Notices

Bad day!

Old 06-28-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Bad day!

So as you all know, I am usually very upbeat and try and be positive, but today was just awful. It was my 12th day of work in a row, so I was already tired and impatient. I got an email from HR denying me the raise I requested a month ago. It was rude and just annoying. I work harder and have more responsibility than anyone where I work and found out I am being paid the exact same wage as brand new people who work only part time. I have been at the company over a year.
Then, my coworker had a bout of road rage (ive really bonded with him, or so I thought) and when someone pulled out in front of him, he yelled "Fagg0t". He instantly knew what he had done and it got very awkward and quiet in the car. I was hurt because I spend a lot of time with him and now I know that word is a large part of his vocabulary, or he wouldn't have yelled it when angry. Both these instances happened within 10 minutes of each-other and I felt like I was going to have a meltdown. I almost walked off the job and went home, but I gathered myself outside and carried on. Another day sober, and I focused on all the good things going on in my world. This was just one day, and I will not let it effect everything I have worked so hard to build. What do you do when you have a bad day?

Im lucky that I dont think about drinking when I am stressed or bummed, but my confidence is bruised and I feel deflated tonight. I just needed to vent for once.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nighthawk8820 View Post
So as you all know, I am usually very upbeat and try and be positive, but today was just awful. It was my 12th day of work in a row, so I was already tired and impatient. I got an email from HR denying me the raise I requested a month ago. It was rude and just annoying. I work harder and have more responsibility than anyone where I work and found out I am being paid the exact same wage as brand new people who work only part time. I have been at the company over a year.
Then, my coworker had a bout of road rage (ive really bonded with him, or so I thought) and when someone pulled out in front of him, he yelled "Fagg0t". He instantly knew what he had done and it got very awkward and quiet in the car. I was hurt because I spend a lot of time with him and now I know that word is a large part of his vocabulary, or he wouldn't have yelled it when angry. Both these instances happened within 10 minutes of each-other and I felt like I was going to have a meltdown. I almost walked off the job and went home, but I gathered myself outside and carried on. Another day sober, and I focused on all the good things going on in my world. This was just one day, and I will not let it effect everything I have worked so hard to build. What do you do when you have a bad day?
After travelling very badly for decades Iv'e been travelling pretty fairly for round 5 months.
I sort of expect, in a positive way, that things could turn bad for me at any time and sort of contemplate my response at such a time.
What is very important to me presently is taking one day at a time, preparing for the day, and not looking way ahead (within reason) and turning to a higher transcendental power that I can equate with. For many years I was more or less agnostic.

The fact that you got upset is understandable, but I don't think alcohol would have helped in the big picture in any conceivable way. Hope you will persist in your sobriety and tackle the negatives without the booze, hard as that may be, and believe me that 'solution' always pushed me further and further in to the doldrums of addiction and misery.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Oh no, Im not even considering drinking. This is more discussing how external events are impacting my serenity and I am feeling low. Alcohol isnt a factor for me anymore, but I am feeling bruised and down. Thanks for the post. Im glad its Friday and now I have the weekend off away from that place. Maybe this is God's way of telling me its time to move on to a new job, lord knows I am qualified now.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

It must be in the air today. I almost blew a gasket at work today over someone who is totally taking advantage of me.

I, on the other hand, fought like hell to not fall into the bottle.

You are not alone.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dismember

What do I do with a bad day?

Pretty much what you did. Collect myself, put the day aside and be grateful I made it through sober.

Nicely done! Though I'm sorry you had a rough one.
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nighthawk8820 View Post
Oh no, Im not even considering drinking. This is more discussing how external events are impacting my serenity and I am feeling low. Alcohol isnt a factor for me anymore, but I am feeling bruised and down. Thanks for the post. Im glad its Friday and now I have the weekend off away from that place. Maybe this is God's way of telling me its time to move on to a new job, lord knows I am qualified now.
Could be God's way? Maybe not............take it steady, compulsiveness was a big trap for me leading to all manner of bad places........
Saturday here and I'm off to the football.......Go Bulls!
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nighthawk - I had one of the worst days yesterday and today - so I understand. I honestly got pissed that I had a paper jam and my instinct was to pick the printer up and toss it across the room. Frustrated, pissed at myself, impatient, angry - feeling many things that I guess I have repressed with alcohol. What did I do? I went for a walk - didn't help. I made three different juices (homemade lemonade, apple/celery/ginger juice) and green tea - all to help with cravings because that is the hardest part right now. Nothing seemed to be working, so I sat on the ground - did some deep breathing and closed my eyes and just willed my mind and my body to relax. For some reason, it worked.

I've never been that type of person - yoga or breathing - but focusing on the now and accepting that I can't change anything and I just need to be in the moment NOW - you know something? It really helped me. I sat there for a good 15 minutes until I got my emotions under control and I have had a better night.

I'm sorry about your work - that is frustrating in itself and certainly unfair. It is a normal reaction to be hurt by what your friend said - and I'm sure your friend feels terrible about it. Its not right, but sometimes people make mistakes with what they say when they are angry. Forgiveness is a powerful thing.

I wish you the best - I really do enjoy reading your posts. You are an inspiration to me. You have done it and continue to do it! At 13 days, I hope I make it too
Old 06-28-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear they didn't honor your request for a raise. And your friend reacting the way he did right after the bad news, well that would be hard because it feels like an avalanche of emotions, I'm sure.

You do sound like you're in a good healthy place though! Mindfulness during the situation, accepting it for what it is... feeling the emotions, though they are unpleasant... breathing through it... and then allowing yourself to move through it all... sounds like you're doing a pretty good job of it.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Well. I had a poop day too. I am putting on bad TV (Mistresses), eating almond butter and drinking seltzer. Oh, and I hit a meeting right after work. Still crabby but I know when I wake up, I will be golden.

You did the most important thing, you didn't drink! Find out what helps you unwind now.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
It must be in the air today. I almost blew a gasket at work today over someone who is totally taking advantage of me.

I, on the other hand, fought like hell to not fall into the bottle.

You are not alone.
I started out happy as a clam, but it all changed as work continued. It was awful, I was emotional driving home. Hang in there buddy, you will feel better tomorrow.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Sonrisa12 View Post
Nighthawk - I had one of the worst days yesterday and today - so I understand. I honestly got pissed that I had a paper jam and my instinct was to pick the printer up and toss it across the room. Frustrated, pissed at myself, impatient, angry - feeling many things that I guess I have repressed with alcohol. What did I do? I went for a walk - didn't help. I made three different juices (homemade lemonade, apple/celery/ginger juice) and green tea - all to help with cravings because that is the hardest part right now. Nothing seemed to be working, so I sat on the ground - did some deep breathing and closed my eyes and just willed my mind and my body to relax. For some reason, it worked.

I've never been that type of person - yoga or breathing - but focusing on the now and accepting that I can't change anything and I just need to be in the moment NOW - you know something? It really helped me. I sat there for a good 15 minutes until I got my emotions under control and I have had a better night.

I'm sorry about your work - that is frustrating in itself and certainly unfair. It is a normal reaction to be hurt by what your friend said - and I'm sure your friend feels terrible about it. Its not right, but sometimes people make mistakes with what they say when they are angry. Forgiveness is a powerful thing.

I wish you the best - I really do enjoy reading your posts. You are an inspiration to me. You have done it and continue to do it! At 13 days, I hope I make it too
Thank you for saying that, It makes me feel pretty great. Congrats on the 13 days, I wish you amazing luck and blessings.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Murchovski View Post
Could be God's way? Maybe not............take it steady, compulsiveness was a big trap for me leading to all manner of bad places........
Saturday here and I'm off to the football.......Go Bulls!

Yeah, I called my buddy and as I was talking I said I wasnt making any big decision today or taking anything to heart until after the weekend. 12 days of work in a row and I am obviously hot headed and short as is, no need to make snap choices I might later regret. Have fun with the game!!!! Thanks for the posts.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Bad days happen. I think you've done a terrific job handling this one Nighthawk!
Old 06-28-2013, 08:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope tomorrows a better day Nighthawk

D
Old 06-28-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

sorry you had a rough day, nighthawk. hope it got better. glad you saw it for what a was, a sh&* day, not a day to drink over.

nice work. and good on you for not strangling your friend. the f word is just plain ugly no matter how you slice it.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I do just what you did Nighthawk. I vent to my friends. Then people who care about me would say...

That was not a nice thing he said. You were tired from working very hard. It sounds like you were not shown appreciation for your hard work. That must be hard. I'm sorry you had a bad day. I hope tomorrow is better for you.

Then I get or give a ((((hug)))).

(((Hug)))
Old 06-28-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow, it must have been in the air last today. I wrote a post about my bad day earlier. Mine was self inflicted though. I made a careless mistake at work and I'm just sick about it. All my fault and no one to blame. But I didn't drink over it and went to a meeting. Tomorrow is another day.

Sorry about your day Nighthawk and everyone else. Isn't it great we have this place!!
Old 06-28-2013, 09:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
OX

Sorry for your bad day. I've not been mr. Happy lately and all the little things have been gnawing me.

Oh well.

About your friend, I do stuff like that a lot, say the absolute worst thing in a situation. Almost terrets -like. Just a gift I have

Fantastic Saturdays all around!
Old 06-29-2013, 12:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Sheeese ! It must be in the air . I expressed myself at work today . Better to get it out than keeping it inside. It felt good. Nighthawk , you are an awesome dude . If your work don't appreciate you , I do
Old 06-29-2013, 04:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Nighthawk I hope the weekend goes well for you. Just one thing to think about ...

I was hurt because I spend a lot of time with him and now I know that word is a large part of his vocabulary, or he wouldn't have yelled it when angry.
Admittedly I only do this when driving alone but when I swear in traffic I use language that I never use or think at other times. It may be the same for your friend.