Notices

New to the site

Old 06-26-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the site

I am so glad I found this site. I've been lurking and reading your posts and gaining support and finally found the courage to post.

Basically I was sober for 2 years and resumed drinking in April. I thought I could handle it, but this month, I got to the point where I was drinking 3-4 times a week. I want to stop before it gets worse. I can't deny it any more. I've abused the priviledge to drink alcohol....and my licence to drink has been revoked. Right now I am not feeling sad or regretful about it...I actually feel relief. I do want to change my life, and thinking patterns that lead me to think I can be a normal drinker.

I am 5 days sober now and going at it one day at a time.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats and welcome.

Do you have a plan?
Old 06-26-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Lucky. 2 years is a great stretch of sobriety. Glad to see you are trying to get back to that place before things get way out of hand. What did you do to stay sober those 2 years?
Old 06-26-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For those two years, I was in Lifering, therapy and taking 5 types of medications for some type of mental illness which in a large part had been triggered by alcohol. I finally got off those medications in december and by April thought I could moderate alcohol. Wrong. My doctor recommends I get back on those medications, but deep inside, I feel I should deal with my real problem which is alcohol abuse.

My plan for stay sober includes getting back to lifering, 3 month group patient addiction therapy which starts today and staying plugged in online sobriety.

Thanks for the welcome
Old 06-26-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds great. Welcome, I'm pretty new here too.

Stay strong.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you joined us.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Lucky! I think you'll find it very helpful to be here. This is a great place for understanding and support.

I had 3 years sober once and decided I could use willpower to control what I drank. I didn't understand back then. I was on the verge of destroying myself when I came here. I can't touch the stuff. It's much easier to avoid it all together and be free. You've made a great decision.