Notices

Fasting while getting clean

Old 06-30-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fasting while getting clean

I used to fast every season just to detox and cleanse during my 7 year period of being sober. I felt great during it. I've always been a proponent of listening to your body and during those first 3 days the thought of food always disgusts me but I force it down because its conventional.

http://www.soilandhealth.org/02/0201...20127.ch36.htm

This article was very interesting to me. And I'm thinking about taking this route from my opiate addiction(3year long relapse).

I know everyone will say to consult my physician, but I myself am a Chiropractor. That's right, 2 years after graduation; the girl I had planned to marry destroyed my life and it spiraled down back into the pits of hell I brought it out of 7 years earlier.

It makes perfect sense to me to rid the body of the toxins as efficiently as possible. But I think it might help me regain a piece of that person I loved being so much, and focusing and calling it a cleansing fast just sounds less torturous than "detoxing"!

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this and of your thoughts on it.

Btw Dexter is on tonight!!
Old 06-30-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Some people use Biotta Breuss juice while fasting.

Breuss Vegetable Juice

I think I'll do a fast for the first time ever.

Last edited by Dee74; 07-01-2013 at 12:14 AM. Reason: delinked commericial site
Old 06-30-2013, 11:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply i guess this wasn't a good discussion topic. I had a premonition when i remembered it, so i posted!
Thanks for the link-I'm going to check that out. But I've been at it so long, I know what to deliciously mix and buy without spending an arm and a leg. I live in a small town and I just wish I could get ALL organic .
Old 07-01-2013, 12:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Personally I think we put our body and mind through enough in early recovery without adding more.....

I find the notion of fasting counter intuitive myself....you could actually be depleted of nourishment.

I think there's a prevailing tendency these days to want to feel as good as possible as soon as possible - while I understand that I think we should listen to our bodies and not force the issue.

But of course....it's your body

If you go ahead, be aware that you may find you interpret other cravings, like huger, as cravings for your drug of choice, so it's best to be prepared for that.

D
Old 07-01-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Maybe a juice fast or something that gives you a ton of vitamins and liquids. A water fast might really freak out your body with all those new toxins swirling around.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've always been into doing raw food fasts (raw veggies, fruits, juices only). It's a great way to cleanse out toxins while doubling up on nutrition. It was always difficult for me because, technically, wine is raw, so...
I think I will start one today, actually. Sounds like a great idea.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I do a week long sugar/dairy detox a few times a year, PM me if you want more info. Really not for any reason other than to break the sugar/carb cycle and eat a bit cleaner for a while.. I don't think I'd want to do it during early recovery though, the first few days are a little rough!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

worn out and torn up drunks and addicts

Originally Posted by eastboundndown View Post

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this and of your thoughts on it.
hi
good to meet you here
you being a chiropractor you probably know what's best for you
but
I would never recommend fasting for anyone entering recovery
most have torn themselves up to the point
where their bodies and minds have been depleted of many vitamins
and nutrients needed for a healthy normal functioning person
there is as you know much rebuilding that needs to accrue
in most worn out and torn up drunks and addicts
Old 07-01-2013, 11:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I should have been more specific. It is a juice cleanse I'm planning, I wouldn't recommend anyone ever do a water fast for any reason! I will Leave those to the people from biblical times. Mostly vegetable, but some fruit as well. Lots of vitamins, antioxidants and hydration. Just what we need!
Eating isn't a big deal to me, I eat simply to stay alive, I get no pleasure out of it at all so giving it up won't add any unnecessary strain on me. I could live off carrot or watermelon juice-that stuff is amazing.

beware of broken people, for they know how to survive
Old 07-01-2013, 11:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

For myself i've tried to eat a more varied and wide ranging diet in recovery, heavy on fruits and vegitables .
I'm not sure i'd have been comfortable on such a tight riegeme whilst also trying to break my drinking habbits .

Bestwishes, m
Old 07-02-2013, 01:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Green tea here in the morning and sometimes evening seems to help. I don't usually fast since I try to exercise to get in shape so the need for protein becomes obvious.

One thing though, is raw garlic, you can eat it raw or shred it and mix with fruit juice and have it, maybe not everyday but so, often, once per day. For removing toxins, I don't know but it should boost the immune system and kill all kinds of parasites in your body that come from meat products etc. It also promotes brain blood circulation. As a side note: apparently the parasites and the like never build any resistance to garlic for some reason, so it always works with the same power on them. Strange garlic.

If not fasting, maybe changing the diet to something that excludes junkfood and maybe even meat completely. Fish is a healthy alternative.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well I'm 48 hours into a juice fast detox in which I also said f it, I'm quitting smoking too. That's a lot of punishment on a body but oh well.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I did a juice fast for 12 days during my 2nd attempt at sobriety. Oh my... well, it was a roller coaster of emotions. Up and down. Blood sugar and insulin spikes due to the fruit/veggie juice I'm guessing. From total lethargy to boundless energy all throughout the day. I was pale as a ghost. People commented. Asked me if I was ok. I think I was going through some sort of phase with food, probably a milder version of orthorexia. I lost water weight.

Not so sure I'd recommend it. Not sure I accomplished much by it. But at the time, I sure was convinced it was the best thing in the world to do.

Fasting like this might have its place with cancer patients... but I'm just not sure it's a great idea for addicts/alcoholics. I think we need lots of extra nutrition. And whole foods.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm beginning to agree with you Jennie

Old 07-05-2013, 02:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I will beware broken people. But don't break yourself, by fasting too much. It is obvious that in recovery the body is doing A LOT of stuff all the time, and that takes nutrients and energy too. I wouldn't even dream of a fast longer than 3 days myself, but individual factors them.

Besides one thing, if not anything else, good food and eating well is a great replacement for alcohol in my opinion and I also use good food as a reward for sobriety, sort of. My two cents in the pot.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have never been into fasting or other types of what I consider to be out of the ordinary eating ideas. I think a healthy balanced diet is probably best for our bodies, but I have been getting a glimpse into the powerful feelings that anorexics talk about when they talk about their problem. I can understand and even participate a little in the idea that controlling my diet gives me a feeling of control and power over something. The fear and anxiety that comes with being out of control of everything is a big reason to drink for me, so if I have control over my body's desires for food and I can say 'no', I have control over something.

That being said, I am starving and off to have breakfast.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eastboundndown View Post
It makes perfect sense to me to rid the body of the toxins as efficiently as possible.
I found by working AA's 12 Steps that I began to rid my brain of toxins and my body took better care of itself automatically.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-06-2013, 05:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I did a 5 day water fast after about 3 weeks sober. It was intense and I broke the fast. I think it helped with the craving big time. It also made by digestive system work better. I took loads of vitamins of all kinds and ate healthy coming up to the fast. Contrary to popular belief stuffing our faces 3 times a day or more like north Americans tend to do is actually killing you. Read as much as you can about fasting of course first and talk to your doctor about your vitamin levels first.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Almost everyone is addicted to food.
Taking in substances of any kind, besides water, is not a fast.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with fasting, but one must be mentally well-prepared for the undertaking.
It is one of those myths that have conditioned our minds, that we continually need to be putting something into our bodies, to maintain our health. Bull.
There are plenty of resources to study, where you can learn otherwise.
. . . and be healthier and more joyful for it.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

poolsideGal you are a keen lady! Well said.