Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

That great feeling when an AA meeting takes you out of a slump

Notices

Old 06-30-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, hope you are all having a good day so far. Yesterday was one of the worst days I've had sober so far. I was writing in my journal working on some step 4 work. When I looked at what I had written down I got so depressed and the things I had done. Things I SWORE I'd never do. If me at age 16 could see me know at 30, I think the younger me would vomit from disgust. But I will say I was happy to be sober and at least on the right track. With a seemingly mountain of problems I had no idea of how to solve and no friends to talk to, I decided to go for a walk and listen to music and get a coffee. I had $5 bucks in my pocket and get paid again on Wednesday. I started thinking of going to the corner party store and at an intersection, I feel like on autopilot, I turned and started walking to a meeting I knew of 4 miles away. What a blessing it was. I was there for 2 hours and felt such relief and calm when I left. I felt like everything might actually be okay. I'm not sure how it happened or what got me there but I'm so grateful for that.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I agree! I thing it is wonderful to sit in a room full of people who totally get me and understand what I'm going through! It is also good to hear messages of recovery and to see and feel the hope when I'm lacking in it.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

AA meetings are magic. I have given what you are talking about an awful lot of thought and the presence of my Higher Power is in those rooms and speaks to me through others. There just does not seem to be any other rational explanation
Old 06-30-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Someone talked about this at a meeting the other day. They said they never left a meeting feeling worse than when they went in.

Good for you for making it to the meeting!
Old 06-30-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Definitely agree- there is something very special about walking into a room full of people who understand you and vice versa. No matter how much BS starts flowing through my brain meetings pull me right back down to earth- it can almost be a bit of a shock. Sometimes 10 minutes goes by in a meeting and I think back on my thought process an hour ago and can't even believe it.