Notices

Day 33 and feeling strange

Old 07-01-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 33 and feeling strange

Well I finished my last test for a class and I don't think I did too well on it, I could not even muster the strength to study and focus. So I hope my overall grade didn't suffer too much. But I am trying not to worry too much about it and hoping for the best.

I am still feeling tired, but I am going to do more exercise this afternoon. My appointment with a counselor is in a little while and I hope I get something good out of it. It is only my second meeting. Tonight I am tempted to go out and do something on the town, try to talk to some females all sober, see what happens. But I don't know if I will have a beer when I am out. Don't really know if I should still be isolated. Maybe I will go to an AA meeting, see if I can meet some people there. Hope you guys are having a good Monday.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

don't push youself to go out to bars sober. you've had a tough few days - be kind to yourself, especially after your counselling session. some comfort food, an early night?

be well.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's really tough having tests so early on in sobriety. Take it very easy and front feel pressured into exercising. Your body is using up all it's energy just processing the toxins from your liver and adjusting to less sugar. You need to be kind to yourself and to take it very easy.

I tried to keep up a social life in the early days and, if I had my time again (fingers crossed I don't get to find this out!) I would avoid bars and pubs until I had a few months under my belt.

If you feel you want a beer, this is a red flag and a sign you should stay away.

Good luck with your journey. It does get easier.

S x
Old 07-01-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Acheleus View Post
Maybe I will go to an AA meeting
That sounds like a great idea.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-01-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The trick for me is learning not to worry so much about things, be it all things. Personally I'd definately and will avoid all nightlife where there is alcohol served and people hammered. The lure or pull towards those places should be a warning signal, but everyone is different, and of course you can, if you know you can, go out even at night to a place and talk to people... have fun and be completely alcohol-free. Actually if I felt confident to do it, and knew it would work out, I'd go. Period.

However I've grown to dislike bars and nightclubs maybe because I don't like drunken company anymore. Not one bit, to be honest.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There are more places to go that don't have alcohol than places that do Achaleus.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well got back from the counselor and have made an appointment with a doctor. The counselor told me how serious my drinking is and has been. Talking with her makes me realize how much I really have drank over the years, and it is scary. So I am going to an AA meeting this evening and then taking my counselor's advice and going with a book to a coffee shop. She said just being around people can help loneliness. Thank you SR and everyone on here who supports each other. It feels really good to be proactive about my physical and mental health. Alcohol really did a number on me, but I am going to learn to live a strong life.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Acheleus,

'Thought of you and your test this morning. Man, I hated those extremely condensed classes (though I did like the 3 units on my transcript, obtained in those 3 weeks).

I'm glad you have the support of a counselor; if nothing else, counselors are usually good at helping me see with practicality and some clarity. I'm glad you decided to hit a meeting instead of a bar. I relate to the loneliness - I found it to be true that just being around others is helpful, and being around other like-minded folks at a meeting might be even more helpful.

Glad you're hanging in...
Old 07-01-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 33!

So glad to hear you met with your counselor, and going to an AA meeting. Coffee shops are a really good idea.

Yay Acheleus!
Old 07-01-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just returned from my first AA meeting. They all made a big deal about it being my first meeting. They wanted me to get up and get a chip but I didn't, I was kind of overwhelmed and I was very young compared to everyone there. It was strange and I felt kind of odd. But I have a salad and strawberries for dinner and then I am going walking. I hope everyone is doing well.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So what do you think? Going back again? It was really odd for me too. It's been strange each time actually. I've been ambivalent about going back.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Originally Posted by Acheleus View Post
Just returned from my first AA meeting. They all made a big deal about it being my first meeting. They wanted me to get up and get a chip but I didn't, I was kind of overwhelmed and I was very young compared to everyone there. It was strange and I felt kind of odd. But I have a salad and strawberries for dinner and then I am going walking. I hope everyone is doing well.
That's odd, when I went to a few, I was 44, and also felt very young, compared to most of the people there. I look a good deal younger, though, and act a good deal younger, and even feel a good deal younger, so maybe that was part of it. But the median age seems to be about 60-65 at the meetings here, even the LGBT and agnostic ones. And during those two months, what was odd is how few new people there were...over 4 different meetings, I don't know if there was more than one or two. So it felt at times like I was in a clique that already knew each other, so it was harder to talk to people, 'cause they were so busy talking to those they already knew. The group dynamics were unusual, I found.

Well, it was interesting. I may go to an agnostic meeting in DC, when my car is fixed, as I did glean a few things.

Be easy on yourself; I'd stay in and keep healing.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well I am in the dirty south and I recognized a lot of the neer do well types from my mother's hometown and her family members, so that kind of annoyed me, but I am trying to be less judgmental. A lot of people were laughing and joking, and these were the people court ordered to be there I guess. It was a big meeting, and I did not like being put on the spot that it was my first meeting. There were around 70 people there, and I got a huge list of phone numbers, but I think I am going back tomorrow to pick up a chip just so they don't think I am a total jerk. Also, I dress really nice, and I felt like I stood out too much. Soo, maybe I will try a young person's meeting, but I don't know. My counselor said it is not for everybody, but I do think it might be a good place to meet strong women...further down the line of course. One guy was giving me advice and he had 34 days and I wanted to be like, "I have 33--YEEahhh." They didn't have any problems putting me on the spot, and I was only there to observe, so the curveball didn't help. I will try some other meetings though. One thing that has helped me is listening to AA speaker tapes on youtube. Some of them are entertaining and funny. I've heard my story a few times. I hope everyone is well.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Acheleus,
I went to a lot of meetings the first couple of years. Many different types of meetings, sometimes I shared, but mostly I listened. I loved getting chips! I have a whole jar of them.
I hope you go and try a few more.
It also gets easier, the more you go to.

I don't go much anymore, but it really helped me in the beginning.

Proud of you for 33 days!

Old 07-01-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you. I am going to check out some more. I had no idea some were so big. I never knew so many drunks were walking around me all day. That really makes me feel better, knowing that so many other people have faced the same problem I have.