Broke up with alcoholic BF, tired of thinking about it

Old 06-29-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Broke up with alcoholic BF, tired of thinking about it

First time posting here. Over the last 2-3 weeks I have been devouring the posts in this forum and the Friends and Family of Substance Abusers forum and the posts have given me comfort, strength, and understanding of my situation.

About 2.5 weeks ago I broke up with my alcoholic boyfriend of 7 months. I am 27 and he is 51. When we met I knew he was drinking heavily but because I thought "We'll just keep it casual," the drinking itself didn't bother me much for a long time. When he drank, he would become friendlier and more affectionate and nicer, if anything. I was an excellent enabler. We met at a social club that he works at, and that I am a member of, and I and many other people there would buy him drinks all the time. He would drink while he was working. He also smokes pot. Over the course of his adult life, he has always been addicted to one substance or another (pot, meth, crack). He snorted meth for a period of 10 years in his 30s/40s, until he was arrested and put in jail. After that, he quit meth but replaced it with heavy drinking.

For the past 6 years, he has lived with his ex-girlfriend (they broke up 2.5 years ago). When she learned we were dating, she freaked out and started fighting with him constantly. She is also a member of this club, and works there part-time, and she approached me many times complaining that I shouldn't have been dating him and saying a lot of inappropriate things to me. I was really upset by this and told him about it. He seemed to express sympathy with me but said that he couldn't move out because he was broke. He asked me not to call his home phone, only his cell, because she would see my name on the caller ID and flip out at him. He also said I couldn't come over for the same reason.

During the relationship, I told myself over and over again that the situation with his ex didn't bother me as much as it really did. But it was a constantly source of stress and anxiety for me, and 2 months prior to the breakup I started waking up with chest pain from the anxiety. This had never happened before in my life. Even at that point, I was still in denial. It wasn't until a month ago, when I started a new job, that my anxiety went through the roof. I was only sleeping 3-4 hours a night and had constant chest pain from thinking about the situation. I was forced to acknowledge at that point that the relationship felt like it was literally killing me, and I told him we needed to break up.

He was devastated, of course. I had always been so sweet and accepting (read: ENABLING) of him and all his problems, I was the only thing in his life he had to live for, didn't we have good times together, I would never meet anyone like him...

I was so tired of trying to "help" him with his situation with his ex. I was tired of feeling disrespected all the time. I was tired of the fact that he would black out after having just 1 drink, and wouldn't be able to remember any conversations or nice moments we had together. I was tired of him blaming all his problems on other people. I realized towards the end that the drinking and drugging itself was not the problem; it was only a SYMPTOM of his underlying inability to cope with the basic problems of life that other people can cope with sober.

Since the breakup I have been working really hard on myself. I started seeing a counselor one-on-one, doing yoga, going to Codependents Anonymous meetings, reading SR all the time, and I bought Codependent No More and Women Who Love Too Much. All this new info has opened my eyes to the fact that I am codependent. All my life I've repeated this same pattern of finding myself attracted to men with problems. I think the void in me can be filled by being the "best thing in his life." I'm sick to death of repeating this pattern and I'm finally tired of it. I don't want it anymore.

For the first time ever, I'm looking to myself for the love, validation and acceptance I've tried to find in other people. It's a scary process. I find I have no idea where to begin. I suppose recognizing that fact is the first step.

He still emails me and texts me saying that he loves me and that I shouldn't lose faith in him and he hopes we can be together. The more time that passes, the more I realize I don't ever want to be with him again--not because of the situation with the ex, or even because of his drinking--but because of his inability to deal with "life on life's terms" (as I read so helpfully here). I don't respond to his messages, but I already have and will inevitably continue to run into him at the club we're part of in the future.

At this point I'm just trying to feel all my feelings, like my counselor recommended. It's much better than discounting or diminishing my feelings like I did during the relationship. Recognizing my own feelings is also helping me to set those boundaries I never set before. I'm feeling all the anger I denied myself before. But I'm also feeling sad and heartbroken and lonely. I miss him all the time. I cry most days. I'm impatient with myself to get to the acceptance stage already. I'm tired of sadness and anger. Some days are better than others.

Thanks for reading my long post. Thanks to everyone for posting. Reading about your experiences has helped me beyond measure. I look forward to the day when I can reconcile all the hurts he dealt me with the kindnesses that he showed me and accept it all.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are off to a great start!

But I'm also feeling sad and heartbroken and lonely. I miss him all the time. I cry most days. I'm impatient with myself to get to the acceptance stage already. I'm tired of sadness and anger. Some days are better than others.
You are going through the stages and it's not just a once and done, you go through them a few times. Humans attach and detaching is hard, it's just part of the process and will work itself out. You are dealing with a difficult loss and your pain is understandable. Oddly enough we need to go through it to make it to the other side.

No rush right? This is that golden opportunity to change and not hop on something/someone else as an unhealthy coping strategy. Keep it up and welcome!
Old 06-29-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He still emails me and texts me saying that he loves me and that I shouldn't lose faith in him and he hopes we can be together. The more time that passes, the more I realize I don't ever want to be with him again--not because of the situation with the ex, or even because of his drinking--but because of his inability to deal with "life on life's terms" (as I read so helpfully here). I don't respond to his messages, but I already have and will inevitably continue to run into him at the club we're part of in the future.
Hello BoxofRocks,

I think you are off to a great start, even if it doesn't feel like it right now.

Is it possible to go to the club when he is not there?
Could he view your visits to this club as a way to keep in touch with him?

You have great insight into your codependency so far, I wish I had your
wisdom at your age.
I am still working on it at 54!

Keep up the good work.

Beth
Old 06-29-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZenMe View Post
No rush right? This is that golden opportunity to change and not hop on something/someone else as an unhealthy coping strategy. Keep it up and welcome!
Thanks ZenMe. In the past I would definitely have hopped right on to someone else to cope. But I have made too many realizations this time around to want to ride that train again.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wicked View Post
Is it possible to go to the club when he is not there?
Could he view your visits to this club as a way to keep in touch with him?
The part of the club he works in is accessible to members only and he and his ex are the only people who work there, so it will not be possible in the long run to avoid him. I am keeping my visits and interactions to a minimum right now but am hopeful that normal operations will resume at some point in the future!

As for whether or not he views my visits as a way to keep in touch--I am learning that I have no control over how he feels or what he perceives. However, I am trying to be brutally honest with myself about MY OWN motivations for visiting that area. Do I actually need to go there for something, or am I trying to see if he still pines for me, to get a little "fix" of my own? That is where the hard work lies for me currently.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You sure are NOT a Box of Rocks! That is a lot of self reflection and honesty and I wish I'd been half as thoughtful about these things at your age, you're doing a wonderful job and on the right path to self care and setting good boundaries. Keep posting, it sounds like you're really digging in for yourself and that's wonderful!!