Notices

Let's do this - day 1

Old 06-28-2013, 04:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Let's do this - day 1

I've never done anything like this before, but I figured it was time. I've constantly tried to hide how bad my problem was - to my family, my friends, and even to myself. I figured it was part of what I did for a living, or just a normal activity of a young, professional 20-something. I often times don't "go out" or stay late, or even stay for more than a few beers - but I've been doing that every day for the last 2 years - so it's time to quit.

What can I expect? The good? The bad? The ugly?

Any tips from the pros?

PS - this seems like a really cool place to go for help with recovery, I'm excited.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hey bw... welcome to SR!

i'm a newbie (just over a month sober), so i don't qualify as an old pro... but i'm finding sobriety to be amazing.

everyone has a different journey... for me, the best parts are being clear-headed and getting good sleep every night. the most difficult part is learning to work my way through the wreckage of my past. but, being able to feel again (even the awful stuff) is such a gift!

glad you found us... you'll find lots of strength and encouragement (and understanding) here!
Old 06-28-2013, 04:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.Congratulations on deciding to quit,great decision

It is not easy in the beginning but can be done.

The one statement that helped me in my early days was don't pick up the first drink and you can't get drunk.It was always the first drink that was my downfall,after that all my good intentions of just having a few went out the window.

Keep yourself well hydrated,plain water is the best,avoid too much tea or coffee.

Take it a day at a time.

Wishing you well.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi. One thing you seem to have is the ability to be HONEST with your self. The big thing to be aware of is that if you don't pick up the FIRST drink you don't have to get sober AGAIN. The first couple of weeks can be quite difficult withdrawing. Keeping in touch here helps many and going to AA has helped millionS. A big thing most have is the inner shite fairy after a short period whispering to us things like it wasn't that bad, you could have one, what am I going to do when..........., you want to be social don't you and on and on. AS said in AA, alcohol is only the tip of the problem, we have to work on the reasons we drank in order to be peaceful with ourselves. We do get out of it what we put in. BE WELL
Old 06-28-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Read, read, read. So much information. Members here are using a variety of methods/techniques/programs to stay sober. Learn about them and find the one that's right for you.

Welcome. Now get to work!
Old 06-28-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. This is something I've wanted for a some time now, but it took a while before I made the jump to finally do it. I've often sat around and day dreamed (more or less) about what it'd be like to be sober - no fear any more. No more self loathing or hiding my actions and my pains. I always said I'd commit, but I figure most of us that make this jump have said that.

No better time but the present. One day at a time, here goes nothin!
Old 06-28-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you're here.