Notices

31 days sober

Old 06-29-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

31 days sober

So today is day 31, and I think I am going to just post weekly instead of daily. I'm not sure yet. I do know that being accountable on SR has been a big part of my sobriety. Today I am feeling alone and sad but I am trying to go out and exercise soon so I can wear myself out and not think so much about how I messed up so many opportunities by getting drunk and trying to die. I hope everyone has a good weekend. Stay strong!
Old 06-29-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Old 06-29-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 31! That is wonderful!

I guess we all have our good and bad days Hang in there!
Old 06-29-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nice, good job on a month! Just keep stackin' em end to end, you're doing great
Old 06-29-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep going, and congratulations on a month!x
Old 06-29-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good job!!
Old 06-29-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on 31 Days Acheleus!! That is awesome.

I completely understand about the feeling alone, and please know that it really is only temporary. The upside is that these times of being alone can also be an amazing time of gaining new understandings that we may not have been otherwise able to see if we weren't alone with our own thoughts. Since my last break-up, I've been alone as well, but I know it's fantastic opportunity for personal growth. It will improve, and you're clearly doing the right things for a healthy future Acheleus.

I had a good reminder last night of how drinking can cause so much damage, on so many levels. At about 1am, I woke to a sudden very loud crash and bang, followed by the power suddenly going out. A drunk driver had crashed into a utility pole across the street from my house and caused a power outage for over 600 residents. Thankfully he was not hurt too badly and neither was anyone else,...he got lucky. It was another perfect reminder that drinking is just never worth it and the sobriety road, is by far, the very best option.

Congrats again on 31 days Acheleus!! You are doing awesome!!
Old 06-29-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

31 days is an amazing achievement you should be proud... Go and exercise , smashing the gym always worked for me.....Welll done.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well I walked and swam. But I am feeling paralyzed today, and I have not felt this before. Nothing seems worth doing and I have this small voice telling me, "see, you can't be sober, you can't be happy, you are not like normal people who don't drink or give up drinking. The only way you will feel good is if you drink and you know it." So I am trying to study for a big test I have on Monday and then I have to start some kind of activity where I can meet people. It would help if I had some friends or acquaintances where I live, but I do not know anyone here and it is a big drinking town, so most of downtown is bars and clubs.

To be honest I just don't see many positive things happening because I have been sober a month. I am still alone, still sad, still feel aches and pains all the time. Even though I am drinking water and eating healthy stuff and exercising I still am not losing weight. Today is just one of the bad days I guess. Sorry to complain.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Post as much as you need to Acheleus - it's what we're here for

D
Old 06-29-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi A. I think that all of this takes time. I am sorry that you feel bummed. I get that way also. I think we all do.
Hang in there. Post everyday if you would like. I enjoy your posts, and I look to see how you are doing daily. I have not been around much. I scared myself away. I am working on this huge paper, and it is sooooooo time consuming. Im hitting the 9 hour mark today. Keep on keeping on A.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats Acheleus! You can do it. Hang in there.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Sorry you're feeling down Acheleus! You do have something to be proud of, a month is a big anniversary. It does get easier. I didn't lose weight either-I ate instead of drank, but being sober was more important. We can work on the weight thing next right?

Google sober meet ups for your town and see if there are any get togethers you can join. Join a bowling league? Take a cooking class? Theater production? Volunteer for Big Brothers Big Sisters?

Whenever I feel completely paralyzed it's because I'm exhausted. Don't try to fix everything at once, and take naps or go to bed early if you can. A really good night's sleep can change your outlook.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

You can do this Acheleus! Congratulations on the 31 days.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

One thing I have been doing is listening to a lot of classical music I have never heard. There is so much in the world that I don't know anything about! I guess I feel sad about how much time I wasted drinking, but I don't want to be full of regret all the time. Maybe I will go to bed early tonight. Thank you guys and I will just eat when I am hungry and try to worry about the weight thing down the road. Doing too much at once is making me exhausted.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Grateful

Congrats on one month Acheleus!

You said you may only post weekly instead of daily.
You said that being accountable on SR has been a big part of your sobriety.
You said you are feeling alone and sad.

I'm saying if you are feeling alone and sad you should post more on SR.
I'm saying if SR has been a big part of your sobriety you should continue posting daily.
I'm saying to keep doing what you have been doing to stay sober, you are doing great!
Old 06-29-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you I won't be afraid to post and I am posting more on other threads. SR helps me gain perspective and not feel alone in my alcoholism. Tonight is Saturday and I went for a LONG walk, my legs are very sore. But I was thinking on the way home of terrible mistakes I made because of drinking and realized I have to make this the biggest change of my life if I am going to survive. Even if I am alone and don't know how to meet people outside of bars/drinking, I will somehow learn to be a normal, sober person. I still feel like a freak without alcohol, but I hope to become stronger with the coming months. Sometimes I don't want to post because I am afraid I am bothering people. I always think like that, so that is something I need to work on.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Time takes time Achelus. Sounds silly but really its true. I've had nightmare days, days of just feeling off, being down and depressed. But there have been a lot of good days, happy moments, and confidence builders too. No matter how I feel I know change will come if I allow it.

Drinking couldn't really be the only way you felt good. Or you'd not be sober today. One thing I have noticed being sober is that my feelings are not as extreme. If I am having fun it is not as pronounced, but when I'm down on myself its not as far down.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hello Acheleus,
What you are going through is one of the hardest things to deal with early in your sobriety. I don't know your age or how long you have been drinking, but these last 31 days are something to be very proud of. You will need to learn to live again...sober...and it takes time, but it will get better soon, just be good to yourself and not try to make this happen to fast. Your brain is adjusting to no alcohol, and you will continue to feel anxious, doubtful, alone and sad....but remember you are feeling! When you drank, the booze pushed all of those feelings, and emotions down and you never felt anything but the booze. You will find that the time between feeling sad or doubtful and feeling very hopeful will get longer and longer as you continue to recover.
Stay plugged in to SR. We need you here, 31 days is a huge accomplishment. You are a source of inspiration to someone who is 2 days sober, and you will get stronger and wiser every day you stay sober. Hang in there, it is a process, and you are doing very well! Thanks for your posts.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats on 31!