Notices

Finding yourself

Old 06-29-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finding yourself

I think one of the things I struggle with as I'm not drinking is figuring out the person I really am. During my drinking days, as friends came and went I always tried to be like the other person, doubting my own traits and personality. I always saw good in everyone else and all negatives in myself. But now, I'm realizing that I have to be myself and I enjoy learning that I'm a decent guy, sober that is. This is really a work in progress in a lot of ways.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Same here. I used to be a chameleon. I have only been sober for 31 days but I hope to bit by bit reclaim who I really am even if that means forging new elements of my personality. Being sober is a bit like being out to sea with no one to tell you where to go or what to do. Recovery is a lot more complicated than I ever imagined, but I know exercising has helped me a lot and I enjoy feeling the movement and texture of my body. We have to give sobriety time I think, and we have to be patient with ourselves. But don't be afraid to take risks!
Old 06-29-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

Can totally relate to that. And it's a reason I wanted to get sober... I don't want to be what others expect... I want to be me!
Old 06-29-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been sober over three years now and still not sure who I really am... but it doesn't matter much. I'm happy with myself no matter who I am.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think finding out who I really was was one of the better gifts of recovery

Keep at it RunningRace

D
Old 06-29-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am finding that I really defend myself better at work, without getting upset or paranoid about what a person might think of me :-)
Old 06-29-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by RunningRaces View Post
I think one of the things I struggle with as I'm not drinking is figuring out the person I really am. During my drinking days, as friends came and went I always tried to be like the other person, doubting my own traits and personality. I always saw good in everyone else and all negatives in myself. But now, I'm realizing that I have to be myself and I enjoy learning that I'm a decent guy, sober that is. This is really a work in progress in a lot of ways.

It is work, but its such a gift as well. You have the rare opportunity to get to know yourself in a way most people never will. In recovery, we really have to dig deep and be as truthful with ourselves as possible. You will most likely find you missed yourself and GASP, may even start to really like yourself. The confidence you can get from this is unparalleled. Embrace it and grow as much as you can, because this is the best way I know to get the most out of your recovery so you will never want to go back to where you were.