How to start a Nar-Anon Group

Old 06-26-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to start a Nar-Anon Group

I have read on SR so many times that people attend Al-Anon because they don't have a Nar-Anon meeting in their area. There is certainly nothing wrong with that and it's good to know that we can find support in those rooms. But another thread made me think that people may think they can't or don't know how. It is so easy to start a meeting!! Please see the link below for suggestions on how to do it.

Starting a Meeting (FAQs) | Nar-Anon Family Groups

There are many people here on SR who have started meetings and can provide guidance on how to do so or answer your questions.

If there is a need in your community, start a meeting. You don't know how many others may be in your same shoes.......and could benefit from the support of a Nar-Anon meeting.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 06-26-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this....I've certainly been considering it, but hesitate because I feel I should probably work all the steps through and understand them thoroughly before I commit to it, I wouldn't want to be seen as a phony! I enjoy the al-anon group I attend very much and have connected with many of the people. I do feel sometimes they just don't understand the added layers of illegality that addiction often brings with it. I recognize alcoholism causes just as much angst and destruction within the homes and lives of people affected by it and because of this do feel I get alot out of the meetings I attend. However; I find more comfort on this site from other parents and loved ones dealing with the affects of addiction. I believe society as a whole has a more tolerant view on alcoholism...(disclosure: this is just MY opinion obviously).
Old 06-26-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lizwig
My home group had no one who had completed all 12 steps for the first couple of years I was going. We had no one who was "qualified" to be a sponsor. (Yes really)

Many of us chose a sponsor from Al-Anon and went to a healthy, established Al-Anon meeting in addition to attending the Nar-Anon meeting so that we could work the steps to ensure our own growth and provide a resource to new members in the Nar-Anon group.

Today, we have several people who are able to act as sponsors in our Nar-Anon meeting. It just took time.......and that's ok.

Meetings have to start somewhere. It's like childbirth.....if we all waited to give birth until the circumstances were "perfect".......mankind would become extinct. lol

The WSO can provide guidance. Other friends in Al-Anon can provide guidance. And there is a wealth of help and guidance right here on SR. Don't let your own inexperience stop you. From what I have read of your posts here on SR, you have a good base.

I would encourage you to jump....and let your HP lead you and a new group. I'd be willing to bet that you could find someone in Al-Anon who is there for the same reason you are who has a lot of program under their belt who would be willing to join you in the effort to establish a Nar-Anon Family Group.

I have a story. My sponsor started a Nar-Anon group. I attended to support her efforts. For almost two months, she and I would show up......and that's it. She became very discouraged. I gently suggested that perhaps she was trying to control the attendance and perhaps she might think about turning that issue over to her HP. She laughed (she does that a lot) and agreed. The meeting is about 7 months old now and is well attended by 6-10 people each week.

Trust the process.......

gentle hugs
ke
Old 06-26-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are a super star Kindeyes! There are 2 women I am going to talk with after our meeting this week. I believe one would co-start with me. She is very new but has mentioned feeling this is something REALLY, REALLY needed in our area. I'm going to hand it to my HP, continue to think on it a bit, and look for signs. I think I'll drive the hour necessary to attend one this Saturday and see how much it differs. I have been chairing at our al-anon meetings the last couple of months and actually have really enjoyed it. I don't think I have scared anyone off! And they keep asking...so I must have done alright. Thanks again...
Old 06-26-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Go for it, Lizwig! I will cheer you on and then start a meeting in my community...the one I go to is awesome but I think we need more than one in the area. Once I get some other things settled in my life, I am going to pursue this, too.

Thanks, KE, for the nudge. I have attended both Al-Anon and Nar-Anon and find them so different because of the illegal & extreme danger that drugs add to the mix. I always felt I was kind of scaring people at Al-Anon meetings with my early story and introductions.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We need one in our area for sure I may look into that.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ladies
You ROCK! You CAN do this....it's really not hard. If you have any questions, I'll help where I can and I'm sure others will as well.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 06-26-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks KE I recently contacted our NA branch and inquired about Nar-anon meetings in my town, and there is not any and the lady told me that If I would be interested in starting a group they'd provide guidance and literature. I can't do this, I'm not good at speaking to lots of people and telling people my story, I am way to ashamed. I am so broke its not funny and where would I find a suitable venue. The list of reasons why not too, goes on and on. But I have benefited so much from the advice here on SR and I know others who are also suffering because of a loved ones addiction.I think I am going to give this some serious thought. I feel that I lack the ability to take charge of a group, that I am not educated enough, I did attend a few Al-anon meetings but found that it did not really suit my situation. I do wish that I had sum one to do the steps with and I would like to help others to find a way to deal with addicted loved one. Thanks for the encouraging post.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Angelscry
Hey there.....you don't have to do it alone......it always helps to have a couple of people and Al-Anon is a good source for a sponsor (my sponsor is now with Nar-Anon but she came to Nar-Anon AFTER becoming my sponsor.....she was originally with Al-Anon!). I have no doubt that there are people in Al-Anon who are attending because there is no Nar-Anon Family Group in their area. All it takes is one or two people besides just you to get a meeting going.

As far as speaking in front of a lot of people......the groups often start with only two or three people and grow from there. It gives time for people to build confidence. And there is nothing to be ashamed of......I wish we could do away with the shame associated with addiction and loving someone who is addicted. We are all humans....worthy of love and respect.

Thanks for bringing up the suitable venue issue! There are so many places that can help with a venue. Any public meeting place (someone suggested we look into Fire Stations!) could be a possible venue. Churches often are very cooperative and willing. Hospitals often have meeting rooms. Grange Halls. Community Rooms. There are a lot of places that are willing to help.

I'm so glad to hear that some of you are interested in starting groups in your area. Talk to people after Al-Anon meetings. Begin to network and develop a list of contacts and friends. Attend speakers meetings. Get involved. You'll be amazed how your list of friends will grow and you'll have support that you never imagined.

It's worth it......really.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 06-27-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GardenMama View Post
I have attended both Al-Anon and Nar-Anon and find them so different because of the illegal & extreme danger that drugs add to the mix. I always felt I was kind of scaring people at Al-Anon meetings with my early story and introductions.
Yes! Thank you, I can relate. My husband is a heroine addict. There are no Nar-Anon meetings in my area. I have attended Al-Anon meetings & l also felt like my stories were like something out of a horror movie. That being said, I still found comfort after attending. I have 4 sons & am due to have my 5th in just 9 weeks. With my husband being curently MIA & actively using I rarely get out on my own to attend a meeting. Thank God for this online resource!