minister. He never touched alcohol ever, had no desire to. He was a prisoner of war in WWII, accepted Christ while in prison camp, came home and went to seminary and became a preacher. My mother was a preacher's daughter also. She would have a very occasional glass of wine. Neither smoked cigarettes. As far as I know I have no family history of alcohol abuse. My three siblings drink occasionally (all older than me). So I had to be the rebel of course, LOL Just wondering and would love to hear about other people's families.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have the dubious distinction of being the first and only alcoholic on both sides of my family.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mom, her dad, his dad, mom's brother.

Dad's dad, dad's brothers.

Mom's mom's mom & dad.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

My parents don't have any problems, but my greater family has a ton of them. My grandmother was a very heavy drinker, as were her brothers. My aunts both drink heavily, and most of my cousins on both sides have been in and out of rehab for pretty much everything. So there's quite a bit of addiction in my family, even though I grew up in a setting free from it.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA member

My Mother was an Alcoholic,developed a wet brain and died.

Alcoholism is rife that side of the family.I only have one brother,he drinks a pint of beer about twice a year!
Old 07-01-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heath480 View Post
My Mother was an Alcoholic,developed a wet brain and died.

Alcoholism is rife that side of the family.I only have one brother,he drinks a pint of beer about twice a year!
So sorry to hear about your mother. What's a "wet brain"!? Something to avoid!
Old 07-01-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Both parents, all 4 grandparents and several aunts and uncles. Out of 4 children, I am the youngest and only one that is an alcoholic...although 1 brother I have suspicions about.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am the only alcoholic in the family. My mom maybe has a drink or two a year. My dad maybe has 6 drinks a month. One sister is a health nut and she never drinks, and my other sister rarely drinks. But, I would put 12 drinks away on average per day. 98 days sober, thank God.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How about the other side of family history? Anyone with grown children, and how's their relationship with alcohol? My daugther is 19, lives at college, goes to a few parties, but not much interested in partying; not like me at that age! My twin boys are 15 and one of them already expresses high interest in alcohol, especially if my husband (or me formerly) was drinking, he would ask to have a drink at home with us, even though he's only 15. He's my difficult one with the Attitude and I worry about him the most of all 3.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My dad was an active alcoholic, my mom a dry one. My brother basically died of alcoholism at 44 (ulcer burst), my other brother is an active alcoholic. My only child, a son, says he will never drink because he does not want to end up like his dad (an alcoholic). I pray he stays away from it. He is another reason i quit, i didn't want him to have to be around alcohol when he is at my house because he sees enough of it at his dads (we have shared custody 50/50).
Old 07-01-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlexaDaly View Post
So sorry to hear about your mother. What's a "wet brain"!? Something to avoid!
Wernicke

EDIT: Huh, it changed the way the link was displayed. But, still leads to the right page.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Excellent topic to raise Alexa! You might have opened the floodgates for stories on this one!
Old 07-01-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Originally Posted by least View Post
I have the dubious distinction of being the first and only alcoholic on both sides of my family.
Same here, that I am aware of.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My Dad and his Dad. One of my sisters drank too much wine and she also quit drinking. I didn't start drinking till I was 45 years old. My daughters are pretty careful with alcohol.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

On my dad's side no alcoholics.

On my mom's side, about half are alcoholics with a few on illegal drugs and a few on prescription drugs.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My Dad sips his whiskey in the evenings and my mother nags the hell out him for it. I suspect they would divorce if they were younger, but at their age why bother? I'm not sure if she nags him because he drinks or if he drinks because she nags him. lol
Old 07-01-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My father is an alcoholic. My mother is a drug addict. My siblings also have substance abuse issues. I do not know the history of any of my other family members. Its a family affair.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

mother and father died of alcoholism and brother is well on his way. grandmother and grandfather alcoholic and the biggest one of them all me
Old 07-01-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Alcoholism and mental illness on both sides. I'm lucky that I only had to tackle the alcohol problem.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My father and his brothers were a kind of small time Beverly Hillbillies story; they got lucky and had the smarts to invest wisely. But they were country boys and they drank and fought amoungst themselves until it ripped them apart. My father drinks the least of the three. I guess we're just crazy red-faced hillbillies! lol It doesn't help that drinking culture is well ingrained in this part of Canada:
English/Scottish/Irish seafaring blood. We're so doomed!

I would post some samples of local drinking music, but I guess this isn't the place. lol