Notices

Are alcoholics jealous of those who can drink in moderation?

Old 06-28-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Are alcoholics jealous of those who can drink in moderation?

Six days here on my second attempt to quit. My av kicks in every now and then. I read this forum pretty often and I see some of the responses to people who probably are concerned about their drinking. I wonder if some alcoholics are jealous of those who can drink in moderation and would rather see no one else drink since we can't. If we saw the drinking that goes on in college, we'd say that all those kids are alcoholics.

I look at the tests for alcoholism and some of the questions...a lot of those questions would be answered in the affirmative by anyone who has ever gotten drunk at least once in their life. I read that blackouts are a sign of alcoholism. But, I know people who are not alcoholics that have drank to the point of blackout. I might have blacked out once in my drinking career, but I'm still probably an alcoholic.

I guess I'm just bored, but this is something that has irritated me a bit. It does seem that there is an 'if I can't do it, no one should do it mentality.'
Old 06-28-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your AV kicks in now and then? This post is 100% AV.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I admit that I am a bit jealous because they can go without alcohol and it doesn't bother them. I would like to have that. I am past the point of even wanting to moderate.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dismember

I do get envious at times, sure. I was just griping the other day about how I live in one of America's beer Meccas but always see people drinking PBR or Hamm's. If that wasn't the AV slipping out I'm a magic pony. Just one of those things I accept as part of alcoholism and deal with accordingly.

I don't think I've ever held an "if I can't no one should" thought about it though.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Crossfitdad View Post
Six days here on my second attempt to quit. My av kicks in every now and then. I read this forum pretty often and I see some of the responses to people who probably are concerned about their drinking. I wonder if some alcoholics are jealous of those who can drink in moderation and would rather see no one else drink since we can't. If we saw the drinking that goes on in college, we'd say that all those kids are alcoholics.

I look at the tests for alcoholism and some of the questions...a lot of those questions would be answered in the affirmative by anyone who has ever gotten drunk at least once in their life. I read that blackouts are a sign of alcoholism. But, I know people who are not alcoholics that have drank to the point of blackout. I might have blacked out once in my drinking career, but I'm still probably an alcoholic.

I guess I'm just bored, but this is something that has irritated me a bit. It does seem that there is an 'if I can't do it, no one should do it mentality.'
LOL, I used to think my dad, who has struggled with alcoholism was always just jealous because I could drink and he couldn't when he would lecture me on my behaviors or what not. Turns out he just had more knowledge on the subject and could see things unraveling that I could not at the time. When I see people drinking, I dont even really notice it or care most time. I dont miss alcohol in the least or how I was or felt when I drank. For me, I view booze as a one way ticket back to the prison I fought like hell to get out of, not an escape or something to make me feel better. I can however, spot other people drinking who show sighs of it being or becoming a problem. I dont say anything, as its not my place, but I definitely notice it. So no, I dont get jealous of people who can drink in moderation. It just wasn't my path or how things work for me.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Normies don't feel the same euphoria. That is why they can take it or leave it. There isn't that "click" in the brain for them. It doesn't develop into an addiction because their neurotransmitters aren't deficient.

No, I'm not jealous of them being able to drink a few and stop. My drinking was entirely another animal altogether. It was euphoric and eventually, devastating. It ran the entire gamut.

Normal drinkers pretty much experience a tip of that whole iceberg. From what I understand, anyway.

The alcoholic obsession with "just one" doesn't happen for them.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No, not anymore. Probably at one time.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'll be honest. I am jealous of that. I wish I c
Old 06-28-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'll be honest. I am jealous of that. I wish I could take it or leave it like my husband does. I realize this is going to be my struggle in life. But everyone struggles with something, right?
Old 06-28-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

No. Not since I accepted what I am.

D
Old 06-28-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Your AV kicks in now and then? This post is 100% AV.
Whatever. Sorry if I hit a nerve.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't ever think about drinking in moderation. That's not me. It would feel like wishing I was short when in fact I'm tall. I like me just fine the way I was made. Alcohol just doesn't work for me. I don't drink it. I'll live.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I like that 360. Thanks for the post.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don't think I am, but I have seen people on this forum profess envy of people who can moderate, so some are, some aren't. Everybody's a special snowflake, you know
Old 06-28-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I wish I wasn't an alcoholic, but I have accepted that I am. And hence I accept the fact that other people can drink in moderation and i cannot.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Crossfitdad View Post
I like that 360. Thanks for the post.
I never envy drinkers
I have suffered tremendously from Alcohol
I've been sober 24 year I was having seizures
Arrested for severe crimes . Now I still have my family beautiful grandchildren and a successful career.
I live a life I count even dream of 24 years ago.
But it isn't just the stopping of drinking .
It the beauty of practising a spiritual program.
In the 12 step it says having had a spiritual awakening . To awaken means to become aware .
I am now aware of things that go are going on around me but it also means the lessening of my wants in the world and trying to encourage others . So no I don't envy someone that can drink because maybe he can't play guitar like me .
I just recognize the differences
Old 06-28-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, I was jealous in the beginning. Still am sometimes. I would sit and watch people drink "normally" and wonder what their secret was. How come they could just walk away from (Dear Lord!!) at least half a glass of wine on the table and not finish it? How could they make a beer last an entire hour? How come they got to be so nonchalant about happy hour and the Christmas party and the work trip? Weren't they freaking out a little inside about drinking too much and making a fool out of themselves?

Umm, the answer is no, they weren't. For exactly the reasons Jennie articulated above.

So, yeah, I was jealous and sometimes still a little...nostalgic? Probably the wrong word because I was never normal. And I never will be. I know that now and once accepted, it's easier to move on.

Good post, though, thanks!
Old 06-28-2013, 09:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I don't ever feel the "if I can't have it no one can" thing. I do get jealous sometimes when people are genuinely having fun drinking. I had plenty of those times myself way back when and seeing them laughing brings back happy nostalgic memories for me.

These moments are fleeting though, because a big part of my success in staying sober has been following these thoughts all the way through to the end. For me, it would be fun early on in the night and negative consequences later. Probably if we saw these same people about 6 hours later we might not feel that jealous lol

I also get a little jealous if I see someone that has a beautiful house, but I don't dwell on it. The drinking thing is kind of like that-a passing thought...wishful thinking but nothing to lose sleep over... Maybe someday I'll have a great house, but I know I'm not wishing to be a drinker again.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

No, I accept that I can't drink. Jealousy builds resentment and what's the point of that. I'm about as jealous of people drinking as I am of people sticking a needle in their arm. It's something I can't ever do.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I was when I first quit drinking. I didn't want to be around anyone who drank. Yup it bugged me. Now it is a lot easier. I can go to restaurants and I'm okay. However, you won't see me going to parties or to the bars. Just not sure how I would do there.

Just because I can't drink doesn't mean others can't, I'm the one with the problem. I just don't have to put myself in any situation I don't feel comfortable in.