Notices

Getting back together with a recovering alcoholic

Old 06-27-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting back together with a recovering alcoholic

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. A little about my situation. Been married 20 years, three kids, wife is a recovering alcoholic. We are currently separated, have been for a year and a half. Been through everything imaginable living with an alcoholic for so long. After many failed attempts at recovery we separated and she got her own place. She still would not quit drinking. When she got served divorce papers she finally got sober and has been for a year and a half. She asked me to hold off on the divorce and give her a chance to get better. It gave both of us the time we needed. We'be kept in touch and from time to time would do things together. I have reached out to her about reconciling and being a couple again. I know we would have to take things slow and see what happens. I'm willing and able to do that. I still love my wife. She does not seem as interested as she once did. Has she moved on? Should I let her go? Maybe that's what's best for her. Is she still going through psychological changes from sobriety? She drank for many years.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry.. I see you have 3 children

Hard call. I would move on. Remember the old saying "A rock doesn't have to fall on my heard before ...."

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-27-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have you said to/asked her everything you've said/asked here? That seems like a good place to start.

Wishing the best for you, her, and your kids!
Old 06-27-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Dean!

Has she moved on? Should I let her go? Maybe that's what's best for her. Is she still going through psychological changes from sobriety?
I think you really need to ask your wife these questions, and take it from there.

D
Old 06-27-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I agree wtih the others, such a hard call to make. Recovery takes a long time, in fact, I know for me, it will be a lifetime of work. I know for me the last thing I want right now is a relationship, I have too much baggage to work thru.

Maybe she is just not ready yet?
Old 06-27-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would heed Dee's ever sage comments...
My sobriety is in its absolute infancy but I am aware that I actually have no idea who I am and need to find out. Your wife is, and has been, on quite a journey. Do you even know her anymore? Questions are a great way to find out..well, anything.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dean19 View Post
She does not seem as interested as she once did.
I would not pursue a relationship with somebody who didn't seem interested in having one with me.