Notices

What feels right

Old 06-26-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What feels right

I was talking with a friend the other day, and here is what I said...

For so long - it felt normal to be tipsy, drunk, under the influence. I welcomed that feeling every night. It felt normal, I felt normal, under the influence.

Now, it feels so completely foreign to be sober every night. All in all, I wish I could say I loved the feeling. Im not too sure I do - and that is me being honest.

Will I drink? NO. I won't do it.

But, I guess when you look at yourself and you say something like. " it feels more normal to be drunk than sober", then BOY, you really can't deny that you have a problem with alcohol anymore.

Just my two cents.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, often the problem is not just with the alcohol. For me, alcohol was the symptom. The horrible pain I was feeling inside myself was the problem. That's why recovery requires so much hard work.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It takes time to get used to living sober. I had to get used to feeling, yuck. But then the good feelings started coming & it's a gift Being drunk is unnatural, we weren't intended to live in a stupor. Hang in there & keep posting!
Old 06-26-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took me a while to get used to living sober too. A few months at least. But I got used to it and now I love living sober!
Old 06-26-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
DAB

I used to be that way with weed. I would smoke when I woke up and each time I would come down throughout the day. This was just to feel normal. When I would stop for a day or two, I would feel high from being straight, just because it felt different.
Luckily I never let my alcoholism escalate to that point.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree about the adjustment. It definitely took me a few months. Gradually, I began to feel excited about my new life - not resentful or like I was missing out. You're learning to live in a whole new way, Sonrisa. You will get there.