Question about recovery and AA meetings

Old 06-29-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about recovery and AA meetings

Is it unusual for someone who has a little over a year in recovery to scale back on going to meetings? My son mentioned to me today during a conversation that he doesn't go to as many meetings as he did early in his recovery because of his work schedule. He still goes but not as often. Is this a red flag?
Old 06-29-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Is this a red flag?
Not necessarily. Sometimes early in recovery they are going almost every day! Scaling back to once or twice a week isn't unusual. Many of my friends in recovery go to meetings as much for the fellowship (to see and spend time with friends) as it is to reinforce their own recovery. Some of them go to three or four meetings per week. His recovery belongs to him.

Time always reveals more.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 06-30-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Once I had 365 days of experience living sober, I also cut back on meetings. I'm sober over 5 years now. I don't go everyday, but I go when I need to or want to. He sounds like hes got his priorities straight, trying to not get exhausted. But, it is his recovery, you have to leave him to it. Are you going to Alanon? You might want to try it and work on you and your inability to control him, instead of staring at him, waiting for the other shoe to drop. Just a suggestion.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Meetings are the fellowship of AA, not the program. This fellowship is how I learn to live life on life's terms from other people's experience, strength, and hope. The more I change the more I grow and that is why, after 18yrs of sobriety I go to as many meetings as I can, 4-5 per week, more if life is pushing me around. It is no longer about drinking it is about living.