Notices

At Rock Bottom & Ready to start climbing back up

Old 06-27-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

At Rock Bottom & Ready to start climbing back up

Hi everybody, I am new here and wanted to introduce myself. I guess my thread title says it all. I'm 30 years old and am ready to stop drinking. I've been checking out these forums for a few weeks now and all I can say is, what an amazing group of people you all are.

A little about me, I started drinking when I was 15 and it has been a problem for me ever since. In the beginning it was some of the most fun and hilarious moments in my life, or so I thought. For the last few years, it has not been fun at all. Looking back on the problems I have in my life, every single one of them is attributable to my drinking. At one point, I had gone an entire year without drinking and then on the night of my one year anniversary, I made that bad decision and picked up. I made that year by attending and following AA and the steps. And now I'm even worse off than before. This time the withdrawals were horrifying and scary. Part of my will to stop drinking is fear from what I went through, and the toll its taken on my health, but mostly, I just want my life back, the life I was born to live. For the past 10 years, I have not been living, but just going through the motions.

Somehow, I was able to attend college, find a great job, and then a few years ago attend law school and graduate. After college, I came out of the closet and was met with love and caring from friends and family. I thought my drinking would tone down, and it just got worse. And now, here I am, broken. All by facades are down and my problem has hit me head on. I'm lucky that a lot of worse things didn't happen to me, and that I was able to achieve a lot. This past weekend I hit a point where I almost threw everything away with some bad drunken decisions and it scared me to death. I was lucky. Now I'm taking steps to get back on track. I've gotten involved in AA again and am trying to get going in the right direction. I'm finding this so much harder than the last time I quit. But I want this so bad.

Anyway, that's my long winded intro. Have a great day everyone.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR RunningRaces. You'll find a lot of info and support here, as you've already probably seen from lurking for a few weeks. Glad to hear you are back on track, and you are right that subsequent relapses/detox periods can get progressively worse.

Hopefully your renewed AA committment coupled with SR here can make this a permanent thing for you down the road. Stay strong and let us know how we can help.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Thanks for joining us!

Glad to hear you are back in the saddle with AA.

The support here on SR can really make a huge difference for you this time. Stick around, read, post and enjoy "sailing" into recovery!
Old 06-27-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, I'm glad you found us.

I do think each attempt to quit drinking becomes harder than the last. I'm glad you're committed to living a sober life.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! We're a very supportive community here. I am glad you've decided to join us and stop drinking for good. Sober life is so rewarding.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Welcome !!
Old 06-27-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome to the family, running.