off topic....this heat! ahh!

Old 06-25-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

off topic....this heat! ahh!

Being eight months pregnant without air conditioning and temps in the 90's with high humidity just might be the death of me! Ok, ok...so that's a little dramatic. It's d*mn miserable in this house right now though. The kids are keeping cool in their pool and that little 6' circle of water is starting to look pretty inviting. Anyone else roasting?
Old 06-25-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tryingtoletgo3 View Post
Being eight months pregnant without air conditioning and temps in the 90's with high humidity just might be the death of me! Ok, ok...so that's a little dramatic. It's d*mn miserable in this house right now though. The kids are keeping cool in their pool and that little 6' circle of water is starting to look pretty inviting. Anyone else roasting?
Thankfully I bought air conditioners about a month ago. I had only installed one tiny little 5000 btu one and it actually kept my whole house cool (It's an open plan 100 year old house), but yesterday, NOPE. Installed the second one, couldn't take the humidity anymore. Just walking the dogs is trying, I come back and I am soaked in sweat! It's awful. I cannot even imagine being pregnant, no air conditioning in this humidity! You poor thing. Take cold showers, put a bowl of ice in front of a fan and drinks lots of fluids. Take care of yourself.

Thankfully, ours is ending in the next day, so I will finally be able to open my windows again.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Jules

I'm so sorry for you! I couldn't imagine how bad that must be. Drink lots of fluids!!
Old 06-25-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dear Trying, I have a few tricks that I have learned for rapid cool-down under difficult circumstances.

1. Use plastic water bottles (esp. liter bottles) and store in refrigerator---wrap in towel and place close to body.

2. Use plastic bottles and place in freezer (standing upright until frozen before replacing cap). These will stay cold for many hours. Good to keep bed and body cool at night.

3. Use spray bottle--same technique. Spritz the body with the icewater while in front of a fan. The evaporation causes great cooling!

4. Store pillow in freezer for hot muggy nights.

You have my empathy. I live just outside of D.C. (Virginia side) and we are swamped right now with the very high humidity and temps from low to m id 90's.

The humidity in the d.C. area can become absolutely oppressive in mid summer!!

dandylion
Old 06-25-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I feel for you too. You could try going to a movie or an air conditioned mall.. Cold showers work for me too.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sometimes for me, it's just a matter of getting really cooled off and then I will be okay for a while. If things get really really bad, you could treat yourself to a night in an air conditioned hotel!
Old 06-25-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I broke a sweat cleaning INSIDE my house today WITH the a/c running.... Its just THAT hot, ugh. I can't even imagine being in my 3rd trimester!!

We found the neatest thing a few weeks ago tho, they are called Frogg Toggs (sp?) And they really work!!! RAH has been using them to keep in the FL heat during work. (he's in construction & out in the heat daily) He had been having really bad issues with the heat this year (dehydration, etc) and these have been an incredible help. We picked one up at Walmart & it was big enough to cut into 3 of the size that works for him.

Worth checking out!
Old 06-25-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Yep, sweat in a cold shower down here.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

feet in cool water, bag of frozen peas on your neck. i'm so sorry for your suffering....up your water intake as you don't want to swell with edema...really really take care of you.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Luckily I work in air conditioning all day. I called my parents and told them they are being invaded this weekend so we can suck up their cool air. I'm normally a heat lover, but my babies obviously are not... I swore last summer while I was pregnant with my 10 month old that I would never be pregnaant in the heat again. OOOPS. I have only myself to blame.....D*mn STBXAH and his irresistable naked charms
Old 06-25-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the great tips!
Old 06-25-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yellow Chilly Pad

Here they are for anyone interested, seriously amazing! They also make it in a bandana size. We got 1 at Walmart for about $13, but looks like they are running a special on their website for 2/$20. Like I said, it comes in a large size & per the manufacturer, they are intended to be cut down to whatever size fits your needs.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

D*mn STBXAH and his irresistible naked charms
:rotfxko

Somehow, I managed with all 3 kids, one in late August, one in late September, one in early October (in Georgia, it could still be Indian summer in October).

wow, I do feel for you. Yes, like anvilhead said, careful of that dang edema too!
I was hospitalized for the last one, (born in mid september).

I bookmarked the site to get some chilly pads on payday.
they look fantastic for those hot hot moments I have been having.
damn middle age!
<shaking my fist futilely>
oh, wait, I made it to middle age!
*****!

tryingtoletgo, take a pic of you now, when you are miserable, and bring that out if he comes around naked!
just sayin!
that made me laugh out loud, really!
Old 06-26-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

another great thing is "Florida Water"

of course being pregnant - please check with your dr - we use it for the granddaughters playing softball tournaments - but I'm not sure if it is ok for expectant mothers -

you find it in the cologne section at places like Walgreens Walmart and other drug stores - bottle cost less about $5 and last forever ~

mix about 1 cap full with a medium cooler of ice & water - then take small hand towels, dipped in mixture ~ use to rub on face, back of neck, arms & legs down ~ always be careful not to ingest any of the water ~

It is very refreshing & cooling ~
Old 06-26-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Pregnancy + edema is the WORST! I had such a bad case my last month with my youngest kiddo that I was grateful to give birth! And it was only June in Oklahoma...

It's hot here in Alaska too. I know, I know...my hot is like your spring time. But when you aren't used to heat and with no a/c...not fun.

My assistant swears by a fan with a bowl of ice in front of it. I haven't tried it yet but will if we hit 80 again today. Yes, 80 to me is HOT!
Old 06-27-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
I haven't tried it yet but will if we hit 80 again today. Yes, 80 to me is HOT!
Isn't that funny what weather we are accustom to?

In Louisiana, starting around the middle of May, in the morning when I am driving to work at 4:30 am - it is between 78-82 degrees and usually still in the 90's at 7:30 pm ~ this will last until September. And it's really not that bad to me

July is when we will see the triple digits ~ NOW that's pretty hot

BUT I'll be honest with you - once you go below 55 degrees - I can't get my hoodie and sweatpants on fast enough AND I'm bringing in the firewood to help Mr. PINK build a fire in the fireplace!!
Old 06-27-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I broke down and found a used air conditioner to put upstairs to keep me and the kiddos bedrooms cool. What a relief. I think the humidity is getting to me more than the actual heat.

wicked- I have put guards in place to ensure I never fall for the naked offerings of he STBXAH again....Plus, finding out the women he had cheated with prior to our split and the few I have seen him with since...Not touching that with a ten foot pole!
Sent me straight back to the Dr telling them to check again to make sure! Yuck!

The ways we codies lower ourselves....
Old 06-27-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MsPINKAcres View Post
Isn't that funny what weather we are accustom to?

BUT I'll be honest with you - once you go below 55 degrees - I can't get my hoodie and sweatpants on fast enough AND I'm bringing in the firewood to help Mr. PINK build a fire in the fireplace!!
Now I, as a Wisconsin girl, am totally still going out for a run in shorts and a tank top at 55 degrees!

I would absolutely die in your heat and humidity, cannot function in that at all. Even as it is here now, I don't like to even sit down b/c all the furniture feels damp and icky....