Notices

Hello from Austin, TX!

Old 07-01-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Hello from Austin, TX!

Hi all,

I am the sister of a drug addict and am interested in learning more and talking to people in similar situations. I have been researching al-anon meetings in my area and was curious if there are any types of meetings in Austin for family members of drug addicts. Her addiction has been on and off for a year now, as she has been to two rehabs and arrested once. I desperately need an outlet and think I found the right place.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Sister! You will find a wealth of info and encouragement here! Best wishes with your sister, a tough situation for sure. She is lucky to have people like you who are concerned and want to help. It's so hard! Good luck!
Old 07-01-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you made it here; I have found a great source of wisdom and comfort here, as well as some real eye-openers at times...hang around and you'll learn a lot!

You could try this section of the forum for more specific feedback on your situation Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information.

I would highly recommend Alanon as a starting point, at the very least. You'll find a lot of support there.

Best wishes as you begin your own recovery!
Old 07-01-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sister12 View Post
I have been researching al-anon meetings in my area and was curious if there are any types of meetings in Austin for family members of drug addicts.
I suggest calling the Al-Anon number in your phone book and asking them your question(s). I'm sure they'll be of help.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-01-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family!
Old 07-01-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Smile Thanks all!

I hear the disease is never really over. that it's a continuous process that you must deal with one day at a time. I'm trying to come to terms with this, as it's easy to get mad and place blame on her for my pain. It's also hard not to think into the future about "what ifs," those will really bring you down. I will take all of your helpful advice into consideration. thank you for the encouraging comments and for being here for me to talk!