Feeling down (OT)

Old 06-27-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling down (OT)

Hi everyone, this is OT because it's really not about my AH, it's about my inability to let go and let God. My son and I have been recovering from a viral intestinal illness that really knocked us down over the weekend. We're both back to eating normal foods, taking probiotics, and feeling healthier in general. The only setback we had is that my son broke out in a weird rash when the virus was ending for him.

The virus has given him skin that is extremely heat sensitive and has affected his skin in different ways. He has bumps on his tongue, his feet and hands look like alligator skin, and he is miserable sometimes when his torso flares up from heat. He is supposed to be going up north with some friends on Tuesday for a 3 day vacation, his first without me and I know the kids were all looking forward to it. We're not sure if he'll be 100% by then. Also, next Saturday we're supposed to be leaving for a 2 week trip to FL, which I am very much looking forward to. So, here I am, worried about this rash, wondering if it will heal up in time, hating seeing my kid suffer in pain and discomfort, and then worried about having to tell him that his fun summer stuff may not happen.

The FL thing is a bit of a big deal because he worked very hard this spring to get his ranking up high enough to qualify. He was accepted into the tournament this past week, they only take the top 128 kids who apply and about 300 applied. He was very excited and it's so hard to think that you might have to squash your kids' dreams.

I know, it's 8 days away. I know I need to trust the greater plan that my HP has set for us. I know these things, but it doesn't make it easier to deal with it. Or, maybe I just haven't developed the tools yet. I guess I just need people to tell me that it will be OK. I keep telling my son, let's just take it one day at a time and we treat the symptoms as best as we can. But, I can tell he's already thinking about what could happen even though I haven't said anything about my own fears about FL. Man, I hate being such a worrier and neurotic mother, LOL. I wish I was like my own mother who was so easy going and handled these types of things with such grace.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Okay, this may be too easy of an answer lizatola,
but he could just be having a reaction to some medication he took for the virus!
He could clear up in 24-48 hours.
That is what I am going to believe anyway.
My son used to get terrible rashes from the antibiotics he was taking as an infant
(he had surgery on his liver and that little tube that goes from liver to kidney)
he took massive amounts.
Horrible, blistering rashes.

Let the boy go naked is what the doc said.
keep him dry and cool and naked.

Positive thoughts, no worries.
This will be gone by then.
Positive thoughts only allowed.

Beth
Old 06-27-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Google hand foot and moth disease. It usually is for toddlers but I got it when my youngest had it when she was 3 or so. I'm no doctor but it sounds exactly like what you're dealing with.

And if it is, he should be fine in time for the Florida trip.

I hope google isn't a way of getting around trustingGod?
Old 06-27-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Were the probiotics normal before the illness?

Also, I had a reaction where the skin on my hands and feet,
it just peeled off.
Terrible looking, but not very painful, unless I got to a part
that wasn't peeling yet.

It was an anti depressant I was taking.
OMG the name escapes me now.
Lemme think.

I think it is used sometimes for smokers to quit smoking,
it is the only anti depressant I ever reacted too.
I stopped taking it, the peeling stopped immediately.

(I am not normally a reactive person to meds.
not allergic to anything)

I am going to keep believing it will be over soon.
Way before it is time to go.

Beth

lillamy is on to something there too!
I forgot about that, they thought of that when I reacted to that medicine.
still cant think of the name!

positive soothing healing thoughts only.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the response, Beth, but he's taken no meds for this since it's viral. He's had this happen once before after a stomach virus, when he was 4 or 5 I think. It's his body's way of shedding the virus and he has very sensitive skin to begin with.

I switched his bath stuff over to all natural, aloe vera and oatmeal stuff. He takes an oatmeal bath daily and I slather him in coconut oil or castor oil. And, I make him put rose oil ointment on his face where the skin is peeling and cracking. I'm sure his buddies would love to know that he likes rose oil on his face, but hey it helps right?

I just keep praying it will clear up sooner rather than later, I know that rashes can sometimes hang on.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i'm sorry if this sounds obtuse, but how about taking him to the doctor???
you are balancing his overall HEALTH against going to some tournament. IMO, as a mom, what might be planned has no bearing or weight against what my child is experiencing NOW.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
Google hand foot and moth disease. It usually is for toddlers but I got it when my youngest had it when she was 3 or so. I'm no doctor but it sounds exactly like what you're dealing with.

And if it is, he should be fine in time for the Florida trip.

I hope google isn't a way of getting around trustingGod?
LOL, no, I don't think so! It's not hand foot and mouth disease as far as they can tell. There is no blistering of the skin or lesions. It's almost like his skin looks like alligator skin or like he has smaller than normal goosebumps. His feet and hands are bright red and feel like they're shriveled up yet he doesn't complain about them hurting. What hurts the most is the tongue lesions and the heat rash and also his nasal passages.

I called a pediatrician friend of mine on Sunday night and she just said it was viral and had to run it's course and then I took him to our GP on Tuesday and he said the same thing and gave me more suggestions on how to help the symptoms telling me to just bring him back if it gets worse or changes in a negative way.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
i'm sorry if this sounds obtuse, but how about taking him to the doctor???
you are balancing his overall HEALTH against going to some tournament. IMO, as a mom, what might be planned has no bearing or weight against what my child is experiencing NOW.
Oops, didn't mention that in my original post. I have been in daily contact with the doctor's office and had him seen on Monday by a nurse practitioner and then again on Tuesday by the doctor when the rash spread to his groin and I was concerned. The doctor thinks it will most likely clear up before FL, but as a mom, I still worry and I would never jeopardize his health for a trip like that. He knows it, and he knows I won't take him unless he's 100%. Hence the reason I don't want to disappoint him because I know the reality and sometimes reality bites.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I assumed he had already gone to the doc, and had no answers.
okay.

I have very sensitive skin, since I was a baby.

The oils may be exacerbating the problem because of the perfumes.
I have psoriasis now, but even before I had this (started in my early 30's)
I could not bathe with bath salts or oils because my skin would burn and itch and
felt like it was contracting it was so tight.

all those perfumes maybe holding up the healing.
just an idea.

Beth
Old 06-27-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Only positive, healthy, healing thoughts here.

I assume it will be gone in time for the trip.
Maybe do something, anything to take your minds off of this problem right now.

Learn to meditate!
Works great and soothes the soul.

Beth
Old 06-27-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would do the oils into the body, not onto it.

Coconut oil is great internally (I also do Omega oil too) - take a few T's a day, warmed, wash it down with a chaser (water works for me). My skin has never looked or felt better, and I no longer having hive outbreaks, especially when I work out. Amazingly, I have a mild condition of being allergic to my own sweat. Yeah, weird, I know.

This too shall pass. I wouldn't make any decisions on the trips until right before. My guess is he'll be fine. Let him go - sounds like he's earned them.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Have you tried Aquaphor? I have really sensitive skin, moreso in the winter when it's dry. Anything with any perfume and a lot of plant based stuff really irritates it. I use Aquaphor, the advanced therapy ointment (diabetics and radiation patients use it). It is very moisturizing, soothing, and non irritating. I have no idea if it will help your son but it really helps my rashes.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The oils we use are non allergenic, have no scents, and are gentle on the skin especially the coconut oil. We've been using them for a while so it's not a sensitivity to that.

I also have him using a body wash from Cetaphil that's for people with eczema and psoriasis and also a lotion for the same application. They do help relieve symptoms externally but they don't help in his mouth, LOL.

He's doing Ok for the most part, just uncomfortable and ticked off about it. Of course, it's going to be near 120 degrees for the next 2 days here so it's not like he was going to be doing anything special anyway this weekend. It's perfect rest time and I'm already finding some projects and games we can play to keep us occupied.

Tuffgirl, I take caprylic acid which is basically from coconuts for candida issues(among other things), now that his stomach is feeling better I can probably start giving him supplements. You're right, coconut oil is very healing, even from the inside out!
Old 06-28-2013, 08:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Why does he have to be 100% to let him go on the florida trip?
If he's on the mend, and not horribly scathed, why must it be 100%?

Ask your mom for advice maybe. You say she handled this kind of stuff with grace. What would she do?
Old 06-28-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlueSkies1 View Post
Why does he have to be 100% to let him go on the florida trip?
If he's on the mend, and not horribly scathed, why must it be 100%?

Ask your mom for advice maybe. You say she handled this kind of stuff with grace. What would she do?
Mainly because he'll be on court training for 6 hours a day and his rash is very heat sensitive right now. He won't be able to go to the beach, go to tennis training, etc and these were the reasons we're going. He certainly doesn't want to go on vacation to sit indoors and do nothing.

He's no better this AM. I'm ok with whatever happens, I just hate to see him disappointed when he worked so hard to get where he is. But, hey that's life. We're taking it one day at a time right now.

The 100% thing regarding his trip with his friends came from the other boy's mother. She specifically told me that my son is not invited if he's not 100%. Sigh, it's not like the rash is contagious but she made it clear to me that he must be rash clear.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

LIZ---what charm school did SHE graduate from???

dandylion
Old 06-28-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Mainly because he'll be on court training for 6 hours a day and his rash is very heat sensitive right now. He won't be able to go to the beach, go to tennis training, etc and these were the reasons we're going. He certainly doesn't want to go on vacation to sit indoors and do nothing.
Oh, I feel for him.

When I was in AIT in Georgia, (school after basic training) I got a rash that was similar to this. It was only on my forearms and face (the only part exposed to the sun because of my uniform) and when I went into the sun, I could actually see the redness start and move up my arm, and feel my face warming up.

It was in GA during June, and some of those days could be miserable.
It did go away, and they never diagnosed it, just said "skin reaction" maybe to
the fertilizers on the exercise field.

It did stop after a few days though. But, it was funny, the doctors gave orders
that I could not be in the sun.
Well, in GA, during June and during training it was hilarious.
I could not be in formation with the rest of the troops,
I had to run from one shady tree to another!

:rotfxko

and, some of my peers were jealous of my shade profile, and wanted to get one too!

I hope it clears up in time.
I guess the only thing left is meditation.

Beth
Old 06-28-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
LIZ---what charm school did SHE graduate from???

dandylion
Don't ask. I'm not close with this woman, she's just the mother of my son's friend. We know each other well but aren't real chummy, LOL.

Actually, her text said: don't want to disappoint him, but if he's not 100% then he can't come. Don't want my kids getting sick before we go to FL.

Umm, I then explained to her that he's not contagious and I can provide her with the doctor's number to back it up. She never responded.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

That's kind of sh*tty of her.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It is pretty dang stinky of her.
She has something else going on.
Your son do better than hers?
(kids don't care that much, sometimes parents can be insane)
I think she sucks.

Beth